(2) Trimble vs (7) Fairfield

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Re: (2) Trimble vs (7) Fairfield

Post by Sports24/7 »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:09 am
Happy McGavin wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:00 am
formerfcfan wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:09 am Getting back to Trimble/Grandview Hts in general...

It’s not anything against Trimble. It’s not an undeserved, let alone exaggerated, praise of one particular GH player... either. It’s just a bad matchup for Trimble. Think back to when Trimble played Africentric 4-5 years ago, perhaps. Except this time, Grandview is just going to take their time on offense and beat Trimble in the half-court. GH this year has basically any D4’s coach’s dream team: high-level point guard, 3-4 kids 6’2”-6’4” that play quite good perimeter D who can also collapse and crash inside to stop the ball and force tough shots. Plus Lachey is a beast off the block, both ways.
Fairfield had kids, 6'2, 6'4, 6'4. Size isn't everything
Fairfield’s not even close to being on the level of GH, though.
GH is a different level than what Trimble has faced...however....Trimble is not Fisher Catholic....The better team will win out at this stage....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:09 am Getting back to Trimble/Grandview Hts in general...

It’s not anything against Trimble. It’s not an undeserved, let alone exaggerated, praise of one particular GH player... either. It’s just a bad matchup for Trimble. Think back to when Trimble played Africentric 4-5 years ago, perhaps. Except this time, Grandview is just going to take their time on offense and beat Trimble in the half-court. GH this year has basically any D4’s coach’s dream team: high-level point guard, 3-4 kids 6’2”-6’4” that play quite good perimeter D who can also collapse and crash inside to stop the ball and force tough shots. Plus Lachey is a beast off the block, both ways.
2014/2015

Africentric 55
Trimble 47 ... That game was close right up until the end when the Cats had to foul.

Africentric 63
Trimble 57 ... The following year was even closer. Thought the Cats really had a chance to pull that one out. Both Nubian teams were loaded with 6'6, 6'4 and 6'3 across the front line.

Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

IndianChop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:03 pm
Superman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:10 pm
IndianChop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Teams they have beat this year record has a combine record of 161-257 records from max preps. I'm not saying they have them seeded wrong who else would they put there. Just saying I dont think they are as good as their record shows. Not saying they are a bad team just saying Fairfield has a good chance at beating them.
You said they were over rated.

I asked two questions.
1. Where are they rated now?
2. Where would you have them rated?

Please be honest in your answers.
Lol il be honest I guess I shouldn't of used overated. I should of said they aren't as good as their record shows. I would of gave them the 3 seed because of record. So I agree but I do think Fairfield is a better team just my opion. Alot tougher schedule with Peebles twice both close games. Hillsboro, Blanchester, Eastern Brown. We will see.
How do you feel about them now?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Sports24/7 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:09 am
formerfcfan wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:09 am
Happy McGavin wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:00 am
Fairfield had kids, 6'2, 6'4, 6'4. Size isn't everything
Fairfield’s not even close to being on the level of GH, though.
GH is a different level than what Trimble has faced...however....Trimble is not Fisher Catholic....The better team will win out at this stage....
If you’re comparing the two, then common opponents say you’re wrong on FC/Trimble. Having seen both, they’re both pretty similar in court-skills and in the coaching department.

Again, not criticizing Trimble. Trimble just has no definite advantage in any parts of this up-coming game. Both teams are pretty well-coached, GH probably has more depth. Trimble might have some quicker kids, so maybe they can disrupt some passes. Trimble could do all the things they need to defensively against GH, they could shoot better than they did last night against Fairfield. But again, not sure how that all can translate into a path to victory against a much larger team (one that uses their height far better than Fairfield did.)

IndianChop
Riding the Bench

Post by IndianChop »

Superman wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:05 am
IndianChop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:03 pm
Superman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:10 pm

You said they were over rated.

I asked two questions.
1. Where are they rated now?
2. Where would you have them rated?

Please be honest in your answers.
Lol il be honest I guess I shouldn't of used overated. I should of said they aren't as good as their record shows. I would of gave them the 3 seed because of record. So I agree but I do think Fairfield is a better team just my opion. Alot tougher schedule with Peebles twice both close games. Hillsboro, Blanchester, Eastern Brown. We will see.
How do you feel about them now?
Better then Fairfield lol But to be Honest Peebles and Trimble cant be missing open lay ups. It was pretty bad for both teams on that.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

There is an old saying at the poker table, all you need is a chip & a chair.

Better to have a chance than hitting the baseball diamond early.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Fairfield’s big kid last night was huge. Hopefully he plays football

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:33 pm Fairfield’s big kid last night was huge. Hopefully he plays football
Lol seriously?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

He’s 6’6 300 pounds and moves well. I’m sure Trimble would have loved him on the OL.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:22 pm He’s 6’6 300 pounds and moves well. I’m sure Trimble would have loved him on the OL.
Fairfield doesn’t have football. Fall is XC and soccer for them (XC team been to state 8 straight years I believe)

Manchester is the only SE district team in the SHAC to be OHSAA affiliated. Fayetteville is as well.

North Adams, Peebles, West Union and Eastern Brown have club football teams but not sure why. Whiteoak, Lynchburg, Fairfield and Ripley have avoided those IMO poor decisions of football.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I’m surprised Clinton Massie didn’t get him to play there since Fairfield doesn’t play football. You can’t teach size

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:27 pm Fairfield doesn’t have football. Fall is XC and soccer for them (XC team been to state 8 straight years I believe)

Manchester is the only SE district team in the SHAC to be OHSAA affiliated. Fayetteville is as well.

North Adams, Peebles, West Union and Eastern Brown have club football teams but not sure why. Whiteoak, Lynchburg, Fairfield and Ripley have avoided those IMO poor decisions of football.
I think they used to have Ohsaa football but had a player die on the field in the 80’s. They then dropped football.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:29 pm I’m surprised Clinton Massie didn’t get him to play there since Fairfield doesn’t play football. You can’t teach size
Fairfield a prideful community more than most. They don’t get transfers and don’t lose kids either. Just simply not a football area.

BallHaire
Waterboy

Post by BallHaire »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:08 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm Stiverson, Maddox & Howie back in the finals yet again. Hmmmmmmmm
🤔
Howie hasn’t knocked anyone off. He’s certainly a very good coach but he’s down a notch from those two (as are most everyone else)
I beg the differ on that.
He does more with less than any coach in SEO.
To get a group of football players, none over 6 foot, to play the game almost to perfection fundamentally is unreal. I watch it year in & year out.
"He does more with less than any coach in SEO." What are you basing that off of? Since the day he stepped in to the gym for his first practice at Trimble they were overflowing with talent. Howie is a very competent coach, but even better at putting himself in the best position win by following the talent. These other two coaches have been at their schools for quite some time and have built a culture of sustained success and winning. Staying at school during all the highs and lows says a lot about the coach. Running as soon as your talent dips says even more.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

People who say that dont know Howie or have any idea of the situations he was in, especially at Federal Hocking where the administration was a hot mess during the short time he was there.

And it's not like Trimble was some basketball power before his arrival or a hot bed for hoops talent. They had won just 3 district titles in the history of the school. Since he started in 2014/2015 they have won 3 more.

BallHaire
Waterboy

Post by BallHaire »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 am People who say that dont know Howie or have any idea of the situations he was in, especially at Federal Hocking where the administration was a hot mess during the short time he was there.

And it's not like Trimble was some basketball power before his arrival or a hot bed for hoops talent. They had won just 3 district titles in the history of the school. Since he started in 2014/2015 they have won 3 more.
During this same period of time Trimble has also achieved things in football and Xcountry that they haven't done before. I respect your opinion, but its safe to say Trimble has had a good 5-6 run of athletes. Which is where the majority of the credit should be going.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

It isn't like Trimble hasn't had athletes in the past... Actually, Trimble has had several years where they were talented but underachieved.

Football and Basketball has two very good coaches in place that are getting the most out of those athletes. Just because you 'have athletes' doesn't mean you're going to win in every sport...... Howie has taken those athletes and molded them into a very solid basketball team..... even though the majority of these kids do not focus on basketball only.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
BigLeagueChew
Waterboy

Post by BigLeagueChew »

I am still at a complete loss as to what Fairfield was trying to accomplish on offense.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BallHaire wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:47 am
93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 am People who say that dont know Howie or have any idea of the situations he was in, especially at Federal Hocking where the administration was a hot mess during the short time he was there.

During this same period of time Trimble has also achieved things in football and Xcountry that they haven't done before. I respect your opinion, but its safe to say Trimble has had a good 5-6 run of athletes. Which is where the majority of the credit should be going.
Do you know how many teams I have watched over the years with a plethora of great athletes not achieve a darn thing on the hardwood? The answer is A LOT!

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 am It isn't like Trimble hasn't had athletes in the past... Actually, Trimble has had several years where they were talented but underachieved.

Football and Basketball has two very good coaches in place that are getting the most out of those athletes. Just because you 'have athletes' doesn't mean you're going to win in every sport...... Howie has taken those athletes and molded them into a very solid basketball team..... even though the majority of these kids do not focus on basketball only.
Very well said.....As far as Howie goes at least at Trimble he has formed decent athletes..not great...into very good TEAMS during his tenure....They have not just gone through a run of athletes they have always had them and have underachieved like you said but what he has found is the kids and the community have bought into his approach (and it's not for everyone but most)and the results are where there at today.....Can only imagine the championships he would have if he had been there since the 90's

Return to “Boys Basketball”