(2) Trimble vs (7) Fairfield

Bulldog84
All Conference

Re: (2) Trimble vs (7) Fairfield

Post by Bulldog84 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:25 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:08 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm

Howie hasn’t knocked anyone off. He’s certainly a very good coach but he’s down a notch from those two (as are most everyone else)
I beg the differ on that.
He does more with less than any coach in SEO.
To get a group of football players, none over 6 foot, to play the game almost to perfection fundamentally is unreal. I watch it year in & year out.
What positions do Breydan and Tyler Weber play on the football field?
I don’t believe they play tackle football.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 am
Sports24/7 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:05 am PS...Tyler does lift and will play alot for the Tomcats in the fall
Will he try to double in XC as well? He’s talented there too. Just missed all-district and of course team Trimble XC has been a mainstay at the regionals the past decade with a trip or two to state.

I’ve been very impressed with Trimble athletics on the boys side for a good while now. Football is incredibly successful but basketball, XC, track, baseball I’ve not heard but was very good early in this spurt they were.

I remember all of these current players when they were jr high track....lord they were impressive. No, not tall but put together and very talented. Guffey/Wisor/Weber etc.

Good people too.
Nice to hear someone actually saying nice things about the kids(teams)we get on here and discuss no matter where there from so Thank you.....Brayden was the XC star Tyler has always played football as far as I know....Trimble does awfully well for what they have in all sports(not great but really good) and will be hearing much more about there girls the next several years as well...Troy summed it up best about Howie and Trimble in my opinion....he is absolutely one of the best...averaging 20 wins a season over the six years he's been at Trimble....only imagine the banners hung if he'd been there much sooner....JMT

IndianChop
Riding the Bench

Post by IndianChop »

I'm picking Fairfield 68 to 60. Only seen Trimble play once this year and it was against Peebles and Peebles could of beat them by as many as they wanted it was ugly. Don`t know if that was just a bad game but Fairfield has some players and showed it against NB.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm Stiverson, Maddox & Howie back in the finals yet again. Hmmmmmmmm
🤔
Howie hasn’t knocked anyone off. He’s certainly a very good coach but he’s down a notch from those two (as are most everyone else)
I92, you know I'm a big fan of both Coach Maddox and Coach Stiverson - none better in my mind ... BUT Howie has more than earned the right to be talked about in the same sentence as both ... Howie has taken his Reedsville Eastern team to the state tournament - THAT was when I learned to admire Howie's coaching - he had size on those teams at Reedsville Eastern , great guard play - shows what HE can do when all of the pieces are there - the same outstanding fundamentals, philosophy at both ends - pick & rolls, great D ... Howie is right there in any conversation of the best coaches/teachers of the game with anyone imo ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:46 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm Stiverson, Maddox & Howie back in the finals yet again. Hmmmmmmmm
🤔
I92, you know I'm a big fan of both Coach Maddox and Coach Stiverson - none better in my mind ... BUT Howie has more than earned the right to be talked about in the same sentence as both ... Howie has taken his Reedsville Eastern team to the state tournament - THAT was when I learned to admire Howie's coaching - he had size on those teams at Reedsville Eastern , great guard play - shows what HE can do when all of the pieces are there - the same outstanding fundamentals, philosophy at both ends - pick & rolls, great D ... Howie is right there in any conversation of the best coaches/teachers of the game with anyone imo ...
Again, respected. I simply hold those two higher than any other SE District coach. Not saying I’m right but just my opinion on it. Caldwell/Beucler/Combs/Speed/Arey....all right up there but just a notch down for me. I don’t believe I’m being insulting. He’s been very good for a long time.

PETER GOZNYA
Waterboy

Post by PETER GOZNYA »

Sports24/7 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:30 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 am
Sports24/7 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:05 am PS...Tyler does lift and will play alot for the Tomcats in the fall
Will he try to double in XC as well? He’s talented there too. Just missed all-district and of course team Trimble XC has been a mainstay at the regionals the past decade with a trip or two to state.

I’ve been very impressed with Trimble athletics on the boys side for a good while now. Football is incredibly successful but basketball, XC, track, baseball I’ve not heard but was very good early in this spurt they were.

I remember all of these current players when they were jr high track....lord they were impressive. No, not tall but put together and very talented. Guffey/Wisor/Weber etc.

Good people too.
Nice to hear someone actually saying nice things about the kids(teams)we get on here and discuss no matter where there from so Thank you.....Brayden was the XC star Tyler has always played football as far as I know....Trimble does awfully well for what they have in all sports(not great but really good) and will be hearing much more about there girls the next several years as well...Troy summed it up best about Howie and Trimble in my opinion....he is absolutely one of the best...averaging 20 wins a season over the six years he's been at Trimble....only imagine the banners hung if he'd been there much sooner....JMT

Trimble has another sport besides football??????

tomcat82
Freshman Team

Post by tomcat82 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm My bad, he had Tyler and Brayden playing 1 on 1 all summer & fall since all other bodies were lifting & playing football.

That is the unique situation Howie is in, he doesn't get his hands on the kids until mid to late November - and still makes winners out of em. Maddox & Stiverson have the luxury of coaching at 'basketball schools.' They play all summer, some even in the fall, they come up through the grades knowing they are at a school with basketball expectations every winter. It's the complete opposite at Trimble. They eat, drink, breath football 8 months out of the year. The only time they take a break is to play a little bit of hoops in the winter to stay in shape.
Tyler plays football one heck of a running back!! I’m not sure what position he will play next year but he runs cross country to!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

tomcat82 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm My bad, he had Tyler and Brayden playing 1 on 1 all summer & fall since all other bodies were lifting & playing football.

That is the unique situation Howie is in, he doesn't get his hands on the kids until mid to late November - and still makes winners out of em. Maddox & Stiverson have the luxury of coaching at 'basketball schools.' They play all summer, some even in the fall, they come up through the grades knowing they are at a school with basketball expectations every winter. It's the complete opposite at Trimble. They eat, drink, breath football 8 months out of the year. The only time they take a break is to play a little bit of hoops in the winter to stay in shape.
Tyler plays football one heck of a running back!! I’m not sure what position he will play next year but he runs cross country to!!
Like I said...he was just a few seconds from being all-district. As for the combo the only significant one I know of was Evan Leist of Eastern Pike a few years back was district champion in XC and had 1000 receiving in football. Insane to do both and do each well.

Impressive athlete Mr Weber

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

For me, I still put Howie on the top line because of what he does besides the X's & O's or preperation or in game adjustments. In this day and age when coaching is hard and parents are more difficult, he still demands respect and gets it from both. And not only that, they love him for it. They also know a last name wont get them anywhere, every kid has to earn their spot - and that too they respect. I love the fact every kid has to be clean cut, clean shaved and all wear the same shoes. It's all about the team concept from what they do on the court to off it ... But really, Howie's most important asset is that he is an incredible person/coach/teacher. Kids who have played for him can call him up 10 years later for important life advice. I have yet to run across one who hasnt said they absolutely love the guy & appreciated playing for him. And it's not just boys and basketball either, Howie darn near won a state championship in volleyball with a group of girls from Eastern. That's when I truly came to respect him as a coach. That guy was just as hard on them girls as he is his boys - and they responded to it.

Throw all that on top of what I mentioned earlier about taking average players & making them good, or good players & making them great or decent teams and taking them to district title games - to me - that puts him on the top of the list. If I had my choice, it would be between Blaine & Howie to run my program if I were AD. It's those two, 1 & 1A, with a lot of outstanding B coaches in the area right on their heels.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:18 pm For me, I still put Howie on the top line because of what he does besides the X's & O's or preperation or in game adjustments. In this day and age when coaching is hard and parents are more difficult, he still demands respect and gets it from both. And not only that, they love him for it. They also know a last name wont get them anywhere, every kid has to earn their spot - and that too they respect. I love the fact every kid has to be clean cut, clean shaved and all wear the same shoes. It's all about the team concept from what they do on the court to off it ... But really, Howie's most important asset is that he is an incredible person/coach/teacher. Kids who have played for him can call him up 10 years later for important life advice. I have yet to run across one who hasnt said they absolutely love the guy & appreciated playing for him. And it's not just boys and basketball either, Howie darn near won a state championship in volleyball with a group of girls from Eastern. That's when I truly came to respect him as a coach. That guy was just as hard on them girls as he is his boys - and they responded to it.

Throw all that on top of what I mentioned earlier about taking average players & making them good, or good players & making them great or decent teams and taking them to district title games - to me - that puts him on the top of the list. If I had my choice, it would be between Blaine & Howie to run my program if I were AD. It's those two, 1 & 1A, with a lot of outstanding B coaches in the area right on their heels.
Another much respected and well reasoned post.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:11 pm
pfloyd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:46 pm

Again, respected. I simply hold those two higher than any other SE District coach. Not saying I’m right but just my opinion on it. Caldwell/Beucler/Combs/Speed/Arey....all right up there but just a notch down for me. I don’t believe I’m being insulting. He’s been very good for a long time.
... not saying I'm right either I92 ... and I KNOW you are not disrespecting Howie - that's not you my friend ... and I agree with you on your great list of coaches/teachers of the game - ALL of them are outstanding ...

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Is anyone picking Fairfield? If New Boston beat Fairfield by 16 would anyone be picking Trimble?

I see this as a near 50/50 game. No surprise whoever wins. Alot of people I was around at New Boston game sure thought Fairfield was well coached to. Maybe Trimble runs away with it but Fairfield not getting much talk

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ed Ott wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:43 pm Is anyone picking Fairfield? If New Boston beat Fairfield by 16 would anyone be picking Trimble?

I see this as a near 50/50 game. No surprise whoever wins. Alot of people I was around at New Boston game sure thought Fairfield was well coached to. Maybe Trimble runs away with it but Fairfield not getting much talk
Trimble beat South Gallia 58-54
Trimble beat South Gallia 53-40
Fairfield just beat South Gallia 63-43

Not sure anyone is thinking the Cats are a big favorite. If anything, they wold probably be the underdog in Vegas.

IndianChop
Riding the Bench

Post by IndianChop »

Ed Ott wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:43 pm Is anyone picking Fairfield? If New Boston beat Fairfield by 16 would anyone be picking Trimble?

Picked Fairfield by 8 I think Trimbles overated!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Will Fairfield be able to come down off of there "High" after beating a very talented New Boston team, and refocus against a pretty good defensive team such as Trimble ? I think that Fairfield has a very good team, but I'm not sure that scoring will be as easy as it was against NB. Trimble pretty much dominated South Webster in every facet of the game from the get go, I don't see it being that way against Fairfield. Trimble the higher seed, Fairfield never an easy out for anyone. Should be a very good competitive ballgame.

WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

I watched Eastern Brown absolutely dominate Fairfield at Fairfield....BUT.......Eastern was playing their typical good game. Fairfield played well, but was overmatched in 4/5 positions. BUTTTTTTTTT.......they were good, and ran into a hot Eastern team playing for an undefeated SHAC season and gold ball. Fairfield impressed me...very much so! They could shoot, they can run, they have size. They play in a league with Eastern, North Adams, and Peebles, Ripley is no awful team. They beat division II Hillsboro. Anyone that takes them lightly is making a mistake. I have seen their junior high teams the last two years, and those are LOADED teams. Their freshman class this year is solid. You will be hearing much more about Fairfield for the next 6 years. It will be an awesome game.

Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

IndianChop wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:36 pm

Picked Fairfield by 8 I think Trimbles overated!
Trimble is 20-3 and is playing for a district title Saturday. Where would you rate them? What are they rated now?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Trimble is perfectly rated and perfectly seeded ...door is open for a district championship and the chance comes against the 7 seed

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

Trimble will be well prepared, that’s for certain. If Trimble is able to push the ball like the did against South Webster, it could be a long night for Fairfield.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:06 pm I think Trimble is perfectly rated and perfectly seeded ...door is open for a district championship and the chance comes against the 7 seed
... totally agree I92 ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”