Div 3 district 13 player of the year...

BigBendSports2020
Waterboy

Div 3 district 13 player of the year...

Post by BigBendSports2020 »

Weston Baer from Meigs. Great player. Meigs all time leading scorer. However, I would argue he wasn’t even the best player on his team. Sophomore, Coulter Cleland impressed me more in the 3 games I watched. He can’t be stopped off the dribble, shoots lights out, plays great defense and his strength and jumping ability made him the first or 2nd best rebounder on the team as the point guard. He created a lot of open looks for all his teammates and was very unselfish (including for Weston). Plus when the game was on the line he could take over a game and score 28 (did it twice).

This isn’t an insult on Weston. This is a total compliment to Coulter.

Based on box scores in the paper I’d be shocked if Weston out scored him this year. Especially the 2nd part of the season (and not just when Weston is a hurt and sick).

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Div 3 district 13 player of the year...

Post by Ironman92 »

BigBendSports2020 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 pm Weston Baer from Meigs. Great player. Meigs all time leading scorer. However, I would argue he wasn’t even the best player on his team. Sophomore, Coulter Cleland impressed me more in the 3 games I watched. He can’t be stopped off the dribble, shoots lights out, plays great defense and his strength and jumping ability made him the first or 2nd best rebounder on the team as the point guard. He created a lot of open looks for all his teammates and was very unselfish (including for Weston). Plus when the game was on the line he could take over a game and score 28 (did it twice).

Based on box scores in the paper I’d be shocked if Weston out scored him this year. Especially the 2nd part of the season (and not just when Weston is a hurt and sick).
Both are excellent. I only watched the one game vs Jackson. I can see Cleland being the better all-around player. Be interested if Cleland did outscore him.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:25 pm
BigBendSports2020 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 pm Weston Baer from Meigs. Great player. Meigs all time leading scorer. However, I would argue he wasn’t even the best player on his team. Sophomore, Coulter Cleland impressed me more in the 3 games I watched. He can’t be stopped off the dribble, shoots lights out, plays great defense and his strength and jumping ability made him the first or 2nd best rebounder on the team as the point guard. He created a lot of open looks for all his teammates and was very unselfish (including for Weston). Plus when the game was on the line he could take over a game and score 28 (did it twice).

Both are excellent. I only watched the one game vs Jackson. I can see Cleland being the better all-around player. Be interested if Cleland did outscore him.
Ones a Senior and ones a Sophomore.....sometimes it comes down to that. Cleland is really good and will only get better.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

AP had Baer at 19.1 ppg and Cleland 16.4 ppg

BigBendSports2020
Waterboy

Post by BigBendSports2020 »

I wonder when that was released. I don’t think Bear had over 10
the last few games and even zero at Marietta.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

BigBendSports2020 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:22 pm I wonder when that was released. I don’t think Bear had over 10
They met on the 27th, so every game was completed

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Points per game that were listed in the OWBSA lists were from the regular season, no tournament games figured in

Bosshog
Waterboy

Post by Bosshog »

BigBendSports2020 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:22 pm I wonder when that was released. I don’t think Bear had over 10
According to paper Baer did not even play at Marietta (injury). Cleland came on at the end of the second half of season when he stepped up when Baer was hurt. Cleland is a great player and will continue to get better.

Had Baer been healthy and playing his normal game and Cleland been on- they would have made it to districts- they both struggled against Wheelersburg.

Return to “Boys Basketball”