Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg 1/28

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Re: Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg 1/28

Post by BBALL99 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:24 pm
Bradley39 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:52 pm
PirateFan[69] wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 pm oak hills cheer block made a bad decision to sit where they did
Thought it was weird as well at first, but when I asked they said they were told to because OHSAA rules state that a cheer block cannot sit behind an opposing bench.

That must have changed right before this game because I’m pretty sure everyone else that Burg has played this year sat on the other end.
It is an SOC rule that the cheer block cant sit behind the opposing bench. At Burg, that is hard for the opposing team to do because of where Burgs cheerblock is located. The way it is set up now the opposing team has two choices, sit behind the Burg bench or sit beside Burg cheerblock.

IMO, Burg should switch where their bench is located and everything would be fine.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Thanks Northwest for that SOC rule 😂

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:24 pm
Bradley39 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:52 pm
PirateFan[69] wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 pm oak hills cheer block made a bad decision to sit where they did
Thought it was weird as well at first, but when I asked they said they were told to because OHSAA rules state that a cheer block cannot sit behind an opposing bench.

That must have changed right before this game because I’m pretty sure everyone else that Burg has played this year sat on the other end.
With their cheerblock right there, it allowed Burg's cheer block to boo every time they started a chant. I don't think I heard them but maybe two or three times.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Swanker Pine wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:46 am Thanks Northwest for that SOC rule 😂

Didn't that rule happen because of a game between Northwest and SW? Can't remember the year, but didnt a NW player go into the cheerblock?

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm Big win for Burg to stay in the one loss column with Waverly.

Game got a little sloppy at times. Burg missed a ton of bunny shots and was horrible from the line. I think they missed 7 in a row at one time. They hit those this game is not even close.

Burg needs to win out and bring home another gold trophy and hopefully get a top 3 seed.
Oaks missed about half their free throws as well. Not a shooting showcase last night for sure

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I figured burg would win this. 1-5 they are better with a deeper bench. Norm does a great job of getting his team ready. Hammond best player on the court. Probably should get player of the year along with Robinson.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 am I figured burg would win this. 1-5 they are better with a deeper bench. Norm does a great job of getting his team ready. Hammond best player on the court. Probably should get player of the year along with Robinson.

Hammond best player on the floor????? Really!!!!!!!

I just didn't see that. He can't shoot a lick from the outside or the FT line. He dips his shoulder into the defender more than any player I've ever seen. It was only called once last night as a charge.

If I'm playing the Oaks and I'm down 3-5 in the last three minutes of a game, I'm putting him on the line the rest of the game. Maybe he had an off night shooting but those two FT's he shot were absolute bricks. I would make him beat from there. The old Jim Valvano method

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:49 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 am I figured burg would win this. 1-5 they are better with a deeper bench. Norm does a great job of getting his team ready. Hammond best player on the court. Probably should get player of the year along with Robinson.

I just didn't see that. He can't shoot a lick from the outside or the FT line. He dips his shoulder into the defender more than any player I've ever seen. It was only called once last night as a charge.

If I'm playing the Oaks and I'm down 3-5 in the last three minutes of a game, I'm putting him on the line the rest of the game. Maybe he had an off night shooting but those two FT's he shot were absolute bricks. I would make him beat from there. The old Jim Valvano method
Agree. I don’t see him as best player on the floor. His percentage on the night was low and faded in the second half. Kid works really hard but not best on the floor.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

rxburgfan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:19 pm

Agree. I don’t see him as best player on the floor. His percentage on the night was low and faded in the second half. Kid works really hard but not best on the floor.
I’d love to know who you guys think would have been the best player on the court? This should be good.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SOC94 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:39 pm

I’d love to know who you guys think would have been the best player on the court? This should be good.
Hammond was the best player on the floor. Why? He’s the best at his position than any other player there. Does he have weaknesses? Yes. He’s not a an outside shooter and not a great ball handler, but In high school, he’s a post player and really good at it. It’s very difficult stopping him on a straight line drive to the basket. Next year though, with more strength mccorkle will be that guy, probably better.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Hammond has been a tremendous player all year long for Oak Hill, not only scoring but is one of the best at rebounding in SEO. Give McCorkle and at times Sanderline a little credit, as at times they played some pretty good defense against him. Every kid has good nights and not so good nights, believe it or not even sometimes Burg players as well. Even though Burg was pretty much in control 95% of the game, other than a few seconds in the 3rd Qtr, OH still outscored the Burg 36-35 the second half. When 3 of your starting 5 players only score a combined 2 total pts, it's really a wonder that OH only lost by 7 pts. As far as I'm concerned Drew Hanning scoring 22 pts in the second half for OH, gave them a chance to compete for the win, where as Matt Miller was the one Burg player that stepped up and got the momentum back in the Burgs favor after OH had rallied and taken the lead.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I would say Truitt was just as good as anyone on the floor. He hit some three’s and pretty much took the ball to the hole at will in the 4th qtr. If he hits his FT’s he scores 20 with a few rebounds.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:49 pm

I would say Truitt was just as good as anyone on the floor. He hit some three’s and pretty much took the ball to the hole at will in the 4th qtr. If he hits his FT’s he scores 20 with a few rebounds.
If hits free throws?...and a few rebounds? Doesn’t scream best player on the court that game

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ok, what made him the best player on the court for that game?? Like I said earlier, he can’t shoot from outside the lane and he for sure can’t shoot FT’s.

Burg proved you put a little defense on him and body him up he was totally taken out of his game. Hell, truth be known No. 10 for them was there best player on the floor last night. He kept them in the game in the 4th qtr with some clutch three’s and nice drives to the basket.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Comical

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Truitt was best player on the court, unquestioned, while he didn't have the best game out of everyone, he is the most talented player on the court.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I've always believed in the old saying "stats don't lie!"

Without even looking I would guarantee that Hammond has the most PPG and probably the most RPG of any player that was on the floor. As long as he's not a complete liability on the defensive end (he isn't) and averages at least a few assists (I'm certain he does), then it seems pretty clear that he was the best player on the floor.

With that said.... the SOC Player of the Year will be decided by two players -- Hammond from Oak Hill and Robertson from Waverly. Robertson is clearly the best player in the league but it depends if coaches will lean towards voting for a senior. Nonetheless, if Robertson is healthy he absolutely wins the SOC POY the next 2 seasons and possibly even this season as well.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:14 am I've always believed in the old saying "stats don't lie!"

Without even looking I would guarantee that Hammond has the most PPG and probably the most RPG of any player that was on the floor. As long as he's not a complete liability on the defensive end (he isn't) and averages at least a few assists (I'm certain he does), then it seems pretty clear that he was the best player on the floor.

With that said.... the SOC Player of the Year will be decided by two players -- Hammond from Oak Hill and Robertson from Waverly. Robertson is clearly the best player in the league but it depends if coaches will lean towards voting for a senior. Nonetheless, if Robertson is healthy he absolutely wins the SOC POY the next 2 seasons and possibly even this season as well.
No offense but stats are the worst indication of talent evaluation at this level. Hammond is THE only option the oaks have. Which means everything is going to funnel through him. Number 10 impressed me but I’ve not heard his name all year. So it’s Hammond or bust and it’s definitely evident watching that team. Burg game planned for Hammond this time. He was held way below his average. I still think he was the best player on the floor but it was just an eye test for me. Do I think he’s a true college prospect, no. He could end up at a NAIA school and work on his game but D3 Ohio basketball, he’s pretty good.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:24 am

No offense but stats are the worst indication of talent evaluation at this level. Hammond is THE only option the oaks have. Which means everything is going to funnel through him. Number 10 impressed me but I’ve not heard his name all year. So it’s Hammond or bust and it’s definitely evident watching that team. Burg game planned for Hammond this time. He was held way below his average. I still think he was the best player on the floor but it was just an eye test for me. Do I think he’s a true college prospect, no. He could end up at a NAIA school and work on his game but D3 Ohio basketball, he’s pretty good.
Wouldn't the flip side of that argument be.... every team knows he's the only option so every team plans to take him away.... and his PPG is still higher than anyone on the floor.

Wouldn't his stats be more valued considering he's constantly game planned against / double teamed?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Everyone has different opinions on this but I never understood not choosing player of the year from the winning team. I mean, how often is player of the game awarded to a player from the losing team? If you are an outstanding player on a team not as good, obviously your stats are going to be outstanding as well.

Return to “Boys Basketball”