Waverly 38 Unioto 34 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Waverly 38 Unioto 34 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Waverly 38
Unioto 34 a final

... game #2 at SEHS lived up to it's billing on all levels - the U came into the contest being one of if not THE best defensive teams in SEOhio, Waverly with size down low and 3 of the quickest guards in SEO in the likes of Trey Robertson/Mark Stulley & Michael Goodman looked to be able match the defense of the U ... bring in the spotlight matchup of the game - Waverly's Trey Robertson vs Unioto's Isaac Little ... the questions I had coming in were 1) who would win the "spotlight" battle ? ... going into this , me sitting in the cheap seats, I felt the game would come down to 2) WHO would step up from the group of players on either team "not named Robertson or Little ?" as I felt THAT would determine the winner in this one ...

... the game DID turn out to be a defensive game ... BOTH teams were outstanding on the defensive end - neither team got close to the magic "first team to 50 wins" with both teams under 40 - outstanding D on both sides ... looking closely at the napkin stats they all point to a great defensive effort by BOTH teams... as BOTH took away what the opponents wanted to do :

* only 1 player for each team scored in double digits
* Waverly with only 1 transition bucket - the U was able to take that advantage that is normally afforded a team with the speed/quickness of Waverly
* the size of the Tigers inside held Unioto to only 1 putback bucket on the offensive boards
* Both teams negated each other's scoring in the paint Unioto 20 points in the paint/Waverly 22 points in the paint...

... with so many areas of EACH OTHERS game being matched or taken away by BOTH teams it came down to the little (no pun intended) things or who was going to be step up for either team ... I give this one to Smallwood/Futhey/Brown combining for 20 points while holding the Unioto size to 13 points down low ...

the battle between the marquee players was just that - a battle :

Little ......... 7 ... 5 ... 0 ...5 ... 17 pts
Robertson.... 5 ... 5 ... 0 ...8 ... 18 pts

Little......... 3 triples
Robertson ... 3 triples

Little ......... 0/0 FTs
Roberston .... 3/6 FTs (all in the 4th period)

Unioto .... 8 .... 20 .... 25 .... 34
Waverly .. 9 .... 18 .... 24 .... 38

... with Little & Robertson negating each other scoring wise ... I looked at the supporting cast - Waverly imo had the edge - the 3 bigs of Smallwood/Futhey/Brown with neither Little nor Robertson scoring in the 3rd period - points needed to come from somewhere - the Tigers got 3 buckets - 1 from each of their bigs ( total of 6 points in the 3rd) while the U's defense would gladly take shutting out Robertson and giving up 6 points to WHS in that 3rd offensively, the U looked to struggle finding offense outside of Little ... yes, Reece Wheeler took one to the rim for an "and one" by the lefthander and Josh Lambert drove into the paint for a deuce - it just looked like offensively the U did not have an option offensively other than Little who the Waverly D shutout in that 3rd period ... Unioto 25 Waverly 24 after three ... the 4th was a struggle for the U - the Waverly perimeter D forced Little to work hard just to get the ball up court, only Little's hardnosed play got him to the rack for 2 and a 3 ball (5 points in the quarter) ... Little's efforts were matched by Robertson who - you guessed it - dropped a 3 ball and added a 2 ... as the clock wound down the Waverly quickness on the perimeter and the athletic size in the paint ( Will Futhey 4 points in the 4th) put the Tigers on the line - not pretty ! as the Tigers went 5/11 down the stretch) BUT with Little seemingly the only scoring option for the U (Nate Keiser/Josh Lambert 2 each in the 4th) the FT's and the offensive putback by Futhey were enough to keep the Shermans at arms length ... Waverly 38 Unioto 34 a final

... Pfloyd's official "UN-offiical" Napkin Stats - Unioto

Scoring ... Isaac Little 17, Reece Wheeler 5, Josh Lambert 5, Nate Keiser 4, Cameron Debord 3
3 Pointers ... 4/11 ... Isaac Little 3, Cameron Debord 1
FTs ......... 2/3
TOs ..... 8
PnP .... 10 fgs/ 20 points in the paint
PnT .... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbck .... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... 20-4 season - outstanding for Coach Hoops' Shermans ... a team picked to finish in the middle of the pack in the SVC ... defensively the best of SEO ... Great defensive effort vs a very good Waverly offense ... offensively needing that 2nd/3rd scorer to step up last night - didn't happen as Waverly's size/athleticism down low negated any quickness advantage for the U in the paint ...

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Waverly

Scoring ... Trey Robertson 18, Will Futhey 8, Tannor Smallwood 6, Zeke Brown 6
3 Pointers ... 3/10 ... Trey Robertson 3
FTs ....... 5/12
TOs .... 11 ( 8 in the first half only 3 in the 2nd half)
PnP .... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbck ... 3 fgs/ 6 points on putback buckets

... Waverly forced 7 Unioto turnovers in the first 2 quarters which helped to negate turning the ball over 8 times themselves in the first 2 periods ... after intermission the Tigers took care of the rock - only 3 TOs which in a close , defensive game IS important - you have to have shots on goal ... the Tiger quickness on the perimeter with Robertson/Stulley is a major advantage when the clock is winding down, WHS spreading the floor - the speed on the perimeter makes it even difficult to foul down the stretch ! too darn quick ... the Tigers take down the #4 seeded Shermans to get to the Convo - congratulations to Coach Robertson & the Tigers ! look forward to seeing the rematch of Waverly vs Warren - as the two faced each other back in November at the Piketon Classic to open the season with the Tigers coming out on top 63-61 ... interesting sidenote to that one : BOTH coaches were sidelined/seated for the entire game due to both teams dunking in warmups - it will be good to see BOTH coaches be able to move freely courtside in this one !!! in the 1st game between these 2 teams Trey Robertson had 20 points (18 in the first 2 quarters) vs Warren's Brandon Simoniette's 21 points (19 points in the last 2 quarters) ... has the red flags going up! this will be a good one next Saturday at the Convo !!!
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly 38 Unioto 34 a final

Post by bucknuts09 »

I am not sure you can find a better break down of a ball game !

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

This one was tight all the way around. Great breakdown

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I enjoyed taking this one in with you my friend.

The only person who knew she was sitting by royalty was the mother of a Unioto girl’s basketball player. She asks PFloyd if he would do that for girls as well and he very nicely says “No, I need to have a life!!”

This was like a heavyweight fight. I’m not sure it could have withstanded OT.

Great game. Great atmosphere.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

Great rundown Pfloyd. Happy I was able to take this game in last night. Great atmosphere and a great basketball game to watch.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:32 pm Great rundown Pfloyd. Happy I was able to take this game in last night. Great atmosphere and a great basketball game to watch.
If you make it to the Convo then stop by and say hello.

PFloyd is the really good looking one. Can’t miss him.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:32 pm Great rundown Pfloyd. Happy I was able to take this game in last night. Great atmosphere and a great basketball game to watch.
... thanks Smokyhollowbandit ... it WAS a GREAT atmosphere to be a part of - Hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - there is nothing better ... it's a double edge sword for me though - the longer I do what I do the more players, the more players family members, the more coaches I meet and get to know ! as it turns out the players and coaches are on opposing teams on opposite sides of the court - throughout the regular season I keep in touch with the coaches - a text here and there, I run into them while they are scouting, at there own games I always try to at least shake their hand , wish them well etc. ... the one and done season is so "final" for teams/ players/ coaches ... AND as strange as it may sound to some folks on this site (based on their posts) EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE COACHES & THEIR STAFFS ARE GOOD PEOPLE - who knew ?!!! ... they ALL have families, they ALL care for their players, they ALL do what they feel is best for their teams/players/schools ...

... as LucasDavenport posted make sure you stop up in the cheap seats and introduce yourself ! I'm easy find, more than willing to talk some hoops or just to say hello, I won't talk your ear off either ! that's LucasDavenport's specialty ! I'm good for talking the time BETWEEN games, AT half time - once the games start I'm all business with my nose to the grind trying to keep up with the game & my stat sheets LOL ...

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:59 pm [quote=Smokyhollowbandit post_id=<a href="tel:1855741">1855741</a> time=<a href="tel:1582489953">1582489953</a> user_id=13556]
Great rundown Pfloyd. Happy I was able to take this game in last night. Great atmosphere and a great basketball game to watch.
... thanks Smokyhollowbandit ... it WAS a GREAT atmosphere to be a part of - Hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - there is nothing better ... it's a double edge sword for me though - the longer I do what I do the more players, the more players family members, the more coaches I meet and get to know ! as it turns out the players and coaches are on opposing teams on opposite sides of the court - throughout the regular season I keep in touch with the coaches - a text here and there, I run into them while they are scouting, at there own games I always try to at least shake their hand , wish them well etc. ... the one and done season is so "final" for teams/ players/ coaches ... AND as strange as it may sound to some folks on this site (based on their posts) EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE COACHES & THEIR STAFFS ARE GOOD PEOPLE - who knew ?!!! ... they ALL have families, they ALL care for their players, they ALL do what they feel is best for their teams/players/schools ...

... as LucasDavenport posted make sure you stop up in the cheap seats and introduce yourself ! I'm easy find, more than willing to talk some hoops or just to say hello, I won't talk your ear off either ! that's LucasDavenport's specialty ! I'm good for talking the time BETWEEN games, AT half time - once the games start I'm all business with my nose to the grind trying to keep up with the game & my stat sheets LOL ...
[/quote]

I simply try and take the heat my friend.

And.... once the game starts I’m all in as well. But stories will be shared.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:04 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:59 pm [quote=Smokyhollowbandit post_id=<a href="tel:1855741">1855741</a> time=<a href="tel:1582489953">1582489953</a> user_id=13556]

I simply try and take the heat my friend.

And.... once the game starts I’m all in as well. But stories will be shared.
[/quote]

Would love to stop by and introduce myself, planning to be there All day Sunday and might even stop Saturday evening. I appreciate you guys and you guys do a fabulous job covering all our local athletes.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Great recap as always Pfloyd. Sounds as if you saw a very good ballgame.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 pm Great recap as always Pfloyd. Sounds as if you saw a very good ballgame.
... definitely a good game VetteMan - lots of moments when I turned to LucasDavenport and said "THIS is a BIG possession" LOL ... in a game like this one they were ALL big possessions as it turned out - shots on goal were at a premium ... before the game started LD and I were talking - he pointed out that the best defender on the court was the "rim on the visitors end of the court" which WAS in fact true! we pointed out at least a handful of times when the ball clanged off that rim , one was even all the way down and out , throughout the game ...

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 pm Great recap as always Pfloyd. Sounds as if you saw a very good ballgame.
... definitely a good game VetteMan - lots of moments when I turned to LucasDavenport and said "THIS is a BIG possession" LOL ... in a game like this one they were ALL big possessions as it turned out - shots on goal were at a premium ... before the game started LD and I were talking - he pointed out that the best defender on the court was the "rim on the visitors end of the court" which WAS in fact true! we pointed out at least a handful of times when the ball clanged off that rim , one was even all the way down and out , throughout the game ...
Horrible gym to shoot in

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mlittle wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:45 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 pm
Horrible gym to shoot in
I've always felt that way about that gym - and that was only from observing teams shooting in the SEHS gym ... others have no complaints about it ... it was just posted on another thread that this is the last year that SEHS will host the Sectionals ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”