(4) Unioto vs (5) Waverly Sat 2/22

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: (4) Unioto vs (5) Waverly Sat 2/22

Post by Ukfanatic »

Great game to watch! Two really good teams leaving it all on the court! It was a shame someone had to lose. Little did everything he could to keep Unioto in the game. Trey just had a little more help. Great defense by both teams, electric atmosphere, Trey and Issac going at it. District has opened up for Waverly! Winning it is very doable. Congrats to Unioto on a great season and we will see y’all Saturday at the convo. Go Tigers!

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Haven't been is a gym that jammed packed in a long time. Saw fans from numerous areas schools there. Truly a classic that will not soon be forgotten.

As for the game. It seemed like going down the stretch Waverly had just a little more grit and determination. They really got after it on the boards. Played really strong with some impressive rebounds. They was nothing tentative about their play in the fourth quarter. Fun evening!

Congrats to Unioto on a great season. Good Luck to Waverly next Saturday!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:01 am Haven't been is a gym that jammed packed in a long time. Saw fans from numerous areas schools there. Truly a classic that will not soon be forgotten.

As for the game. It seemed like going down the stretch Waverly had just a little more grit and determination. They really got after it on the boards. Played really strong with some impressive rebounds. They was nothing tentative about their play in the fourth quarter. Fun evening!

Those young men for Waverly are conditioned better than any I have ever seen. A 6 man rotation which isn’t really much of a rotation.
6 young men giving 120% for 32 minutes and still enough left in the tank to turn it up in the 4th and close it out in the waning moments. Just incredible. Not sure Robertson sat any and can’t remember if Futhey or Brown did. Smallwood in foul trouble in the first minute or two so he sat the rest of the first. This BIGS just stepped it up in the 2nd half and that was the difference.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

smurray wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 am
toast wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:01 am Haven't been is a gym that jammed packed in a long time. Saw fans from numerous areas schools there. Truly a classic that will not soon be forgotten.

Those young men for Waverly are conditioned better than any I have ever seen. A 6 man rotation which isn’t really much of a rotation.
6 young men giving 120% for 32 minutes and still enough left in the tank to turn it up in the 4th and close it out in the waning moments. Just incredible. Not sure Robertson sat any and can’t remember if Futhey or Brown did. Smallwood in foul trouble in the first minute or two so he sat the rest of the first. This BIGS just stepped it up in the 2nd half and that was the difference.
They really don't seem to get tired. If they do they don't show it. Lol We really played with confidence last night. Now they can rest and enjoy the win for a day or two and then get ready for Saturday. Should be another good game.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

smurray wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 am

It’s unreal...like energizer bunnies!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

With the way this season started (late start from football, injuries, kids out, quits, etc) it’s testament to the staff and players to be where they are at 19-5 and Sectional Champions.
And give some credit to the always supporting TIGER NATION! Wow, did they show up in a big way last night. Looking for a HUGE following Saturday at the CONVO.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:15 am With the way this season started (late start from football, injuries, kids out, quits, etc) it’s testament to the staff and players to be where they are at 19-5 and Sectional Champions.
And give some credit to the always supporting TIGER NATION! Wow, did they show up in a big way last night. Looking for a HUGE following Saturday at the CONVO.
Half your student section was svc kids cheering against Unioto. 🤦‍♂️

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Do you blame them?
Unioto in almost every sport sucks in transfers. All because of parents acting like babies at the school that they were at before.
Do you want me to list them?
How can you even give the coaches at Unioto much credit? They very seldom develop their own talent. Unioto is like a Catholic school or private school. They survive off of kids from other schools.
If they had Unioto kids playing, they would be bottom half of the league in most sports.
Last edited by petesweaty on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

petesweaty wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:30 am Do you blame them?
Unioto in almost every sport sucks in transfers. All because of parents acting like babies at the school that they were at before.
Do you want me to list them?
How can you even give the coaches at Unioto much credit? They very seldom develop their own talent. Like a Catholic school or private school.
If they had Unioto kids playing, they would be bottom half of the league.
I’m sorry somebody hurt you

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Nobody hurt me. Telling facts.

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

Great game to watch with an impressive environment, Take the transfer crap to a different thread. This was a great game between two evenly matched teams.

Nipgencounty
Freshman Team

Post by Nipgencounty »

bucknuts09 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:40 pm Great game to watch with an impressive environment, Take the transfer crap to a different thread. This was a great game between two evenly matched teams.
The "transfer crap" is a real thing. Really sad. Its the society we live in though. Little Johhny can't be the star at school A. So we'll go to schhol B. Sad.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Nipgencounty wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:54 pm
bucknuts09 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:40 pm Great game to watch with an impressive environment, Take the transfer crap to a different thread. This was a great game between two evenly matched teams.
The "transfer crap" is a real thing. Really sad. Its the society we live in though. Little Johhny can't be the star at school A. So we'll go to schhol B. Sad.
Obviously not always the case

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Is that why kids transfer? Jackson lost Kyle Ondera and Ryan Borden to Oak Hill. Both were going to be two of the best Jackson ever had. Borden was a 17 ppg sophomore in an insane SEOAL with Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Zanesville, Ironton....all of whom either recently won state or made final 4....add in Warren, Logan. Ondera was a freshman PG handling the pressure of those insanely fast teams....they left for Norm and Oak Hill. They won a state championship! Borden hit a 3 to send championship game to OT and another in OT to seal the state championship. Ondera was the MVP of the Final 4! You don’t think those two could’ve been the stars at Jackson? And you know how much it pissed me and so many others at Jackson off? So much that we went and cheered them and Oak Hill on from the districts through the state championship.

Few years later we have a set of twins who were Jackson kids and in a program of losing was in place, not for lack of trying but we weren’t there yet. Those twins left for Oak Hill to join up with others who also left to Oak Hill. They went for 2000 points combined at OH where Norm stalled his way through games at great success. Again, we traveled and watched their tournament runs. Both would’ve scored 1000 point scorers and Jackson would’ve been where we are about 2 years sooner.

And of course Mr. Swackhammer left for Unioto....he was the 7 man when they ripped 100 points on Jackson, he would’ve been the star of Jackson that year. He would’ve went for 1500 points at Jackson.

Those kids and families would’ve been huge at Jackson but they did what they thought was best, agree or not...they all left and we’re smaller pieces of the whole than they would’ve been. You could say greener pastures in each case if you want but none of those 5 stars left because they couldn’t be the stars.

We live in a day and age where fans spend more energy rooting against other teams and players than they do rooting for their own team.

Nipgencounty
Freshman Team

Post by Nipgencounty »

Call me old fashioned, but i think you should grow where you were planted. I recognize that most dont think like that. And thats perfectly fine.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:18 pm
Is that why kids transfer? Jackson lost Kyle Ondera and Ryan Borden to Oak Hill. Both were going to be two of the best Jackson ever had. Borden was a 17 ppg sophomore in an insane SEOAL with Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Zanesville, Ironton....all of whom either recently won state or made final 4....add in Warren, Logan. Ondera was a freshman PG handling the pressure of those insanely fast teams....they left for Norm and Oak Hill. They won a state championship! Borden hit a 3 to send championship game to OT and another in OT to seal the state championship. Ondera was the MVP of the Final 4! You don’t think those two could’ve been the stars at Jackson? And you know how much it pissed me and so many others at Jackson off? So much that we went and cheered them and Oak Hill on from the districts through the state championship.

Few years later we have a set of twins who were Jackson kids and in a program of losing was in place, not for lack of trying but we weren’t there yet. Those twins left for Oak Hill to join up with others who also left to Oak Hill. They went for 2000 points combined at OH where Norm stalled his way through games at great success. Again, we traveled and watched their tournament runs. Both would’ve scored 1000 point scorers and Jackson would’ve been where we are about 2 years sooner.

And of course Mr. Swackhammer left for Unioto....he was the 7 man when they ripped 100 points on Jackson, he would’ve been the star of Jackson that year. He would’ve went for 1500 points at Jackson.

Those kids and families would’ve been huge at Jackson but they did what they thought was best, agree or not...they all left and we’re smaller pieces of the whole than they would’ve been. You could say greener pastures in each case if you want but none of those 5 stars left because they couldn’t be the stars.

We live in a day and age where fans spend more energy rooting against other teams and players than they do rooting for their own team.
Yes sir

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:18 pm We live in a day and age where fans spend more energy rooting against other teams and players than they do rooting for their own team.
This right here, I was really bad at this when I was in high school. But as I’ve made connections in some of these communities I realize that they all have some great people who are just as passionate about their school as I am mine. We all just want to see our kids and communities have success. Yeah I still have preferences when two area teams play, but once it hits regional play you’ll never catch me cheering against them. All of us around here are more similar than people realize, and I wish more people cheered with that mentality.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Nipgencounty wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:46 pm Call me old fashioned, but i think you should grow where you were planted. I recognize that most dont think like that. And thats perfectly fine.
My kid isn’t leaving Jackson whether we are 22-0 and he’s the 14 man or 0-22 and THE man

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Nipgencounty wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:46 pm Call me old fashioned, but i think you should grow where you were planted. I recognize that most dont think like that. And thats perfectly fine.
Old fashioned

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Let’s don’t ruin this thread with “transfer” debate. Keep it about the game last night - two teams (15-18 year olds) playing their hearts out.

Return to “Boys Basketball”