GAMES NOT COUNTING FOR THE DRAW

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

GAMES NOT COUNTING FOR THE DRAW

Post by AnkleBraces »

WILL ANYTHING EVER BE DONE TO MAKE THE LAST WEEK OF GAMES COUNT FOR THE TOURNAMENT DRAW? JUST DOESNT SEEM LOGICAL TO ME TO SEED BEFORE ALL THE GAMES ARE PLAYED.

itsme
Varsity

Re: GAMES NOT COUNTING FOR THE DRAW

Post by itsme »

AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:38 am WILL ANYTHING EVER BE DONE TO MAKE THE LAST WEEK OF GAMES COUNT FOR THE TOURNAMENT DRAW? JUST DOESNT SEEM LOGICAL TO ME TO SEED BEFORE ALL THE GAMES ARE PLAYED.
So you want the last game played. Last game might be on Saturday. Draw on Sunday. And you might have to play on Monday. That makes sense

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

What I've seen happening in the past are teams that will not reschedule a postponed game until after the draw, with the intention of trying to get a better seed by avoiding a possible loss before the draw to the rescheduled opponent.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It's different with football, you have a week to prepare for your playoff opponent. All 10 games are played before you are "seeded" but you have time to prepare. It's not that way with basketball. Like was mentioned, your last game may be Saturday and your first tourney game is Monday.
They would have to end the regular season a week before the tournament starts - last game is Saturday, coaches would need time to seed them and then you need a couple days to prepare for your opponent.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Completely doable but coaches love the little shenanigans for the better seeds. Teams playing on that Monday are play in type games every time....the 1-2 days notice would be the same for both.

End games on Friday, submit before midnight of that Friday. Have results Saturday morning. If your team is 3-19, kinda expect to be playing a short turn around against another team of similar record. The sites could all be figured in advance and slot them into their places.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

Simple solution: Have basketball go to the same computer rankings format that football uses. You'll have a pretty good idea of who you could be playing starting in about mid january. And the seedings would be automatic as soon as the last games are over with.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

I think it would be reasonable to extend the deadline. Make all the Friday/Saturday games count. I’m not sure it would really change the seedlings that much though. It’s more about the match ups than the best teams being seeded correctly.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Seopnation wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:36 am Simple solution: Have basketball go to the same computer rankings format that football uses. You'll have a pretty good idea of who you could be playing starting in about mid january. And the seedings would be automatic as soon as the last games are over with.
I nominate you to update 200 games each night around the state, and also keeping track of every win of each out of state school that played in Ohio team.

Now, taking sarcasm out, this is potentially in the works, but is a long way from actually happening. However, depending upon the weather and various conditions in the winter sports, would be impossible to seed before all games are played, unless you just had drop dead dates with no make up games allowed.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

Pol pot wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:02 pm
Seopnation wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:36 am Simple solution: Have basketball go to the same computer rankings format that football uses. You'll have a pretty good idea of who you could be playing starting in about mid january. And the seedings would be automatic as soon as the last games are over with.
I nominate you to update 200 games each night around the state, and also keeping track of every win of each out of state school that played in Ohio team.

Now, taking sarcasm out, this is potentially in the works, but is a long way from actually happening. However, depending upon the weather and various conditions in the winter sports, would be impossible to seed before all games are played, unless you just had drop dead dates with no make up games allowed.

Maybe we should nominate the person that does it for football, seems to work ok there.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Matt already has every game. Idk how he does it

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

itsme wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 am
AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:38 am WILL ANYTHING EVER BE DONE TO MAKE THE LAST WEEK OF GAMES COUNT FOR THE TOURNAMENT DRAW? JUST DOESNT SEEM LOGICAL TO ME TO SEED BEFORE ALL THE GAMES ARE PLAYED.
So you want the last game played. Last game might be on Saturday. Draw on Sunday. And you might have to play on Monday. That makes sense
JUST AS MUCH AS PLAYING 3-4 GAMES THE LAST WEEK AND PREPPING FOR THEM WHEN THEY DONT MATTER AND YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON THE TOURNAMENT GAME MONDAY

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I think the draw after the regular season could work with a few tweaks

1. The tournament doesn’t start for a full week after the regular season finishes (which comes down to available locations)

2. Every coach being on a file sharing service (like hudl) where they share their last 3 films to make up for the lost time from being available to watch in person

3. Every score being uploaded onto a site like is done for football. It would be more difficult with the constant rescheduling, but could be done

We would likely lose out on centralized locations for the sectional level and possibly the Convo with how dates would have to work out. So, those are things that need to be looked at as well, imo.

The thing is, it doesn’t seem to bother any of the other regions around the state that all draw for the tournament at the same time, so I don’t know how much needs to change.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Seeding has been done before end of season Forever. I don’t see this changing and never heard a school complaint about the current process

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

E High wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:24 pm Seeding has been done before end of season Forever. I don’t see this changing and never heard a school complaint about the current process
Agree.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Seeding also happens before all games are played in baseball, softball, volleyball, and soccer. Trying to get the seasons over before the following sport season begins is the focus, but there just isn't enough time to give a week gap between regular season end and tournament starting dates.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

I don’t care one way or the other but the reasons just seem like complete copouts

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I don't really mind the draw being before the season ends, but I would LOVE for basketball to have rankings similar to how Joe Eitel does for football. That would make things a lot better for seeding purposes and would be able to add in strength of schedule for each team.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:08 am I don't really mind the draw being before the season ends, but I would LOVE for basketball to have rankings similar to how Joe Eitel does for football. That would make things a lot better for seeding purposes and would be able to add in strength of schedule for each team.
Agreed. I’d love to take the human element out of the voting process since it feels like we have the technology. Hopefully that comes along, especially in an area as spread out as ours.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I was just looking at spring sports on OHSAA and noticed that the softball draw is April 26. Wheelersburg has 9 games after that date. I would imagine that is the case for most teams. Talk about having an early tournament draw!

Return to “Boys Basketball”