Small schools

Hoopie74
SEOP

Small schools

Post by Hoopie74 »

Anyone who has ever been to Peebles ,knows that our sports teams will fight to the end. Not always the best ,but; they will compete. We are in the middle of no where. Our neighboring schools,Northwest,Piketons,Western Latham,Whiteoak,North Adams and West Union play sports against each other like they are killing snakes. A big deal for us is making the channel 5 news like we did the Friday night. Everyone around watched the news clip of Dawson Mills jumping out of bounds,grabbing the ball and throwing it down court where Kyle Lighter grabbed the ball and went in for a crowd stirring slam. The crowd went nuts.
They don't like each other while the games are on ,but; are usually friends off the field or court. The one thing that hurts each small school program is getting enough players to compete year in and year out. They like to stay at THEIR schools.
Travel is a big thing and most families don't have enough money to send their kids to camps or travel ball so a good program from biddy ball thru high school is imperative. Most of the kids play several sports so a year round single sport atalete is usually non existent here. I believe Joe Burrow was a good example of a kid who grew to a man playing several sports.
School pride is # 1 in Adams county. The schools out in the sticks. Let's hear about your small schools and the bigger schools in southeast Ohio.
Last edited by Hoopie74 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Small schools

Post by mlittle »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:46 pm Anyone who has ever been to Peebles ,knows that our sports teams will fight to the end. Not always the best ,but; they will compete. We are in the middle of no where. Our neighboring schools,Northwest,Piketons,Western Latham,Whiteoak,North Adams and West Union play sports against each other like they are killing snakes.
They don't like each other while the games are on ,but; are usually friends off the field or court. The one thing that hurts each small school program is getting enough players to compete year in and year out. They like to stay at THEIR schools.
Travel is a big thing and most families don't have enough money to send their kids to camps or travel ball so a good program from biddy ball thru high school is imperative. Most of the kids play several sports so a year round single sport atalete is usually non existent here. I believe Joe Burrow was a good example of a kid who grew to a man playing several sports.
School pride is # 1 in Adams county. The schools out in the sticks. Let's hear about your small schools and the bigger schools in southeast Ohio.
This sounds like a recruiting post for Peebles. Can you do one for Unioto next?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:53 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:46 pm Anyone who has ever been to Peebles ,knows that our sports teams will fight to the end. Not always the best ,but; they will compete. We are in the middle of no where. Our neighboring schools,Northwest,Piketons,Western Latham,Whiteoak,North Adams and West Union play sports against each other like they are killing snakes.
Haha! You know better than that. Tell us about your schools. We all love our schools and programs. That's what I want to hear.I know some things about Zane Trace. Dave Singer who graduated from Peebles in 1978 raised his kids up there. They were very good players for the pioneers.
Last edited by Hoopie74 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm
Haha! You know better than that. Tell us about your schools. We all love our schools and programs. That's what I want to hear.
Lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak school district is 43 miles wide and the high school is only 3 miles from the western edge...but very narrow north to south...think Tennessee . So many of the small district cannot play sports as their parents can’t swing the 50-80 miles a day in gas to pick up kids from practice. Kids on that end of the school district are closer to 14 other high schools than Whiteoak.

Whiteoak made the final 4 in 2002 and went to the Convo 8 straight years from 2000-07 including 1 final 4, a regional runner up and a regional semifinalist. The Baseball team made the final 4 a couple years ago. Despite the crazy shaped district and economically disadvantaged, the district is growing and improving. People are moving into the district as the academics and state scores have greatly improved.

Whiteoak is a good place to be.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:06 pm Whiteoak school district is 43 miles wide and the high school is only 3 miles from the western edge...but very narrow north to south...think Tennessee . So many of the small district cannot play sports as their parents can’t swing the 50-80 miles a day in gas to pick up kids from practice. Kids on that end of the school district are closer to 14 other high schools than Whiteoak.

Whiteoak made the final 4 in 2002 and went to the Convo 8 straight years from 2000-07 including 1 final 4, a regional runner up and a regional semifinalist. The Baseball team made the final 4 a couple years ago. Despite the crazy shaped district and economically disadvantaged, the district is growing and improving. People are moving into the district as the academics and state scores have greatly improved.

That's what I like to hear. I know you love that school. Bottom to top their program is making great strides again.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:09 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:06 pm Whiteoak school district is 43 miles wide and the high school is only 3 miles from the western edge...but very narrow north to south...think Tennessee . So many of the small district cannot play sports as their parents can’t swing the 50-80 miles a day in gas to pick up kids from practice. Kids on that end of the school district are closer to 14 other high schools than Whiteoak.

That's what I like to hear. I know you love that school. Bottom to top their program is making great strides again.
I also know that Jackson's program is really starting to Excell. Great program bottom to top.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Haha! You know better than that. Tell us about your schools. We all love our schools and programs. That's what I want to hear.I know some things about Zane Trace. Dave Singer who graduated from Peebles in 1978 raised his kids up there. They were very good players for the pioneers.
Lucas and Nate both cracked 1,000 points for ZT and were outstanding all around players. Wish they would’ve stayed at Peebles since they torched us often 😂

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:26 pm

Lucas and Nate both cracked 1,000 points for ZT and were outstanding all around players. Wish they would’ve stayed at Peebles since they torched us often 😂
Their mom and my wife were good friends in school. Dave graduated with my wife. Great family.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

For 50 or so years Jackson has been a football school and the basketball team had only 2 league titles in that time. District appearances about 3x in that same span...more 1000 scorers transfer than stay and do it there....but now, Homegrown coach who was a star player and alum and last year reached the district finals and this year are sitting at 15-2...you better play defense and you better play hard as hell. Program is high right now and wanting higher. 7th grade through varsity we are something like 58-10....youth rec league is strong and travel teams down through 3rd grade are competing very well. Gone are the days the big timers are leaving. Still a football school but Jackson basketball is loud and proud and it’s set for a long successful run. 6 years ago I think the JV and varsity combined for 2 wins....might hit around 38 this year.

Go Ironmen

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 pm For 50 or so years Jackson has been a football school and the basketball team had only 2 league titles in that time. District appearances about 3x in that same span...more 1000 scorers transfer than stay and do it there....but now, Homegrown coach who was a star player and alum and last year reached the district finals and this year are sitting at 15-2...you better play defense and you better play hard as hell. Program is high right now and wanting higher. 7th grade through varsity we are something like 58-10....youth rec league is strong and travel teams down through 3rd grade are competing very well. Gone are the days the big timers are leaving. Still a football school but Jackson basketball is loud and proud and it’s set for a long successful run. 6 years ago I think the JV and varsity combined for 2 wins....might hit around 38 this year.

Go Ironmen
In my opinion this is an example of what made the great programs like Portsmouth so successful thru all the years. All the kids wanted to stay and play.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Webster produces athletes every year but we lose some good ones every year. Doesn’t help being neighbors with Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, and Minford.

Both of my Nieces who play(ed) sports transferred out at least 1 year of high school from SW and went back. One to Burg and one to Minford and back.

Marshall footballs Cain Madden and star for Minford was from Webster until the peewee program died off. I graduated with his older brother.

Supposedly Truitt is a Websterite but I can neither confirm nor deny.

Anyway we all know we got the job done in the mid 2000’s in men’s ball. Late 2000’s featured Cincinattis Kayla Cook becoming the all time leading scorer in SW history with 2000+. Aldridge also had 2000.
Seems like we produce a lot of 1000pt scorers compared to other schools I see that have a banner up for that.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:47 pm Webster produces athletes every year but we lose some good ones every year. Doesn’t help being neighbors with Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, and Minford.

Both of my Nieces who play(ed) sports transferred out at least 1 year of high school from SW and went back. One to Burg and one to Minford and back.
Marshall footballs Cain Madden and star for Minford was from Webster until the peewee program died off. I graduated with his older brother.

Anyway we all know we got the job done in the mid 2000’s in men’s ball. Late 2000’s featured Cincinattis Kayla Cook becoming the all time leading scorer in SW history with 2000+. Aldridge also had 2000.
Seems like we produce a lot of 1000pt scorers compared to other schools I see that have a banner up for that.
My ole buddy Mike Rose and company kept the school pride going. His kids did the same in a big way. That's what I love. School pride and love of the game.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:51 pm
Swanker Pine wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:47 pm Webster produces athletes every year but we lose some good ones every year. Doesn’t help being neighbors with Wheelersburg, Oak Hill, and Minford.

My ole buddy Mike Rose and company kept the school pride going. His kids did the same in a big way. That's what I love. School pride and love of the game.
Yeah the whole family partakes in everything and has for years and years and years now. They bought the Giovanni’s building in town and have a restaurant now, still decked out in Jeep stuff.

I mean if you’re familiar at all with Webster, you know the only thing here is the school and a half ass subway sandwich place, two gas stations and a dollar store and a funeral home. Jeep pride is all we have

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:01 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Yeah the whole family partakes in everything and has for years and years and years now. They bought the Giovanni’s building in town and have a restaurant now, still decked out in Jeep stuff.

I mean if you’re familiar at all with Webster, you know the only thing here is the school and a half ass subway sandwich place, two gas stations and a dollar store and a funeral home. Jeep pride is all we have
Keep it alive. It's always there somewhere.tradition.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

I know that it’s taboo to consider small private schools as “small schools”, but screw it. Fisher Catholic of Lancaster has one of the more, well, unique histories and traditions. At 57 boys / 57 girls by the numbers for the OHSAA’s count, the school fields varsity squads in eighteen (18) sports (in addition to the ‘typical sports’, they field boys and girls soccer, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls bowling and swimming.) In 2008, the school had 317 students; 2011, it had 240 students, in 2014 it had 180 and in 2020 it has 163. The school has always been haunted with the postseason. 1998 football lost the D6 state title to Delphos St John in which the DSJ running back set the still-standing rushing record in a state game. 05 Baseball lost state title to the only OHSAA state champion across any sport to have won a title with a losing record. 0-10(?) in district finals for the 2010’s, including 0-7 in baseball (each loss became more and more heartbreaking and hinging on one play, a la infamous Cleveland sports history moments.) Did win the 2015 D3 state title in golf, with their #1 also participating in the state XC meet that same fall (went on to do XC for Ohio State.)

Anyways, For Right Or For Wrong, the school doesn’t amplify its athletics image at all. That’s despite the fact they are usually very tough in all of their sports and will beat larger nearby schools, albeit some years wax and others wane. Instead, it champions the faith and academic tradition aspects. They don’t put any athletic banners on the home side wall to show off to visiting fans, instead only their Ohio Academic Competition accolades (same exact deal with their trophy cases and where they’re positioned when you walk in.) They also just saw 2/3 (100 kids) of their student body attend the March for Life in DC this past week. Extremely high levels of student involvement in both academic/religious and athletic extracurricular activities each, very devoted fan following for the big games. Rivalry games against Berne Union outdraw all other matchups across/among every MSL-Cardinal school, year after year. Lots of pride in their well-kept baseball and softball facilities as well as the on-campus soccer field.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:23 pm I know that it’s taboo to consider small private schools as “small schools”, but screw it. Fisher Catholic of Lancaster has one of the more, well, unique histories and traditions. At 57 boys / 57 girls by the numbers for the OHSAA’s count, the school fields varsity squads in eighteen (18) sports (in addition to the ‘typical sports’, they field boys and girls soccer, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls bowling and swimming.) In 2008, the school had 317 students; 2011, it had 240 students, in 2014 it had 180 and in 2020 it has 163. The school has always been haunted with the postseason. 1998 football lost the D6 state title to Delphos St John in which the DSJ running back set the still-standing rushing record in a state game. 05 Baseball lost state title to the only OHSAA state champion across any sport to have won a title with a losing record. 0-10(?) in district finals for the 2010’s, including 0-7 in baseball (each loss became more and more heartbreaking and hinging on one play, a la infamous Cleveland sports history moments.) Did win the 2015 D3 state title in golf, with their #1 also participating in the state XC meet that same fall (went on to do XC for Ohio State.)

Anyways, For Right Or For Wrong, the school doesn’t amplify its athletics image at all. That’s despite the fact they are usually very tough in all of their sports and will beat larger nearby schools, albeit some years wax and others wane. Instead, it champions the faith and academic tradition aspects. They don’t put any athletic banners on the home side wall to show off to visiting fans, instead only their Ohio Academic Competition accolades (same exact deal with their trophy cases and where they’re positioned when you walk in.) They also just saw 2/3 (100 kids) of their student body attend the March for Life in DC this past week. Extremely high levels of student involvement in both academic/religious and athletic extracurricular activities each, very devoted fan following for the big games. Rivalry games against Berne Union outdraw all other matchups across/among every MSL-Cardinal school, year after year. Lots of pride in their well-kept baseball and softball facilities as well as the on-campus soccer field.
That's what I'm talking about. Love hearing these things.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto sits on the former WWI training site, Camp Sherman, just outside of Chillicothe (less than 3 miles). That is why the mascot is officially the Shermans. Once sherman tanks became known after their usage in WWII, people began adding Tanks to the mascot. It is still officially the Shermans though.

The school has only moved once, but the original school that was built in the 1930’s still stands and is in use for the administration after it was renovated in the mid-90’s. The current school sits in both Union and Scioto townships (hence, Unioto), with the gymnasium and most of the middle school being in Union, while most of the classrooms are in Scioto.

The first graduating class in the 30’s graduated with less than 15 students and didn’t grow past 40 students until they moved into the current school in 1973. It is now the 2nd largest school in Ross County and quickly growing. They will likely outgrow the current school in the next 10 years due to the amount of housing being built within the district, among other factors.

The athletic programs struggled for much of the first 25 years of the school, while the student population was very low. The athletics have flourished in the past 25 years for boys, and 35 years for girls.

The boys soccer program is one of two SE teams to reach the Final Four (Lucasville Valley is the other), the boys Cross Country program has reached the state championships 16 of the past 17 years and recently finished 2nd in D2. The boys Golf team has reached the state championships 11 times. The baseball, soccer, and all girls programs consistently have success.

Unioto has had tough luck in the girls state finals in basketball, twice losing by 1 point in the finals, with one time being on 2 FTs with no time on the clock.

This might rub people the wrong way, but Unioto only has one rival, which is Zane Trace. They are both in close proximity with each other and have been pretty fierce rivals for decades.

Currently, we have had several students transfer into Unioto, which I believe has a lot to do with our success, but also our academics and how welcoming the community is. I believe that there’s at least 2 members of this forum who can attest to that.

Athletics are important at Unioto, but even better is that a majority of the school is in the MADE Drug Free Club, while the amount of AP and accelerated classes are increasing by the year.

Finally, boys basketball has had several ebbs and flows over the past 30 years, with the 90’s being outstanding (state runner-ups in 91), abysmal in the 00’s, and now consistently good in the 10’s to now. Coach Hoops is 14 wins away from the school record for wins for a boys program, part of which shows how patient the administration was with the complete rebuild which started 16-48 (his record at Unioto is now 192-103)

Our gym (uncomfortably) seats 1,254 fans and is typically full by the 2nd quarter of the JV game. There was a flood in 2013, which led to the gym floor being replaced for the first time in 40 years.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:29 am Unioto sits on the former WWI training site, Camp Sherman, just outside of Chillicothe (less than 3 miles). That is why the mascot is officially the Shermans. Once sherman tanks became known after their usage in WWII, people began adding Tanks to the mascot. It is still officially the Shermans though.

The school has only moved once, but the original school that was built in the 1930’s still stands and is in use for the administration after it was renovated in the mid-90’s. The current school sits in both Union and Scioto townships (hence, Unioto), with the gymnasium and most of the middle school being in Union, while most of the classrooms are in Scioto.

The first graduating class in the 30’s graduated with less than 15 students and didn’t grow past 40 students until they moved into the current school in 1973. It is now the 2nd largest school in Ross County and quickly growing. They will likely outgrow the current school in the next 10 years due to the amount of housing being built within the district, among other factors.

The athletic programs struggled for much of the first 25 years of the school, while the student population was very low. The athletics have flourished in the past 25 years for boys, and 35 years for girls.

The boys soccer program is one of two SE teams to reach the Final Four (Lucasville Valley is the other), the boys Cross Country program has reached the state championships 16 of the past 17 years and recently finished 2nd in D2. The boys Golf team has reached the state championships 11 times. The baseball, soccer, and all girls programs consistently have success.

Unioto has had tough luck in the girls state finals in basketball, twice losing by 1 point in the finals, with one time being on 2 FTs with no time on the clock.

This might rub people the wrong way, but Unioto only has one rival, which is Zane Trace. They are both in close proximity with each other and have been pretty fierce rivals for decades.

Currently, we have had several students transfer into Unioto, which I believe has a lot to do with our success, but also our academics and how welcoming the community is. I believe that there’s at least 2 members of this forum who can attest to that.

Athletics are important at Unioto, but even better is that a majority of the school is in the MADE Drug Free Club, while the amount of AP and accelerated classes are increasing by the year.

Finally, boys basketball has had several ebbs and flows over the past 30 years, with the 90’s being outstanding (state runner-ups in 91), abysmal in the 00’s, and now consistently good in the 10’s to now. Coach Hoops is 14 wins away from the school record for wins for a boys program, part of which shows how patient the administration was with the complete rebuild which started 16-48 (his record at Unioto is now 192-103)

Our gym (uncomfortably) seats 1,254 fans and is typically full by the 2nd quarter of the JV game. There was a flood in 2013, which led to the gym floor being replaced for the first time in 40 years.
Awesome

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

Great story

Return to “Boys Basketball”