Rick Edwards

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Your School’s All-Time Starting 5

Post by art_vandelay »

wobycat wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:32 am
art_vandelay wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 am
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Waginger would make mine. THE best high school defensive player I have seen.

I have a great Kayla Cook story
Yeah, Waginger is still the best on-ball defender I've ever seen in high school basketball. I remember him swiping OJ Mayo in the State Final when he was still at Ironton. Also remember his senior year at Webster single-handedly destroying other teams' point guard on a nightly basis. Believe he is the all-time steals leader for Western Carolina as well. As for Justin Lower, he could fill it up (still holds Webster single-game record of 55pts). Went on to play at Cedarville.

But I'd agree with Swanker's list for South Webster and I think that team would be highly competitive with any other all-time team from this area.*
I agree. Jonathan Eaton from burg was just like him. Those two were just alike. Eaton shut down Esteban weaver and “held down” yeagle the year they went to state finals.
Yep...I was at both of those games and watched Jonathon Eaton be the best player on the floor in both games. What a great athlete and natural leader... was like having a coach out on the floor. 25 years later, I don’t know if I can think of another player around here that I’d take over Eaton to start a team with. Waginger would probably be the closest.*

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Waginger is definitely an all time great. I’m pretty sure Ohsaa charged him with theft after all those steals in the state finals

Eagle4life
Waterboy

Post by Eagle4life »

Beaver Eastern:
Neil Leist
Arnold King
Darren King
Mark Cochenour
Matt Hines
Others to consider
Zac Alexander, Dustan Alley, Pat/ Rick Nance, Larry Caudill Sr, Mike Harris, Chad Lands

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Waginger was indeed a great defender, and I remember how he hounded OJ Mayo, but the best rim protector I've seen in the 50 years I've been watching SE district basketball is Malik London of Chillicothe. 6-8, athletic, with long arms and could come out of nowhere to disrupt or block a shot attempt. Has to be the all time shot block leader in our district.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

trojandave wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am Waginger was indeed a great defender, and I remember how he hounded OJ Mayo, but the best rim protector I've seen in the 50 years I've been watching SE district basketball is Malik London of Chillicothe. 6-8, athletic, with long arms and could come out of nowhere to disrupt or block a shot attempt. Has to be the all time shot block leader in our district.
I don’t know how many he actually blocked in the 2011 Sectional Finals against Unioto, but Unioto’s interior players were like 2-20 in the paint because of how distributive Malik was that night.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

danicalifornia: What he did to your Shermans is what he did to my Trojans. For the years we played against him, trying to score in the paint was a risky business with his presence.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Rza1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:49 pm Peake

Joe Thacker
Dempsey
Lovely
Mount
Rick Edwards
This is a great list. Hard to argue against any of these guys. I loved Mount, very athletic swing man (baseline), but he didn't have the tools Austin McMaster had. Hard to leave off Delimpo too. All good picks though

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

IMO, I'm sure this will make Trojandave happy, the Portsmouth all time 5 would beat any other top 5 out there

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Brigham Waginger might not have finished at IHS but should be included in their all time 5 for what he accomplished in his 3 years there.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am Waginger was indeed a great defender, and I remember how he hounded OJ Mayo, but the best rim protector I've seen in the 50 years I've been watching SE district basketball is Malik London of Chillicothe. 6-8, athletic, with long arms and could come out of nowhere to disrupt or block a shot attempt. Has to be the all time shot block leader in our district.
He was good but DJ Cunningham was the most dominant big guy from the area. DJ averaged 24 points, 17 rebounds, 7 blocks, and 5 assists per game at Waterford. Had a decent career at UNC Asheville but had knee problems

Chase Fieler of Fed Hock turned out to be the best big in a long time from SEO. Dunk City

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:24 pm
He was good but DJ Cunningham was the most dominant big guy from the area. DJ averaged 24 points, 17 rebounds, 7 blocks, and 5 assists per game at Waterford. Had a decent career at UNC Asheville but had knee problems

Chase Fieler of Fed Hock turned out to be the best big in a long time from SEO. Dunk City

Fieler went to Parkersburg South in high school

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

beg003 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm Fieler went to Parkersburg South in high school
He’s from Fed Hock. He transferred his junior year

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

North Adams
Rick Fulton
Kraig Unger
Troy Storer
Nathan Copas
Deron Breeze

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:31 pm
beg003 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 pm Fieler went to Parkersburg South in high school
He’s from Fed Hock. He transferred his junior year
👍🏼 can’t say I knew that

Flexworth
Freshman Team

Post by Flexworth »

LeftHanded wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm Vinton County

Tristan Bartoe
Ryan Caudill
Derick Jones
Naylan Yates
Dustin Guthrie

Only one is pre-Combs era! Haha
No Chris Bethel?? :lol:

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Waginger would make mine. THE best high school defensive player I have seen.

I have a great Kayla Cook story
Yeah, Waginger is still the best on-ball defender I've ever seen in high school basketball. I remember him swiping OJ Mayo in the State Final when he was still at Ironton. Also remember his senior year at Webster single-handedly destroying other teams' point guard on a nightly basis. Believe he is the all-time steals leader for Western Carolina as well. As for Justin Lower, he could fill it up (still holds Webster single-game record of 55pts). Went on to play at Cedarville.

But I'd agree with Swanker's list for South Webster and I think that team would be highly competitive with any other all-time team from this area.*
I agree. Jonathan Eaton from burg was just like him. Those two were just alike. Eaton shut down Esteban weaver and “held down” yeagle the year they went to state finals.
Matt Miller, burg. Played QB at Ohio university and was also asked by Larry Hunter to play on the basketball team while there.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

packers80 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Matt Miller, burg. Played QB at Ohio university and was also asked by Larry Hunter to play on the basketball team while there.
Was Miller the baseball SS too?

LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Post by LeftHanded »

Flexworth wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:20 pm
LeftHanded wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm Vinton County

Tristan Bartoe
Ryan Caudill
Derick Jones
Naylan Yates
Dustin Guthrie

Only one is pre-Combs era! Haha
No Chris Bethel?? :lol:
Plenty of guys worthy! Who are you putting down for your 5?

Return to “Boys Basketball”