(5) Waverly vs. (8) Warren Sat. 2/29

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

(5) Waverly vs. (8) Warren Sat. 2/29

Post by bucknuts09 »

Who you got and why! I believe these two met first game of the year and the tigers won a very tight one.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Re: (5) Waverly vs. (8) Warren Sat. 2/29

Post by MasterOfNone »

I’m sure these are two different teams than the first time they met.

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:15 pm I’m sure these are two different teams than the first time they met.
That being said who wins this time ??????

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I really don’t know.

I FEEL Warren doesn’t have enough scoring to counter what Robertson/Futhey/Smallwood/Brown will do.

Can Warren score enough and can they keep the rebounding close? Those are the two things that I’m not sure of.

What I am sure of....Maddox will have them prepared 100%

I feel Trey might put on a special show at the Convo. I’d be on him inside of 30 (well I wouldn’t be lol)

Coach Robertson will have to be on his game as well to adjust for the things Maddox will throw at them.

Waverly winning by 10+ won’t surprise me
Warren winning a tight one won’t surprise me
Waverly winning a tight one won’t surprise me
Warren winning by 10+ will surprise me

Waverly 58
Warren 50

Good luck to both

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

No clue who wins this one.

Warren will wear white though. :-).

This district reminds me of the stock market. If you say you know what’s going to happen then you’re lying.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

No idea what Warren has done this year without investigating their season. No idea if they had early season injuries etc that are now good.

The first game between these two (first game of the season) had Futhey, Brown and Diener with just three practices under their belts coming in from football which went two weeks into the playoffs. Stulley was injured in the foundation scrimmage and out, unavailable.
Waverly overcame early season injuries, Futhey & Brown out for football visits for the Miami Trace game, two that quit early on (one a starter) and still produced a 19-5 record to this point.
I just say all that to say Waverly is much different than they were game 1. I imagine Warren is as well.

This should be a fun one...

Waverly will be in BLACK

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Now you’re on board.

I like it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

smurray wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:04 pm No idea what Warren has done this year without investigating their season. No idea if they had early season injuries etc that are now good.

The first game between these two (first game of the season) had Futhey, Brown and Diener with just three practices under their belts coming in from football which went two weeks into the playoffs. Stulley was injured in the foundation scrimmage and out, unavailable.
Waverly overcame early season injuries, Futhey & Brown out for football visits for the Miami Trace game, two that quit early on (one a starter) and still produced a 19-5 record to this point.
I just say all that to say Waverly is much different than they were game 1. I imagine Warren is as well.

This should be a fun one...

Waverly will be in BLACK
Warren never got their best player back and just knocked off a team that had been to regionals 3 of the last 4 years (I think). I think Waverly has the better basketball players (see what I did there ha) and Warren IMO has the best coach in the SE District....but Warren also has a great team and Waverly has a good coach as well.

Waverly and Logan Elm will be a fun district final.....so can’t wait to watch Athens vs Warren

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I agree that Waverly v Logan Elm is the best district Final.

But I thought the Fairfield Union v Jackson District Final was a lock after New Lex shocked the world.

It was awesome to find the Marietta radio feed and listen to the last minute of OT of Warren vs Fairfield Union with PFloyd from Southeastern’s Gym and then be able to relay that info to the Waverly coaching staff.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

This should be a really fun one in the Convo. Seen these two battle it out in the Piketon Classic in what was an outstanding game. Both teams however are probably a lot better than the first time they met. Waverly beat a tough Unioto team while Warren defeated a good Fairfield Union team to win their respective sectionals. I think Waverly wins this in a very close game. Good luck to both teams.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I've only seen Warren one time this year and that was early in the season at Rio Grande College against Huntington W.Va. Huntington had the Archer kid that had transferred from Chesapeake, and beat the Warren team but it was a pretty competitive ballgame. After watching Warren over the years, regardless of how much talent they have on the team, you always know that Coach Maddox will have his teams prepared for most opponents that they will be facing. Trey Robertson no doubt is the straw that stirs the drink for the Waverly Tigers, most of the time its with his ability to score the ball. Don't sleep on the rest of his game though, as he's just as effective driving to the basket and dishing off for an easy basket. I agree with the earlier post that Waverly's Big's will be a large factor in how the game turns out. Both excellent Coaches, both will have there teams very prepared. I think the team that plays the most mistake free game, will probably come out with the win.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

This tournament is now wide open for Waverly. The two teams they couldn’t beat are gone. Waverly big in beating Unioto. Warren has had their upset. The best will move on and upsets are over. Waverly 70-57. Robertson puts on a show again

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Warren by 5

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:41 pm This tournament is now wide open for Waverly. The two teams they couldn’t beat are gone. Waverly big in beating Unioto. Warren has had their upset. The best will move on and upsets are over. Waverly 70-57. Robertson puts on a show again
Who couldn’t they beat?

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Wow trying to remember the first game of the year. Maybe pfloyd could post his napkin stats from the first game again. If I remember right Trey had 16 or 17 in the first half and Maddox adjusted at half time. They came out plYing a 1-3-1 or 3-2 and trapped Trey every time he caught it. Didn’t have many in the second half but Waverly had enough to win it. Interested to see what adjustments Travis will make after watching the first game again. Maybe take Trey off the ball and let him catch it lower rather than brining it up the floor and getting trapped and having to give it up.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:51 pm
Ed Ott wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:41 pm This tournament is now wide open for Waverly. The two teams they couldn’t beat are gone. Waverly big in beating Unioto. Warren has had their upset. The best will move on and upsets are over. Waverly 70-57. Robertson puts on a show again
Who couldn’t they beat?
Jackson and FU maybe?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

UKfanatic asked about the napkin stats for the first meeting back at the end of November ... Trey Robertson had 16 of his 20 points in the first 2 quarters for Waverly ... Brandon Simoniette actually outscored TR for the game as the Warren senior guard put up 21 points with 19 of those coming in the 2nd half including 3 triples ... the quarter breakdown looked like this:

Warren .... 15 .... 25 .... 41 .... 60
Waverly ... 13 .... 29 .... 41 .... 63

Waverly 63
Warren 60 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Brandon Simoniette 21,Joel Chavalier 13,Kurt Taylor 9,Jake Baumgard 6, Evan Byrd 5, Isaac Colgrove 4, Dylan Place 2, Brayden Sallee 2
3 Pointers ... 8/22 ... Brandon Simoniette 3, Kurt Taylor 3, Joel Chavalier 1, Evan Byrd 1
FTs ... 4/11
TOs ... 14
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/2 points in transition
PBck ... 4 fgs/8 points on putbacks

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Waverly

Scoring ... Trey Robertson 20, Tannor Smallwood 15, Will Futhey 8, Michael Goodman 7, Gabe Wheeler 7, Zeke Brown 4
3 Pointers ... 3/12 ... Gabe Wheeler 1, Trey Robertson 1, Michael Goodman 1
FTs ........... 20/34
TOs ........... 13
PnP ........... 16 fgs/32 points in the paint
PnT .......... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
PBck ........ 2 fgs/4 points on putbacks

... as has been noted both teams are different ball clubs at this point in the season ... Warren had just lost Seth Dennis their starting PG for the season a week prior to the season starting ... Josh Welch was out due to a football injury, Brandon Sallee was not an integral part of the mix yet ... Waverly had the walking wounded Mark Stulley on crutches ... looking at the napkin stats sheet everyone else played in that first game for Waverly ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

34 free throws to 12 Geesh

That gap will close

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:06 pm 34 free throws to 12 Geesh

That gap will close
... being at the first game , it felt like IF there was one more minute on the clock Warren would have taken this one - the flow of the game was in the BBB favor ... Coach Maddox actually did a brilliant thing - Warren had no time outs left, he called a timeout to stop the clock trailing 62-60 ... technical foul - the Tigers went 1 for 2 - Warren 3 ... Warriors stole the in bounds and threw up a shot to tie LOL ... Warren has now figured out how to play without Seth Dennis, everyone is varsity experienced - the same for Waverly ... Waverly STILL is the much quicker TEAM, and a stronger team than the Warriors ... how that plays out ? Saturday the 29th will tell all ... going to be fun to watch and compare the first outing vs this post season game ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 pm UKfanatic asked about the napkin stats for the first meeting back at the end of November ... Trey Robertson had 16 of his 20 points in the first 2 quarters for Waverly ... Brandon Simoniette actually outscored TR for the game as the Warren senior guard put up 21 points with 19 of those coming in the 2nd half including 3 triples ... the quarter breakdown looked like this:

Warren .... 15 .... 25 .... 41 .... 60
Waverly ... 13 .... 29 .... 41 .... 63

Waverly 63
Warren 60 a final

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Brandon Simoniette 21,Joel Chavalier 13,Kurt Taylor 9,Jake Baumgard 6, Evan Byrd 5, Isaac Colgrove 4, Dylan Place 2, Brayden Sallee 2
3 Pointers ... 8/22 ... Brandon Simoniette 3, Kurt Taylor 3, Joel Chavalier 1, Evan Byrd 1
FTs ... 4/11
TOs ... 14
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/2 points in transition
PBck ... 4 fgs/8 points on putbacks

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Waverly

Scoring ... Trey Robertson 20, Tannor Smallwood 15, Will Futhey 8, Michael Goodman 7, Gabe Wheeler 7, Zeke Brown 4
3 Pointers ... 3/12 ... Gabe Wheeler 1, Trey Robertson 1, Michael Goodman 1
FTs ........... 20/34
TOs ........... 13
PnP ........... 16 fgs/32 points in the paint
PnT .......... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
PBck ........ 2 fgs/4 points on putbacks

... as has been noted both teams are different ball clubs at this point in the season ... Warren had just lost Seth Dennis their starting PG for the season a week prior to the season starting ... Josh Welch was out due to a football injury, Brandon Sallee was not an integral part of the mix yet ... Waverly had the walking wounded Mark Stulley on crutches ... looking at the napkin stats sheet everyone else played in that first game for Waverly ...
close enough

Pfloyd, even though I saw Warren play early in the season, and am aware of the Dennis situation, Is Simoniette a recent transfer to Warren, or have I just not been paying close enough attention.

Return to “Boys Basketball”