Varsity

Re: (D3) #3 Eastern Brown vs. #14 Portsmouth - Sectional Final

Post by Ed Ott »

Portsmouth by 5

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Depends what Portsmouth team shows up. Like I read in another post Portsmouth can win by 5 or lose by 30. They didn’t play to good last game maybe this will be the team that took Fairland to overtime.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth can win this game, but they absolutely have to play better than they did vs. Western Pike. Hopefully the Trojans' quickness on defense can cause some problems for the Warriors. As beergogglebluez said, if the Trojan team that lost at Fairland in OT (75-73), or the team that lost at Ironton (62-61) shows up, I like our chances much more. Unusual to say that two of Portsmouth's best games were losses, but they were to good teams on the road. I look for a typical Eastern Brown team, disciplined, fundamental, well coached, and a team that won't beat themselves.

GO TROJANS!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Eastern Brown 66-56

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Eastern Brown is 2-0 vs. the Trojans in the tournament. After a 64-56 loss to Portsmouth in the 2015-2016 Beast of the Southeast, the Warriors got payback with a 72-58 win in the sectional championship. It was the Trojans' all time leading scorer Kyre Allison's last game. He ended his great career with a 31 point effort. Going further back, EB defeated PHS 66-48 in the 2002 D3 district championship. The Warriors went on to beat Wheelersburg in the regional semifinal and ended up in the Final 4, losing in the state semifinals.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

If competitive PHS shows up, EB wins by about 5 points.
If the other PHS shows up, EB wins easily.

EB will stick them on defense.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

EB is #3 because they are a really good team , Portsmouth has struggled off and on all year , this would be a big upset if Portsmouth pulls it off but I honesty know if Portsmouth plays the way they are capable they can win this game , limited mistakes limited turnovers is a must!! For this to happen.

Go Trojans!!!

WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

Eastern Brown is a disciplined, selfless, well-coached machine. I have not seen PHS play this year, but be it Portsmouth,Fairland, ZT, Versailles or any school, this team can shoot,run,play defense, jump, rebound and shoot free throws well, and ANY team will have to play a multi-faceted, well executed game to beat the Warriors. They are very young, but this will be an awesome game! Cant wait to see this on Saturday!

Str8Baller32
Waterboy

Post by Str8Baller32 »

Pulling for the Trojans, but it’ll be a tough one.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Portsmouth will most certainly have to play mistake free and play well to beat Eastern Brown, 99% of the time EB will not beat themselves.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

WonderNova: You said Eastern Brown is young, but I doubt that they are younger than the Trojans. Portsmouth has started 3 sophomores and played 5 sophomores all season. There aren't too many, if any other teams in the SE district that start as many sophomores as the Trojans. Despite their youth, though, they have played all 22 games, so in essence they are experienced sophomores. I'll go as far to say that Portsmouth will be one of the quicker teams that the Warriors have faced. Can the Trojans use disciplined quickness, and not commit fouls in unnecessary situations?

I hope that Trojan fans turn out in better numbers on Saturday. Very disappointed in the support at the Western Pike game. I know that the team has had a very up and down season, but this is for the sectional championship, which Portsmouth hasn't won since 2017.

WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

That's alot of sophomores! Eastern goes 2 sophs. 2 juniors and one senior. They have 2 nice senior bench players and another junior bench player.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I’ll take the Trojans by 5.

Juicer
Waterboy

Post by Juicer »

Eastern by 10

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Game day!

Hope for a good game and hopefully the Trojans can put a great game on the floor tonight.

Safe travels for fans and players

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

The Trojans showed up for the first half and then they fell apart they would have won this game if they could have put together a complete game but congrats to EB

Burg grad 85
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Trojans played well first half. Eastern must of smothered them on defense the second half. Trojans scores 6 points the 2nd half.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

A true tale of two halves. A couple defensive adjustments rattled PHS. Eastern just came out looking very Zen-like and just played lock down defense by denying any cuts or passes in the paint. Eastern eliminated the unforced turnovers and made free throws. I am impressed by the young PHS team..there is lots of talent. I wish the PHS crowd would cut the coach a break. They seemed really snarky toward their own guy, and it wasn't uplifting or supportive. PHS was a classy opponent. Now on to the convo!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Congrats to Eastern Brown. Portsmouth has seemed to have fallen off talent wise big time. 0 points in 3 rd and only 6 points entire 2nd half. When you say Portsmouth Trojans you think of a powerful , talent laden team, that was unbeatable and Athens was there second home for years. But good luck to the Brown County team , Ironton, will be a tough task. just like Trimble led by Howie, you can count on a battle for 4 quarters.

Return to “Boys Basketball”