Can we please get rid of this rule

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Can we please get rid of this rule

Post by mlittle »

Seopnation wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 pm just adding to the conversation. I still stand by my initial statement that the rule is outdated:

FOR the Rule: Lets say there's 12 kids on each team. 1/3 of them can dunk. Another 1/3 think they can dunk but really just grab the rim. If you go normal 2-line drills for 15 min warmups, and each kid gets 1.5 attemps per minute (guessing based on the amount of time it takes a kid to get through both lines). That's 360 chances that the rim/backboard could be damaged. Now compare that to a regular 32 minute game where there may be 2-3 chances at MAX for a kid to throw one down.

AGAINST the Rule: Since the inception of the break-a-way rims in the NBA, there has been next to no backboard or rims broken. The chances of a high school aged (and weight/strengthend) kid being able to break a rim or backboard is next to none. It also adds an excitement factor to the games which could potentially draw in more fans and $$$.
Exactly! When was the last time an NBA or college rim or backboard has been broken in warmups or game? And those rims are taking MAJOR abuse

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Reading through almost 4 pages of comments I haven't read a good reason to do away with the rule yet. I don't attend games to watch a dunk contest in warm ups. Even dunks in the open court. What's the big deal? When a kid dunks on someone or makes a move in the post and dunks maybe then it will be something to get excited about.
Some people want change just for the sake of change.
Leave the rule as it is.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

So you can dunk before refs come out? So for that time there is no way the rim or backboard can be messed up or anyone can get hurt or it’s ok to show up the other team during that timeframe. Doesn’t make any sense.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Stupid conversation. How about we encourage kids to work on their ball handling and shooting skills. The game would be so much better and maybe more people would come back to watch games.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Raiderball wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:54 pm Reading through almost 4 pages of comments I haven't read a good reason to do away with the rule yet. I don't attend games to watch a dunk contest in warm ups. Even dunks in the open court. What's the big deal? When a kid dunks on someone or makes a move in the post and dunks maybe then it will be something to get excited about.
Some people want change just for the sake of change.
Leave the rule as it is.
Would changing the rule keep you from coming to games?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

E High wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:58 pm Stupid conversation. How about we encourage kids to work on their ball handling and shooting skills. The game would be so much better and maybe more people would come back to watch games.
Yes, because allowing dunking in pregaming would totally have a huge impact on kids working on fundamentals

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

67 replies about dunking in pregame warm ups and Pfloyds rankings have less than 40? We are doing a real disservice to Pfloyd’s hard work. It’s become really hard to keep a topic going with healthy debate because someone gets their feelings hurt. If you think your team is 20 points better than my team that’s fine. Your allowed to have your opinion!
Now...pregame dunks.....I’m fine with the way it is now. We could make it a warning and not a technical🤪

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

JC2124 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 pm 67 replies about dunking in pregame warm ups and Pfloyds rankings have less than 40? We are doing a real disservice to Pfloyd’s hard work. It’s become really hard to keep a topic going with healthy debate because someone gets their feelings hurt. If you think your team is 20 points better than my team that’s fine. Your allowed to have your opinion!
Now...pregame dunks.....I’m fine with the way it is now. We could make it a warning and not a technical🤪
You can plug Pfloyds thread without hating on mine. Lol

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

JC2124 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 pm 67 replies about dunking in pregame warm ups and Pfloyds rankings have less than 40? We are doing a real disservice to Pfloyd’s hard work. It’s become really hard to keep a topic going with healthy debate because someone gets their feelings hurt. If you think your team is 20 points better than my team that’s fine. Your allowed to have your opinion!
I think the reason the replies are down on the rankings is because a majority of the posters teams are doing really well so not a ton of debate. Now if Jackson was at 12 or Waverly at 22 we’d have 3 million replies on that thing

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just do the finger roll!!!!!!!!! Like Dr J and the Ice Man

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:10 pm
Seopnation wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 pm just adding to the conversation. I still stand by my initial statement that the rule is outdated:

FOR the Rule: Lets say there's 12 kids on each team. 1/3 of them can dunk. Another 1/3 think they can dunk but really just grab the rim. If you go normal 2-line drills for 15 min warmups, and each kid gets 1.5 attemps per minute (guessing based on the amount of time it takes a kid to get through both lines). That's 360 chances that the rim/backboard could be damaged. Now compare that to a regular 32 minute game where there may be 2-3 chances at MAX for a kid to throw one down.

AGAINST the Rule: Since the inception of the break-a-way rims in the NBA, there has been next to no backboard or rims broken. The chances of a high school aged (and weight/strengthend) kid being able to break a rim or backboard is next to none. It also adds an excitement factor to the games which could potentially draw in more fans and $$$.
Exactly! When was the last time an NBA or college rim or backboard has been broken in warmups or game? And those rims are taking MAJOR abuse
One hell of a difference between a college board setup v a high schools set up.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Pol pot wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:05 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:10 pm

One hell of a difference between a college board setup v a high schools set up.
You’re right. The biggest difference is the monsters in college and NBA hanging on them every minute vs the 5’11 white kid in high school doing layups and popping the front of the rim every 5th layup

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

mlittle wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:41 pm
This would be a very dry place without you Mr Little lol. Some folks seem to struggle with your sense of humor though.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

JC2124 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:43 pm
This would be a very dry place without you Mr Little lol. Some folks seem to struggle with your sense of humor though.
If by some you mean most then yes some do struggle with it!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Last thing he needs is a swollen head

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:01 pm

Last thing he needs is a swollen head
It’s actually my heart that grew 3 times this day.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

It’s all about the love mlittle lol. Ironman92 makes some good points he just isn’t funny 😳

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I92 still my favorite. ❤️
I wanna see the kids slam jam. Screw that rule. Get the T. Yolo

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Anyone seen that TVLand is playing reruns of Welcome Back Kotter? One of my favorite 70’s shows.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:51 pm Anyone seen that TVLand is playing reruns of Welcome Back Kotter? One of my favorite 70’s shows.
You’re on the wrong topic. Start a thread where Unioto is 15-3 and make all the funny comments ya want clown 🤡. Hahahahaha

Return to “Boys Basketball”