Coaching Vacancies 2020-2021

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Coaching Vacancies 2020-2021

Post by Ironman92 »

E High wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:48 am
Ironman92 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:56 am Rob Ervin is absolutely one of the best people I know. 100% class act and tremendous role model. I have no idea if he’s the best that applied for the job or not but I have no doubt he’ll give 100% and represent Wellston with class and dignity. If hired it would be ridiculous to not support him if in the Wellston basketball program.
And then they boy graduates and Dad leaves for family reasons. It’s a bad trend in HS sports today. If you want the little league mentality, then let a couple parents coach one game , then 2 more the next game and so on , until the seasons over. Wow
The other trend is for the top player to transfer to greener pastures.....I’d say that trend is happening way more.

bballfever
Waterboy

Post by bballfever »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:26 am
bballfever wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am
Ironman92 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:56 am Rob Ervin is absolutely one of the best people I know. 100% class act and tremendous role model. I have no idea if he’s the best that applied for the job or not but I have no doubt he’ll give 100% and represent Wellston with class and dignity. If hired it would be ridiculous to not support him if in the Wellston basketball program.
He is a nice guy for sure not saying anything bad about him. But he is not the best guy to apply for the position. Many players and parents support someone they to feel is a tremendous role model and have won recently with while he was the coach of their kids. Seems like it’s typical small town stuff, politics and not what’s best for the players or program.
I’m not great savvy on the coaching within the Wellston program. Winning in 7th through JV (if that’s the case and I’m not sure it is) with a coach doesn’t mean he’s the right guy for the varsity job. I’m actually now wondering what group and coaches have won a good deal in the program? I’m familiar with the kids that finished their sophomore season....were the JV/Freshman teams 15-7 and 12-5 type teams? The Wellston 8th grade is good, not sure of 7th. I guess I’m asking what coach and group you are speaking of?
Guess I would be thinking of the seniors to be, the ones who graduated this year, the juniors and current sophomores. The teams coached by Mr. Fouty with those kids all won double digit games on his teams only to have lower single digit wins when not on his team. The current sophomores I believe won in their career for wellston maybe 2-3 games but won double digit games this year on jv with Fouty. Being a teacher, his level of success and player support, one would think he deserves a shot to lead the program. I know many players and parents feel that way.

Scenic Highway
Waterboy

Post by Scenic Highway »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:00 am
And then they boy graduates and Dad leaves for family reasons. It’s a bad trend in HS sports today. If you want the little league mentality, then let a couple parents coach one game , then 2 more the next game and so on , until the seasons over. Wow
The other trend is for the top player to transfer to greener pastures.....I’d say that trend is happening way more.

Yes it will unfortunately. This happens at every program in SEOhio at some time or another. Look back at the only state championship won in Boys Basektball in Jackson County. 2 of the main players were from Jackson.

Scenic Highway
Waterboy

Post by Scenic Highway »

bballfever wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:18 am

He is a nice guy for sure not saying anything bad about him. But he is not the best guy to apply for the position. Many players and parents support someone they to feel is a tremendous role model and have won recently with while he was the coach of their kids. Seems like it’s typical small town stuff, politics and not what’s best for the players or program.
I’m not great savvy on the coaching within the Wellston program. Winning in 7th through JV (if that’s the case and I’m not sure it is) with a coach doesn’t mean he’s the right guy for the varsity job. I’m actually now wondering what group and coaches have won a good deal in the program? I’m familiar with the kids that finished their sophomore season....were the JV/Freshman teams 15-7 and 12-5 type teams? The Wellston 8th grade is good, not sure of 7th. I guess I’m asking what coach and group you are speaking of?
Guess I would be thinking of the seniors to be, the ones who graduated this year, the juniors and current sophomores. The teams coached by Mr. Fouty with those kids all won double digit games on his teams only to have lower single digit wins when not on his team. The current sophomores I believe won in their career for wellston maybe 2-3 games but won double digit games this year on jv with Fouty. Being a teacher, his level of success and player support, one would think he deserves a shot to lead the program. I know many players and parents feel that way.
Great post! Fouty has spent more time and and put more effort into the basketball program than anyone I know. Even going back to his high school days, he has pretty much done everything.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bballfever wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks for the clarification. I wish the Wellston basketball program well. Fouty has put in the time and could very well lead the program. Also seems like a high quality individual. I’ve watched him coach several games and have no issues at all.

I have zero investment in this....I believe a good guy with some coaching knowledge and abilities could lead Wellston to where they feel they should be....but only if players and especially parents are all in once the hire is made.

bballfever
Waterboy

Post by bballfever »

Absolutely correct E High. You can’t rebuild a program and establish continuity if you keep rotating through coaches. You need someone that will be there for an extended period of time as a leader for sustainable long term success, as well as buy in from the players and parents. Ervin is a nice guy, but he has also moved around through the program wherever his kids are. Which is fine being involved in you kids life and helping out, but more than likely, 3yrs till his son graduates and he’s out. Then you have to find another coach and start again.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Rick Scarberry is Northwest's coach again. Drew Scarberry will also be there.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

bballfever wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:54 pm
Absolutely correct E High. You can’t rebuild a program and establish continuity if you keep rotating through coaches. You need someone that will be there for an extended period of time as a leader for sustainable long term success, as well as buy in from the players and parents. Ervin is a nice guy, but he has also moved around through the program wherever his kids are. Which is fine being involved in you kids life and helping out, but more than likely, 3yrs till his son graduates and he’s out. Then you have to find another coach and start again.
The best parents and coaches are there before, during, and after their kids. Lost art today

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I guess it is official. Scarberry is back at Northwest and his son is going to assist. Hopefully that is a long term hire. Dad for a few year then the son for many years.

What is the story with Portsmouth West? Have they interviewed yet. You would think Bradford would be the right choice with young talent coming.

What about Franklin Furnace Green? Have they hired yet?

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am I guess it is official. Scarberry is back at Northwest and his son is going to assist. Hopefully that is a long term hire. Dad for a few year then the son for many years.

What is the story with Portsmouth West? Have they interviewed yet. You would think Bradford would be the right choice with young talent coming.

I’ve heard of only two people apply so far for west and neither of them were Bradford. I guess he didn’t like them getting rid of him a couple of years back for Scott Davis.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:53 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am I guess it is official. Scarberry is back at Northwest and his son is going to assist. Hopefully that is a long term hire. Dad for a few year then the son for many years.

I’ve heard of only two people apply so far for west and neither of them were Bradford. I guess he didn’t like them getting rid of him a couple of years back for Scott Davis.
Thought there would be more interest in West job, but like I said, it about 2022-23 season before they’ll be competitive. Bradford may just be content with staying at Burg as assistant and going to Convo every year. Not a bad gig for sure.*

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:53 pm I’ve heard of only two people apply so far for west and neither of them were Bradford. I guess he didn’t like them getting rid of him a couple of years back for Scott Davis.
I don't believe this is correct. Bradford was the coach and he resigned to pursue his masters.

I was told he did reapply when the job was open 3 years ago but didn't get it.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Is there any news as far as the Wellston coaching position being filled yet ?

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

No.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

It’s getting harder and harder to get a solid coach and a solid staff.

Statesville Slayer
Waterboy

Post by Statesville Slayer »

E High wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 am It’s getting harder and harder to get a solid coach and a solid staff.
Valley just put together a staff of Persin, Copley, and Fenton.

bballfever
Waterboy

Post by bballfever »

The valley staff has probably been in the works behind closed doors though. Biggest thing for programs without coaches yet, is the fact that skills training can resume soon and programs that need to rebuild anyway will be further behind.

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

The Board picked a good baseball coach and football coach.. Hopefully, that will happen again.
Last edited by GRFan on Sat May 23, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Statesville Slayer wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:02 am
E High wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 am It’s getting harder and harder to get a solid coach and a solid staff.
Valley just put together a staff of Persin, Copley, and Fenton.
I’m sure they have. There’s a few that do. Problem at a lot of schools is that teachers/coaches in the building don’t want to coach anymore or aren’t very qualified. Thus, many coaches have to go outside the district to find coaches. That’s usually really good or really bad.

bballfever
Waterboy

Post by bballfever »

GRFan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 pm The Board picked a good baseball coach and football coach.. Hopefully, that will happen again.
Well they have a very capable in house candidate in Fouty, and I believe he would do an incredible job rebuilding the program for years to come. Been working his way up through the program, teacher at the school, has done an excellent job with the JV teams, and has support of many players and parents. Not really sure why they can’t just make a decision at this point.

Return to “Boys Basketball”