Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg 1/28

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg 1/28

Post by bbjunky81 »

longball wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:30 am Everyone has different opinions on this but I never understood not choosing player of the year from the winning team. I mean, how often is player of the game awarded to a player from the losing team? If you are an outstanding player on a team not as good, obviously your stats are going to be outstanding as well.
I agree with that logic and that goes back to the age old question --- is Player of the Year the best player on the best team? The best player in the league? The one who averages the most points? The best upperclassmen? The player who is clearly the most valuable to their team?

Good news is the SOC (and other leagues) have helped alleviate this problem somewhat by voting for an Offensive Player of the Year and a Defensive Player of the Year. Rarely will the winning team not have a player win at least one of those two awards.

Offensive POY will most likely be between Hammond and Robertson

Defensive POY will be more up in the air.. Truitt/McCorkle from Burg, Oak Hill has a guard who's name is escaping me, Ruth from South Webster, Waverly's best defender etc.... not one guy stands out way above the rest so it could be an interesting vote.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:24 am

No offense but stats are the worst indication of talent evaluation at this level. Hammond is THE only option the oaks have. Which means everything is going to funnel through him. Number 10 impressed me but I’ve not heard his name all year. So it’s Hammond or bust and it’s definitely evident watching that team. Burg game planned for Hammond this time. He was held way below his average. I still think he was the best player on the floor but it was just an eye test for me. Do I think he’s a true college prospect, no. He could end up at a NAIA school and work on his game but D3 Ohio basketball, he’s pretty good.
Wouldn't the flip side of that argument be.... every team knows he's the only option so every team plans to take him away.... and his PPG is still higher than anyone on the floor.

Wouldn't his stats be more valued considering he's constantly game planned against / double teamed?
In my opinion, not necessarily, because burg has the ability to guard him somewhat. However, if oak hill had another post presence or another high level player , his point production probably comes down or comes up depending how the coach wants to play it. Hammond exploiting his size advantage against minford or west balloons his point production. That’s why I don’t look at stats. Holdens stats junior year weren’t that good compared to who he was.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

I must say I have been very impressed with the way this Burg team has played their last 5 ballgames , I see no back talking , mouthing their opponents , they are letting their effort and actions do the talking and it is working , I love the hustle and attitude , to me this makes all the difference to be a much better team, keep focused on your task at hand with discipline and attitude in line and the results speak for themselves

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:56 am Truitt was best player on the court, unquestioned, while he didn't have the best game out of everyone, he is the most talented player on the court.
When everyone makes that statement of the Best player on the court, what makes the Best player ? Hammonds was not the Best player on the court period , for sure not on this night , this was my first time watching him play and he does not did not have any confidence in his dribbling and did not look good on his free throw form and it showed , I will say he worked the hardest underneath the basket and I would have say that is where he has scored the majority of his points , obviously he has no out side shot .. I also would say the Best player on the court on this night and well rounded would be Truitt , he has a outside shot , handles the ball very well and inside game .

willferrell
Waterboy

Post by willferrell »

Sport Fan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:07 pm I must say I have been very impressed with the way this Burg team has played their last 5 ballgames , I see no back talking , mouthing their opponents , they are letting their effort and actions do the talking and it is working , I love the hustle and attitude , to me this makes all the difference to be a much better team, keep focused on your task at hand with discipline and attitude in line and the results speak for themselves
You must’ve been absent from Tuesday’s game...

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Anyone else see Oak Hill's coach going after Truitt after the game? They should be punished, lucklily the coach was held back

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

willferrell wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:24 pm
Sport Fan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:07 pm I must say I have been very impressed with the way this Burg team has played their last 5 ballgames , I see no back talking , mouthing their opponents , they are letting their effort and actions do the talking and it is working , I love the hustle and attitude , to me this makes all the difference to be a much better team, keep focused on your task at hand with discipline and attitude in line and the results speak for themselves
You must’ve been absent from Tuesday’s game...
Yes sir I was there sitting in front row … Your point

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:45 pm Anyone else see Oak Hill's coach going after Truitt after the game? They should be punished, lucklily the coach was held back
Yes I did and I could not believe that Norm had that temptation going after a kid, I am glad that it did not happen

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:45 pm Anyone else see Oak Hill's coach going after Truitt after the game? They should be punished, lucklily the coach was held back
Why? What did Truitt do?

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:42 pm
Why? What did Truitt do?
Nothing happened with any of the coaches. I think this is someone trying to troll. And Truitt’s antics on the court are pretty well documented so I won’t go any farther with that

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

3sUp wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:17 pm
Why? What did Truitt do?
Nothing happened with any of the coaches. I think this is someone trying to troll. And Truitt’s antics on the court are pretty well documented so I won’t go any farther with that
If nothing of the sorts happened then none of that stuff should be on here.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Why? What did Truitt do?
Something did happen but I think it was between players and a coach stepped in. One coach held another player back. Im assuming it was verbal exchange between that kid and burg kid. Oak hill coaches look mad 100 percent of the time so it’s hard to tell if they were actually mad at burg kid.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Why? What did Truitt do?
Truitt didnt do anything. Norm called the ref over to talk to him after a play and Truitt wanted to hear what was going on so he walked over close to Norm and the ref and that's when Norm said something to Truitt don't know what was said but Truitt didnt look too happy afterwards . But that's all that happened Truitt did not say anything back to Norm or the ref he just walked toward his bench and that was it

Burg grad 85
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Nothing happened at this game between players or coaches or refs it was a clean game and Burg got the job done.

Burg grad 85
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

scott1297 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:49 pm
Why? What did Truitt do?
Truitt didnt do anything. Norm called the ref over to talk to him after a play and Truitt wanted to hear what was going on so he walked over close to Norm and the ref and that's when Norm said something to Truitt don't know what was said but Truitt didnt look too happy afterwards . But that's all that happened Truitt did not say anything back to Norm or the ref he just walked toward his bench and that was it
Strange thing for a player to do.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:39 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Something did happen but I think it was between players and a coach stepped in. One coach held another player back. Im assuming it was verbal exchange between that kid and burg kid. Oak hill coaches look mad 100 percent of the time so it’s hard to tell if they were actually mad at burg kid.
That’s funny lol

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Who got the T at Greenup for the Burg. Radio said Miller?

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

I don’t mean to bring this back up but I think Hammond is a whole lot better than a couple of you are giving him credit for. Burg matches up with this team the best of anyone and he still put up double doubles of 22-12 and 11-14. He is probably shooting around 70% from the line this year he was just off the other night and he has a very capable shot but why hang out on the perimeter when you’re that imposing underneath? Drawing all the attention to himself down low is a big part of their offense. His teammates strengths blend well with that style since they’re all around 6-1 or shorter lol. They’re no second-rate players either. Stewart can stroke it from 3 and Hines, Donley, and Potter are all great defenders who constantly hustle for their points. And as some of you have mentioned #10 Hanning is a great scorer at all levels and a great defender as well. I’ve watched all the SOC teams and Hanning would be the #1 option for most of them and no less than #2 for a couple. In fact there isn’t many teams in the area that I wouldn’t take those 2 against their top 2.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

BBALL99 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:53 am
Swanker Pine wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:46 am Thanks Northwest for that SOC rule 😂

Didn't that rule happen because of a game between Northwest and SW? Can't remember the year, but didnt a NW player go into the cheerblock?
Yes. South Webster had a massive cheerblock the years we were state contenders. At Webster the visitors bench used to be where the home bench is now, which is right in front of the student section (Webster kids the past 5 years have sucked at supporting by the way)

I’ve heard different versions of what caused it and what was said but knowing who was involved from my town I’m not surprised. I was in the upper row and next thing I know it was a domino effect people falling down lol. Game was called as Webster probably had a 40-50 point lead. Benches were swapped next game

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:49 pm
SOC94 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:39 pm
rxburgfan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:19 pm

Agree. I don’t see him as best player on the floor. His percentage on the night was low and faded in the second half. Kid works really hard but not best on the floor.
I’d love to know who you guys think would have been the best player on the court? This should be good.
Hammond has been a tremendous player all year long for Oak Hill, not only scoring but is one of the best at rebounding in SEO. Give McCorkle and at times Sanderline a little credit, as at times they played some pretty good defense against him. Every kid has good nights and not so good nights, believe it or not even sometimes Burg players as well. Even though Burg was pretty much in control 95% of the game, other than a few seconds in the 3rd Qtr, OH still outscored the Burg 36-35 the second half. When 3 of your starting 5 players only score a combined 2 total pts, it's really a wonder that OH only lost by 7 pts. As far as I'm concerned Drew Hanning scoring 22 pts in the second half for OH, gave them a chance to compete for the win, where as Matt Miller was the one Burg player that stepped up and got the momentum back in the Burgs favor after OH had rallied and taken the lead.
Well your opinion is as good as mine and he’s not the best player on the floor in this game. If you lose both games to conference opponent then you don’t get to be the best player. I agree that Miller was difference maker I. Second half. Burg wins home and away.

Return to “Boys Basketball”