(2) Trimble vs (7) Fairfield

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

(2) Trimble vs (7) Fairfield

Post by 93Bulldog »

Thoughts?

Saturdays game can be heard live on Power 105.5FM or streamed online at wxtq.com.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: (2) Trimble vs (7) Fairfield

Post by Ironman92 »

Could go either way. Fairfield was definitely up and focused for NB. If they can repeat that they can win again. I think teams are pretty similar.

Team hitting shots and playing some defense will advance

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:38 pm Could go either way. Fairfield was definitely up and focused for NB. If they can repeat that they can win again. I think teams are pretty similar.

Team hitting shots and playing some defense will advance
Both teams seem to like playing at the Convo. Fairfield hit the threes fairly well also pounded in to Bentley. Bentley and Simmons hitting the boards will be a must. Trimble loves attacking the lane. They stick to their offensive sets well. FF needs to limit the Tomcats run outs by hitting the boards and close out on defense end. If Fairfield can force the one and done as they did the first half of the NB game it will help.
I'm not picking a winner ,but; Peebles is a common opponent. Fairfield played them twice home and away and Trimble played them on a neutral court. Trimble has a short ride to the house and Fairfield has over a two hour trip on gameday. Bus rides are never fun. It will be a good game and I will be at the convo to see it. Safe travels all.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Howie will have the Tomcats ready. Trimble 72 Fairfield 56. Go Cats. Any extra Trimble shirts,any size .please bring for the Jeep fans coming The Truth Pine will take as many as he can wear because you never know when a bathroom trip will turn ugly. Blake will score and defend, say 23 points and 10 rebounds

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I'm thinking that "how Trimble handles James "Bam Bam" Bentley will go a long way in determining the winner in this one" ... Sawyer Koon's D in the middle moving or if he can move Bentley off the blocks will be key imo ... the Fairfield guards showed the ability to knock down the three ball , and Bentley showed a knack for finding them ... I'm a Howie believer ! game preparation - not many are better in getting a TEAM ready for an opponent ... I'm a believer in the Tomcats as well - Weber "squared", Cameron Kittle, Blake Guffey, Sawyer Koons, Austin Wisor , Bryce Downs, Conner Wright & Coach Howie ... I'm not betting against Trimble ... I always go with TEAM ... should be a great game for watching the strategies unfold - a pfloyd kind of game !!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Stiverson, Maddox & Howie back in the finals yet again. Hmmmmmmmm
🤔

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm Stiverson, Maddox & Howie back in the finals yet again. Hmmmmmmmm
🤔
Howie hasn’t knocked anyone off. He’s certainly a very good coach but he’s down a notch from those two (as are most everyone else)

Happy McGavin
Varsity

Post by Happy McGavin »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:00 pm I'm thinking that "how Trimble handles James "Bam Bam" Bentley will go a long way in determining the winner in this one" ... Sawyer Koon's D in the middle moving or if he can move Bentley off the blocks will be key imo ... the Fairfield guards showed the ability to knock down the three ball , and Bentley showed a knack for finding them ... I'm a Howie believer ! game preparation - not many are better in getting a TEAM ready for an opponent ... I'm a believer in the Tomcats as well - Weber "squared", Cameron Kittle, Blake Guffey, Sawyer Koons, Austin Wisor , Bryce Downs, Conner Wright & Coach Howie ... I'm not betting against Trimble ... I always go with TEAM ... should be a great game for watching the strategies unfold - a pfloyd kind of game !!!
My guess is Sawyer will play very physical with Bentley and the Cats will try to run, run, run, and run some more to wear him out. Should be a good one

Its all in the hips
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Gotta hear the yearly insight from noted Fairfield fan McBuckets. He was right about Monday!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm Stiverson, Maddox & Howie back in the finals yet again. Hmmmmmmmm
🤔
Howie hasn’t knocked anyone off. He’s certainly a very good coach but he’s down a notch from those two (as are most everyone else)
I beg the differ on that.
He does more with less than any coach in SEO.
To get a group of football players, none over 6 foot, to play the game almost to perfection fundamentally is unreal. I watch it year in & year out.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Trimble by at least 50. Howie the god of coaching gets more out of nothing than any coach in history. Nothing can stop the fightin Toms from Columbus

And Trimble was the 3 seed btw

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’m not sure trying to wear Fairfield out by running is the route. I’d d em up full throttle

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:08 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm
🤔
I beg the differ on that.
He does more with less than any coach in SEO.
To get a group of football players, none over 6 foot, to play the game almost to perfection fundamentally is unreal. I watch it year in & year out.
What positions do Breydan and Tyler Weber play on the football field?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

My bad, he had Tyler and Brayden playing 1 on 1 all summer & fall since all other bodies were lifting & playing football.

That is the unique situation Howie is in, he doesn't get his hands on the kids until mid to late November - and still makes winners out of em. Maddox & Stiverson have the luxury of coaching at 'basketball schools.' They play all summer, some even in the fall, they come up through the grades knowing they are at a school with basketball expectations every winter. It's the complete opposite at Trimble. They eat, drink, breath football 8 months out of the year. The only time they take a break is to play a little bit of hoops in the winter to stay in shape.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm My bad, he had Tyler and Brayden playing 1 on 1 all summer & fall since all other bodies were lifting & playing football.

That is the unique situation Howie is in, he doesn't get his hands on the kids until mid to late November - and still makes winners out of em. Maddox & Stiverson have the luxury of coaching at 'basketball schools.' They play all summer, some even in the fall, they come up through the grades knowing they are at a school with basketball expectations every winter. It's the complete opposite at Trimble. They eat, drink, breath football 8 months out of the year. The only time they take a break is to play a little bit of hoops in the winter to stay in shape.
They made them basketball schools. Howie chose Trimble and has the best athletes in the school. He does a great job, I get what you are saying but those kids are in several sports and thrive in all of them. Maddox lost an all district senior point guard.

They are all top 10 SE district coaches and hardwood legends of coaching around here.

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm My bad, he had Tyler and Brayden playing 1 on 1 all summer & fall since all other bodies were lifting & playing football.

So true....Very well said

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Post by Sports24/7 »

PS...Tyler does lift and will play alot for the Tomcats in the fall

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sports24/7 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:05 am PS...Tyler does lift and will play alot for the Tomcats in the fall
Will he try to double in XC as well? He’s talented there too. Just missed all-district and of course team Trimble XC has been a mainstay at the regionals the past decade with a trip or two to state.

I’ve been very impressed with Trimble athletics on the boys side for a good while now. Football is incredibly successful but basketball, XC, track, baseball I’ve not heard but was very good early in this spurt they were.

I remember all of these current players when they were jr high track....lord they were impressive. No, not tall but put together and very talented. Guffey/Wisor/Weber etc.

Good people too.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Respectfully disagree, Ironman92... Howie deserves to be in the same conversation and tier as Maddox and Stiverson. As 93bulldog said, he gets more out of his kids year in and year out than arguably any other coach in SEO. By the end of each season his kids are well oiled machines and are a ridiculously hard out, regardless of "basketball talent."

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:38 am Respectfully disagree, Ironman92... Howie deserves to be in the same conversation and tier as Maddox and Stiverson. As 93bulldog said, he gets more out of his kids year in and year out than arguably any other coach in SEO. By the end of each season his kids are well oiled machines and are a ridiculously hard out, regardless of "basketball talent."
I respect your thoughts.

Return to “Boys Basketball”