Wheelersburg @ Waverly Thurs 2/13

Kicker.
All Conference

Re: Wheelersburg @ Waverly Thurs 2/13

Post by Kicker. »

Great game top to bottom some spotty officiating both ways but typical, burg played as a team and finished off with a victory.
any idea with what Robertson finished with?

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm
smurray wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:09 pm The league isn’t over yet.
I know it’s just South Webster but they do have one more to play.
Just? Cmon man.
Lol...waverly and all their state titles looking down on Webster now? My, how far the Jeeps have fallen!

As for this one, burg kids stepped up and took care of business. Not surprising as those kids are winners*

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

As Mark Titus says, as long as you say the officiating was bad both ways its fine :lol:. Jokes aside I thought they did a good job

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

smurray wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:01 pm 4-4 FT’s from Sanderlin in OT was huge..
He’s a very solid player, especially for a freshman

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Congrats to the Pirates on a huge road win. Take care of business on Friday and the SOC is yours.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Very very hard fought game by both teams. Unfortunately my Tigers fell short! Waverly fought back at the end, lots of excitement from the crowd and was electric the whole night!!

Season isn’t over yet, tourney starts next week. Whole new season!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:23 pm Great game top to bottom some spotty officiating both ways but typical, burg played as a team and finished off with a victory.
any idea with what Robertson finished with?
Robertson 27
Futhey 12
Smallwood 8
Brown 4
Goodman 4

Truitt 19
Swords 14
Miller 10
McCorkle 9
Sanderlin 6
Adkins 2

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 pm
smurray wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:09 pm The league isn’t over yet.
I know it’s just South Webster but they do have one more to play.
Just? Cmon man.
Lol...waverly and all their state titles looking down on Webster now? My, how far the Jeeps have fallen!

As for this one, burg kids stepped up and took care of business. Not surprising as those kids are winners*
Sorry but not intended to knock SW at all. They gave the Tigers all they wanted earlier in the season at Waverly and are capable of knocking off the Pirates, but not many people expect it to happen is all I was saying.
I mentioned it because we would like nothing more than that to happen, not knocking them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Swords with 14...wow

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 pm Swords with 14...wow
Yes, 10 in the 3rd...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The real winner tonight was two communities coming together (other communities represented as well) to hep a family in a totally different community to the tune of $3,100.00
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CHIPPED IN TO SUPPORT THE SMITH FAMILY TONIGHT.
We can cheer for our teams and disagree with each other about things but the magic is being able to ban together for what really matters in life.
THANK YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS!!!!

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

Smurray...you are correct, great gesture and classy. That’s what sports should be about. Help another, fight your tales off to win, and an exciting well played, well coached and well officiated ballgame.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 pm The real winner tonight was two communities coming together (other communities represented as well) to hep a family in a totally different community to the tune of $3,100.00
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CHIPPED IN TO SUPPORT THE SMITH FAMILY TONIGHT.
We can cheer for our teams and disagree with each other about things but the magic is being able to ban together for what really matters in life.
THANK YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS!!!!
That’s great

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

What a great game to watch. Burg always plays well up there. Robertson is such a baller. He started off slow and then heated up. JJ truitt was fantastic as well. Prayers for the young men that were in the accident. Fun game

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

burgfella69 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 am
Swanker Pine wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:42 pm Wheelersburg trap game on Friday 😈😈😈
buddy

I ain’t your buddy, pal

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 am
Swanker Pine wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:42 pm Wheelersburg trap game on Friday 😈😈😈
buddy

I ain’t your buddy, pal
I ain’t your buddy, PAL? You’re some sort of special.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

laser breath wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:18 am
Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 am
buddy

I ain’t your buddy, pal
I ain’t your buddy, PAL? You’re some sort of special.
??? Multiple user names?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

This was a fun game to watch, I'm glad I made the trek to Waverly. I tried my best to keep some pfloyd style napkin notes so I'll do my best to record them here.

First and foremost I can circle back to one moment where this game was decided --- and that's the 3rd quarter. Wheelersburg only had 20 points at the half as Waverly was playing pretty solid man-to-man defense. As soon as the 3rd quarter began Waverly switched to a 2-3 zone, initially starting as a 1-1-3..... Wheelersburg torched it. Wheelersburg kept getting open 3 after open 3 and if that wasn't there they attacked the rim without much contest. The strange part is Waverly stayed in the zone for the entire quarter. Waverly gave up 22 points in the 3rd quarter running their zone --- they only gave up 20 in the entire first half.

Waverly switched back to man to man for the 4th and held Wheelersburg to only 8 points that quarter... So in 3 quarters of man to man they gave up 28 points.. In one quarter of zone they gave up ----- 22 points :shock:

As for the officiating, I really hated to see some of the comments before the game because I feel like that's added pressure for referees to perform. I know yabbadabba doesn't think Schwartzel gives Burg a fair shake but it was evident last night that he does. There was only one call all game I thought he got wrong and that was at the end of the 3rd he gave possession to Waverly instead of Burg... WITH THAT SAID - I was up in the bleachers and the play was directly infront of him. I could say it looked clearly off of Waverly from where I was sitting, but he had the angle and was much closer. He also made a huge call FOR Burg in the 4th when Robertson hit a 3 pointer but directly before the play he whistled an away from the ball foul on Burg. Points were waved off since it was after the whistle (only by a second). Waverly then missed the next shot and Wheelersburg went down to score. Doesn't mean he made it "for Burg," he made the call he seen. It just ended up wiping 3 points off the board. I thought he called a very fair game.

All in all, it was a well officiated game. I thought Mr. Merb missed a couple calls that benefited Wheelersburg, but I do not in any way shape or form think it impacted the game whatsoever. The 3rd referee I do not know his name but he did fine as well. No made, missed call, or 50/50 judgement call changed the outcome of this game.

End of the day, Burg was the better team last night. When they needed to make plays, they made them. Their offense was more structured and seemed to have a game plan that they executed more precisely than Waverly did. They defended Waverly very well and minus forcing some bad passes that resulted in turnovers they played a very, very solid game. I would even go as far as to say the better TEAM won last night. Waverly has the best player, Burg has the best TEAM and definitely seemed the most prepared last night.

Great game by both teams and good luck to both as they head into the tournament. Both will be very, very tough outs.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 am This was a fun game to watch, I'm glad I made the trek to Waverly. I tried my best to keep some pfloyd style napkin notes so I'll do my best to record them here.

First and foremost I can circle back to one moment where this game was decided --- and that's the 3rd quarter. Wheelersburg only had 20 points at the half as Waverly was playing pretty solid man-to-man defense. As soon as the 3rd quarter began Waverly switched to a 2-3 zone, initially starting as a 1-1-3..... Wheelersburg torched it. Wheelersburg kept getting open 3 after open 3 and if that wasn't there they attacked the rim without much contest. The strange part is Waverly stayed in the zone for the entire quarter. Waverly gave up 22 points in the 3rd quarter running their zone --- they only gave up 20 in the entire first half.

Waverly switched back to man to man for the 4th and held Wheelersburg to only 8 points that quarter... So in 3 quarters of man to man they gave up 28 points.. In one quarter of zone they gave up ----- 22 points :shock:

As for the officiating, I really hated to see some of the comments before the game because I feel like that's added pressure for referees to perform. I know yabbadabba doesn't think Schwartzel gives Burg a fair shake but it was evident last night that he does. There was only one call all game I thought he got wrong and that was at the end of the 3rd he gave possession to Waverly instead of Burg... WITH THAT SAID - I was up in the bleachers and the play was directly infront of him. I could say it looked clearly off of Waverly from where I was sitting, but he had the angle and was much closer. He also made a huge call FOR Burg in the 4th when Robertson hit a 3 pointer but directly before the play he whistled an away from the ball foul on Burg. Points were waved off since it was after the whistle (only by a second). Waverly then missed the next shot and Wheelersburg went down to score. Doesn't mean he made it "for Burg," he made the call he seen. It just ended up wiping 3 points off the board. I thought he called a very fair game.

All in all, it was a well officiated game. I thought Mr. Merb missed a couple calls that benefited Wheelersburg, but I do not in any way shape or form think it impacted the game whatsoever. The 3rd referee I do not know his name but he did fine as well. No made, missed call, or 50/50 judgement call changed the outcome of this game.

End of the day, Burg was the better team last night. When they needed to make plays, they made them. Their offense was more structured and seemed to have a game plan that they executed more precisely than Waverly did. They defended Waverly very well and minus forcing some bad passes that resulted in turnovers they played a very, very solid game. I would even go as far as to say the better TEAM won last night. Waverly has the best player, Burg has the best TEAM and definitely seemed the most prepared last night.

Great game by both teams and good luck to both as they head into the tournament. Both will be very, very tough outs.
Very good post. Last night was more than victory for our Pirates. It was a victory for two rival communities coming together for the benefit of another. Let’s keep those Adena boys and their family in our prayers. Hopefully our small contribution can help lessen a little of the burden.

Great game by both teams. Intense the entire way.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I was at the game, and it was the largest and loudest crowd I've experienced this season......and probably the best game I've seen as well. High school basketball at its finest. A lot of sectional, district, and even regional games aren't as exciting as that one last night.

Congratulations to Wheelersburg on the win and to Waverly for their spirited 4th quarter comeback. It was fitting that this game went into OT.

Return to “Boys Basketball”