Wheelersburg Technical

Dragon70
Freshman Team

Wheelersburg Technical

Post by Dragon70 »

Any “official” word on that tech that was called against Wheelersburg and announced on JJ?? That’s such a huge call with loss of possession and two free throws especially if it’s true it came from cheer block.

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Wheelersburg Technical

Post by art_vandelay »

Guys on radio thought it came from the stands as soon as it happened. Said photographers on floor were pointing up at Burg student section.*

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Dragon70 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:21 pm Any “official” word on that tech that was called against Wheelersburg and announced on JJ?? That’s such a huge call with loss of possession and two free throws especially if it’s true it came from cheer block.

I wasn’t at the game but thought I saw it mentioned in the updates but didn’t this happen in the 3rd qtr??

If so would not have had an impact on the game. Still a whole 4th qtr to play.

Peake24
Waterboy

Post by Peake24 »

From my view the boy didn’t appear to do anything wrong. Maybe said something in reaction from the stands?

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

The ref that called it was within 10 feet of Truitt when he called the T.

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Who was the ref that called the technical? What three did the game today? Was asked a couple of times on the update thread and no one would ever say.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

So Truitt is on the court, referee 10 ft away...but 15 feet higher and 30 feet away somehow someone sounded like it came from Truitt?

Thank God it wasn’t Schwarzel who called it or this board would blow up
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:52 pm So Truitt is in the court, referee 10 ft away...but 15 feet higher and 30 feet away somehow sounded somehow like it came from Truitt?

Thank God it wasn’t Schwartzel who called it or this board would blow up
Yes, plus the Burg bench didn’t really argue it.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:36 pm
Dragon70 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:21 pm Any “official” word on that tech that was called against Wheelersburg and announced on JJ?? That’s such a huge call with loss of possession and two free throws especially if it’s true it came from cheer block.

I wasn’t at the game but thought I saw it mentioned in the updates but didn’t this happen in the 3rd qtr??

You are correct, the Technical was called at about the 3:00 minute mark of the 3rd Qtr. Peake was ahead I think at the time 25-24, and then converted both shots for a 27-24 lead. I checked Lucas Davenports updates at the time, and that's what I see.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

In my opinion, the final score of that game had zero to do with the officiating.

Post by danicalifornia »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm In my opinion, the final score of that game had zero to do with the officiating.
Agreed 100%

If Peake didn’t miss several bunnies in the first half, it wouldn’t have ended as close as it did. Felt like Peake controlled the game, IMO

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

The ref was incredibly close to the player when he called it and Burg’s bench never seemed to argue it.... in those situations I’ll trust the officials word more so than a photographer sitting on the floor.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Dragon70
Freshman Team

Post by Dragon70 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:36 pm

I disagree with that. Yes 4th quarter is very important but the points are scored the same way in the first three quarters. Plus that can be a momentum thing that could affect you for 3-4 mins either way up or down. Could be at least a 4-5 point swing.

Dragon70
Freshman Team

Post by Dragon70 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 pm In my opinion, the final score of that game had zero to do with the officiating.
I agree!! Peake outplayed them I was just hoping somebody heard something official from the ref, talked to the coach or player etc.. I was left of the students and heard “can you blow your whistle “ and then T called so I was curious.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:18 pm The ref was incredibly close to the player when he called it and Burg’s bench never seemed to argue it.... in those situations I’ll trust the officials word more so than a photographer sitting on the floor.
I wasn’t there, just posting what guys on WNXT claimed. Given the technical foul history of the player in question, does seem like a stretch.*

Dragon70
Freshman Team

Post by Dragon70 »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:18 pm The ref was incredibly close to the player when he called it and Burg’s bench never seemed to argue it.... in those situations I’ll trust the officials word more so than a photographer sitting on the floor.
I wasn’t there, just posting what guys on WNXT claimed. Given the technical foul history of the player in question, does seem like a stretch.*
That’s true that the coach didn’t argue too much. The player looked dumbfounded at the reserves they looked unsure of too and they all were just looking around. Plus play was slow at the time.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Whether or not this affected the outcome of this particular game or not, we will never know for sure. We can "sugarcoat" this anyway that we want, depending on witch team that we really wanted to win the game. If I'm not mistaken, and I very well may be, hasn't this same situation happened with the said player more than one time already this season ? It's just a little hard for me to think that any official would give a technical to a player on the floor, even if someone in the cheer block said something to him. If it happened before as I asked, then I would be wondering if the Head Coach has control over his own team ?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

For one I don’t know how the refs could possibly hear a fan say something unless it was shouted. 2nd why would they give it to Truitt? 3rd, it’s Truitt The leader in techs

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

No idea who said what, but at the time of the call, the ref was all the way in the corner, Truitt was about mid bench area, so the ref was about 1/2 way between the 2 spots. From where the ref was, he may have been closer to the cheer block than he was to Truitt. The Burg bench did immediately look and point to the stands, but again, I was across the floor so I have no idea what was said. Truitt may be the leader in T's, but don't make it out like he has 8-10 on the season. I think there were 3 all year.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I believe the better team won.

Return to “Boys Basketball”