Can we please get rid of this rule

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Can we please get rid of this rule

Post by Orange and Brown »

The rule was put into place so that teams don't "show each other up" in warmups. It was supposed to be a an unsportsmanlike conduct kind of rule.
I definitely believe it is outdated and needs to be done away with. Having said that, the kids know the rule and if they don't then their coach is an idiot for not teaching them.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:41 am The rule was put into place so that teams don't "show each other up" in warmups. It was supposed to be a an unsportsmanlike conduct kind of rule.
I definitely believe it is outdated and needs to be done away with. Having said that, the kids know the rule and if they don't then their coach is an idiot for not teaching them.
But they’re allowed to show each other up before the officials come out?

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

wasn't the rule put in for the old rims bolted to the glass.
didn't have breakaways
now with the breakaways should be aloud

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

They would still call a T. Some kid on the JV team will hang on the rim. I like the rule since it makes dunking in the game so much cooler

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

story told
D1 school A had a rivalry game against D1 school B
school A all had the flu and their AD called and asked to reschedule
school B said NO because it would be easy Win
school A shows up and First kid in layup line tears off the Rim
Game is postponed following year Dunking with Refs on the court Banned

Funny little story

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Big Daddy 7371 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:55 pm story told
D1 school A had a rivalry game against D1 school B
school A all had the flu and their AD called and asked to reschedule
school B said NO because it would be easy Win
school A shows up and First kid in layup line tears off the Rim
Game is postponed following year Dunking with Refs on the court Banned

Funny little story
Haha! Cincinnati Summit Country exploded our backboard one year. Real game breaker.

the shadow
Waterboy

Post by the shadow »

mlittle wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:02 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:09 am
mlittle wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:42 pm What is the purpose of the technical foul for dunking in warmups once the refs come out?
It’s actually a rule designed to go after the families of transfers. People used to get mad at 70’s theme songs, so now it’s all about taking out supe-athlete.
The season we are having
Waiting on gems like this! Keep living through your kid dude!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

the shadow wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:42 pm
mlittle wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:02 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:09 am

It’s actually a rule designed to go after the families of transfers. People used to get mad at 70’s theme songs, so now it’s all about taking out supe-athlete.
The season we are having
Waiting on gems like this! Keep living through your kid dude!
I also say WE when talking about our girls basketball and softball teams, our track team and our football team. I use WE when talking about The Ohio state buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals and my beloved Los Angeles Lakers. Guess I’m living through a lot of different people now that you mention it. DUDE

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Unsportsmanlike conduct to dunk and show up other team in warmups, but just fine to dunk during game, stare down , flex and make an arse out of yourself during the game....Makes a lot of sense in todays society...…….

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mrwonderful wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:38 pm Unsportsmanlike conduct to dunk and show up other team in warmups, but just fine to dunk during game, stare down , flex and make an arse out of yourself during the game....Makes a lot of sense in todays society...…….
Exactly

E High
All State

Post by E High »

If u break a rim in pregame, then the game will probably be canceled. That’s the reason for the RULE. Really !! Go by the rules people !!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

E High wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 pm If u break a rim in pregame, then the game will probably be canceled. That’s the reason for the RULE. Really !! Go by the rules people !!
I Wonder if there is a similar likelihood of the game being canceled if the rim is broken when the game starts

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

E High wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 pm If u break a rim in pregame, then the game will probably be canceled. That’s the reason for the RULE. Really !! Go by the rules people !!
I Wonder if there is a similar likelihood of the game being canceled if the rim is broken when the game starts

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Most of Wheelersburg's starting five and some on the bench can throw it down, yet nobody can watch it because of this rule. I would let them dunk a little to get the crowd entertained.

WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

It is ridiculous. I have been told that the original purpose of the rule was to keep rims from getting bent from too much hanging. Of course this was the pre-break-away rim days, which makes the rule irrelevant.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

mlittle wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:49 am
Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:41 am The rule was put into place so that teams don't "show each other up" in warmups. It was supposed to be a an unsportsmanlike conduct kind of rule.
But they’re allowed to show each other up before the officials come out?
No they aren't allowed to dunk in warm ups at all. Teams just do it before the refs get out because no one is there to enforce and give a Technical.
mlittle wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:04 am
Its a smaller likelihood of a kid getting a breakaway in a game, similar to what they would get in a layup line.

Now, having said all that, i don't agree with the rule in this day and age either.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm
mlittle wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:42 pm What is the purpose of the technical foul for dunking in warmups once the refs come out?
... I agree !!! Warren vs Waverly at Piketon back on Nov 30th ! BOTH teams were called for a technical for dunking in warm ups BOTH coaches had to SIT the entire game :roll: ... com'on man !!! let them play !!! let them dunk in warm ups !!!
Both teams were assessed a team foul. Coaches didn’t have to sit. Warrens coach was told to sit after complaining about everything...and I do mean everything!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

We had it happen Saturday night and the coach lost his box. Had to sit entire night

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

It might be a stupid rule, but if it’s a rule....follow it. Dunking in pregame doesn’t bother me personally. I like to watch the Pregame All-Staters because they do nothing once the game starts.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mikepike wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm
... I agree !!! Warren vs Waverly at Piketon back on Nov 30th ! BOTH teams were called for a technical for dunking in warm ups BOTH coaches had to SIT the entire game :roll: ... com'on man !!! let them play !!! let them dunk in warm ups !!!
Both teams were assessed a team foul. Coaches didn’t have to sit. Warrens coach was told to sit after complaining about everything...and I do mean everything!
Why did Coach Robertson have to sit the entire game as well ?

Return to “Boys Basketball”