Post by yabbadabbadoo »

HMMMMM!!!!

not one mention of Kevin Schwartzel!

Interesting!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Top Referees...

Post by smurray »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:03 am HMMMMM!!!!

Interesting!!!
I’m sure he’s your favorite. He did a great job Thursday night. Can’t say the same for one of his partners, lol.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

smurray wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:04 am

Interesting!!!
I’m sure he’s your favorite. He did a great job Thursday night. Can’t say the same for one of his partners, lol.

Just curious if you noticed, how many fouls did he call on Waverly? I know last year it was 12 on Burg to 0 on Waverly at Waverly last year.

I've always heard he had a beef with Barrick and he still carries it. Barrick's been gone for at least 5 years. He needs to let it go!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Interesting!!!
He was mentioned in the very first post.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:28 am
smurray wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:04 am

Interesting!!!

Just curious if you noticed, how many fouls did he call on Waverly? I know last year it was 12 on Burg to 0 on Waverly at Waverly last year.

I've always heard he had a beef with Barrick and he still carries it. Barrick's been gone for at least 5 years. He needs to let it go!!!
No, I didn't keep track but I do know he wasn't bad at all.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Interesting!!!
He was literally one of the first names mentioned on the first post.

The only reason I and many others didn’t mention him was because the thread was made to add MORE names of good officials.

I’ve watched hundreds upon hundreds of SEO games over the years and he’s hands down one of the best. Unfortunately you have that “I’m from burg so if we don’t win we were cheated” mentality and refuse to look at it from an unbiased viewpoint.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:03 am

Interesting!!!
He was literally one of the first names mentioned on the first post.

The only reason I and many others didn’t mention him was because the thread was made to add MORE names of good officials.

I’ve watched hundreds upon hundreds of SEO games over the years and he’s hands down one of the best. Unfortunately you have that “I’m from burg so if we don’t win we were cheated” mentality and refuse to look at it from an unbiased viewpoint.

No, I don't have that mentality that "we've been cheated" just know that he had a beef with Barrick and he will not let it go. Like I said, I ever run into him out somewhere I'll ask him what his beef is.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 pm Oak Hill @ Portsmouth West tonight. Even though it was a very Physical game and a low scoring game, it did get a little chippy a couple times. This crew Hiles or Giles, Nichols, and Throckmorton were in charge from the get go, and I think did one of the better jobs that I have seen all year long. Now I know how tough of a job it is, and just how tough it can be at times. I don't want to be to critical of the JV officials, as I realize that they don't normally have as much experience as the varsity officials. If they have the chance to take a refresher class, I would hope that they do so. Maybe they were just having a bad night, as it was pretty bad for both teams.
One of the JV officials that I was a little critical of last night at the PW-OH game, he was also part of the crew last night at the SW-OH JV game. I'm just going to ask one thing, how many times have you seen 3 Officials do a JV game ? Maybe on the job training, I'm sure he's doing the best he can do, funny thing is he was probably the better of the 2 at the PW-OH game.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:56 am
VetteMan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 pm Oak Hill @ Portsmouth West tonight. Even though it was a very Physical game and a low scoring game, it did get a little chippy a couple times. This crew Hiles or Giles, Nichols, and Throckmorton were in charge from the get go, and I think did one of the better jobs that I have seen all year long. Now I know how tough of a job it is, and just how tough it can be at times. I don't want to be to critical of the JV officials, as I realize that they don't normally have as much experience as the varsity officials. If they have the chance to take a refresher class, I would hope that they do so. Maybe they were just having a bad night, as it was pretty bad for both teams.
One of the JV officials that I was a little critical of last night at the PW-OH game, he was also part of the crew last night at the SW-OH JV game. I'm just going to ask one thing, how many times have you seen 3 Officials do a JV game ? Maybe on the job training, I'm sure he's doing the best he can do, funny thing is he was probably the better of the 2 at the PW-OH game.
Meigs uses 3 officials in both girls and boys JV games

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

itsme wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:36 am
Thank you, didn't realize that some teams or league's did that. I may be completely wrong about that anyway, just seemed to me that the games that I have watched this year, boys and girls just used 2 Officials for there JV games.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Thank you, didn't realize that some teams or league's did that. I may be completely wrong about that anyway, just seemed to me that the games that I have watched this year, boys and girls just used 2 Officials for there JV games.
The SOC and OVC use 2 man for JV. The TVC and FAC use 3 man. I believe the SVC does as well. If you see 3 man in SOC games, it is because the crew agreed to split the $90 3 ways.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:10 am

The SOC and OVC use 2 man for JV. The TVC and FAC use 3 man. I believe the SVC does as well. If you see 3 man in SOC games, it is because the crew agreed to split the $90 3 ways.
Thanks, I thought that maybe I was wrong anyway, as I probably have watched more of the SOC and the OVC than I have a couple of the other leagues.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

The JV game at Alexander against Meigs only had 2 officials. One might have been sick or a no show or Alex just uses 2 don't know

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

When Northwest jr high played North Adams this year and last year we had a three man crew. I think we will have a 3 man crew tonight in the county tournament championship. I like it alot better with 3.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:10 pm

When Northwest jr high played North Adams this year and last year we had a three man crew. I think we will have a 3 man crew tonight in the county tournament championship. I like it alot better with 3.
Correct. And yes, tonight will have a 3 man crew.

It is just a lot better to call the game with 3.

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

If you ever question how great Schwartzel is you just look him up and I’m sure he will set you straight. They guy thinks he is the greatest of all time and doesn’t have a problem telling you that.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 pm

I’m used to a 3 man crew and had them numerous times for freshman/JV....but one night there was just 2 of them for whatever reason and the one guy who I’ve watched officiate that level for years, he usually doesn’t call much at all and very consistent with that but with the two man crew he about wore his whistle out calling stuff he typically never called. Being 2 you’d think you’d see less of the infractions than a 3 man crew. Guess it could’ve just been a 1 time thing.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:15 pm

I’m used to a 3 man crew and had them numerous times for freshman/JV....but one night there was just 2 of them for whatever reason and the one guy who I’ve watched officiate that level for years, he usually doesn’t call much at all and very consistent with that but with the two man crew he about wore his whistle out calling stuff he typically never called. Being 2 you’d think you’d see less of the infractions than a 3 man crew. Guess it could’ve just been a 1 time thing.
A lot of times with 2 man, you tend to "reach" out of area and sometimes those things happen. Going back and forth between the two is not fun at all.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:52 pm

A lot of times with 2 man, you tend to "reach" out of area and sometimes those things happen. Going back and forth between the two is not fun at all.
How often do you call out of your area with a 3 man crew? If you see your partner maybe out of position or you know he missed seeing something? Rarely ever? Only if I know 100%? Is there a standard way this is handled that pretty much all refs do?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:00 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:52 pm

How often do you call out of your area with a 3 man crew? If you see your partner maybe out of position or you know he missed seeing something? Rarely ever? Only if I know 100%? Is there a standard way this is handled that pretty much all refs do?
The standard is a patient whistle and give your partner a chance to get something that "needs to be called". Some guys do not want you coming into their primary, but most want help if they don't catch something. Our main crew wants to get something called even if it isn't your primary, but each official has his own stance.

Return to “Boys Basketball”