Coaching Vacancies 2020-2021

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Re: Coaching Vacancies 2020-2021

Post by Bo_Diaz »

Norm sure didn't chase the talent when he took the Oak Hill job. There wasn't much there when he took the job, but a year or so later a couple of transfers changed that and a state title was the result.

Is there anything official on Horton to Green? I keep hearing the JV coach has some support up there, but didn't know if a final decision had been made.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Norm cant stop its in his blood. :D

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

You got to be able to Kenny Rogers this at some point.

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

pfloyd wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:10 pm Let me be one of the first to welcome Coach Jeff Skinner BACK "court side" !!! Coach Skinner will be leading the Alexander Spartans for the 2020-21 season ... it will be good seeing Coach Skinner back on the bench ... he has arguably the best player in the TVC Ohio returning next season in soph to be Kyler D'Augustino to build around ... looking forward to getting down to Alex to see the Spartans & Coach Skinner in 2020-21 !!! Best of luck Coach !!! on a side note - Alexander vs Athens and Athens vs Alexander will be a couple of fun games to watch next season !
Well, Jeff will always know what time it is in the Alley, pfloyd!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Marauders19 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:25 pm Storming Norman left Oak hill the talent is gone.. The old dude is a talent chaser. Don’t lie to hide your agenda just simply say talent is gone here I want talent it feeds my ego
What decent coach isn’t a “talent chaser?” Who gonna leave a job for one with no prospects of winning? Everybody knew when Valley job came open that some real coaches were gonna be interested. Norm probably had made up his mind to call it quits, but when a job like that comes open, I can’t blame him for changing his mind*

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

I respect Coach Norm in what he did with the Chesapeake Panthers and the Oak Hill Oaks, but after a very short retirement, he will lead the Valley Indians. Best of Luck Norm.

KeyserSoze_Deux
Waterboy

Post by KeyserSoze_Deux »

https://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/s ... -at-valley

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"What if uh.....c-a-t...really spelled dog?" - Revenge of the Nerds II

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

E High
All State

Post by E High »

art_vandelay wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:45 pm
Marauders19 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:25 pm Storming Norman left Oak hill the talent is gone.. The old dude is a talent chaser. Don’t lie to hide your agenda just simply say talent is gone here I want talent it feeds my ego
What decent coach isn’t a “talent chaser?” Who gonna leave a job for one with no prospects of winning? Everybody knew when Valley job came open that some real coaches were gonna be interested. Norm probably had made up his mind to call it quits, but when a job like that comes open, I can’t blame him for changing his mind*
Is he LaBron James Sr ? The best coaches stick around, even in bad times. Take their azz whippings and continue to build their programs going forward. Everyone’s not a front runner. A lot of this today.

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Very nice article by Daily times . Everyone has a opinion. Most make NO sense . I just hope we have sports this coming year ??

E High
All State

Post by E High »

I do wish him and Valley well. Hope it all works out. I still stick to my above response.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

E High wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:07 pm
Is he LaBron James Sr ? The best coaches stick around, even in bad times. Take their azz whippings and continue to build their programs going forward. Everyone’s not a front runner. A lot of this today.
Persin been at 3 different schools in like 30+ years of coaching prior to taking Valley job. Think that qualifies as “sticking around.”*

2TheHouse
Waterboy

Post by 2TheHouse »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:03 am

Persin been at 3 different schools in like 30+ years of coaching prior to taking Valley job. Think that qualifies as “sticking around.”*
Actually 40+ years. Has 42 years experience. Valley makes his 3rd different High School in 40+ years. The buzz is that with the talent he has playing in D4, it's Columbus or bust!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I may have missed it, but has the Oak Hill position been filled yet ? I heard who was possibly being considered for the job, was just wondering ?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

2TheHouse wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:24 am
art_vandelay wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:03 am
Actually 40+ years. Has 42 years experience. Valley makes his 3rd different High School in 40+ years. The buzz is that with the talent he has playing in D4, it's Columbus or bust!
Actually I believe its 5 schools. He was girls coach at Northwest for 1 year, assistant at Gallia Academy for a few years.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

If he’s really hooked on coaching, why didn’t he stay at his last school. Let me guess , talent ! That’s ok , I guess he’s earned that right. Hope they do well 👍

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Like all of us, Norm isn’t getting any younger. He’s been in the business for around 5 decades. He’s coached talented teams, he’s coached not very talented teams. If there’s one guy out there who deserves the right to coach where he wants, it’s him.

The Oak Hill people who matter understand the decision and why. If Valley’s young kids are as good as advertised then their families have to be ecstatic that one of the best to ever do it will now be coaching them.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

E High wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:13 pm If he’s really hooked on coaching, why didn’t he stay at his last school. Let me guess , talent ! That’s ok , I guess he’s earned that right. Hope they do well 👍
With all your posts on this subject, I have a hard time believing you hope they do well. And that’s fine.
The opportunity was there to do this. It happened. It’s his 3rd coaching spot in 40 years. Lol.
1. He’s not stupid, and if he left because he was content with what he accomplished at OH, knowing they weren’t getting better, I don’t blame him.
2. Valley had no idea Norm was on the radar until very late in the process. And I’m 100% sure the Horton non renewal has nothing at all to do with thinking Norm would come.
3. And talent or whatever reason he came here? Who cares???
I’m glad he’s here. The school board made a good decision. And that’s the end of it.
Play ball.
Go Indians!! Many people out there really hope we do well..!!!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

I agree with some of that. He sure wasn’t going to take a bad job. Now just win baby !

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Persin also coached at Wilmington for a couple of seasons. I think that was after his first stint at Oak Hill. Definitely before Chesapeake.

I’m sure he was planning on actually being retired, before this job opened up.

2TheHouse
Waterboy

Post by 2TheHouse »

Any word on the Franklin Furnace vacancy? I heard that the JV coach out there is the front-runner....

Return to “Boys Basketball”