Biggest Upsets in Convo History

E High
All State

Re: Biggest Upsets in Convo History

Post by E High »

Black Panther wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:15 pm
trojandave wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:10 pm Portsmouth ended up on the wrong end of the 1984 Class AA district championship vs. Wheelersburg. WHS came into the game 0-2 vs. the Trojans in tournament play, having lost in the 1978 sectionals and the 1983 district championship. PHS came into the 1984 game with a 20-3 record, and a 7-0 record vs. Columbus schools. Portsmouth was led by 6-7 SR Darrin Miller (20.4 PPG), and Kyle Taylor (14 PPG). Taylor would go on to play at Marshall and Xavier. The Pirates' top player was 6-2 SR Todd Staker, who went on to play for Miami of Ohio. Craig Brown was also a prominent player for WHS.

The Trojans led by 9 at the half, but Staker and Brown caught fire from the perimeter in the 2nd half, and the game went into OT. The Pirates prevailed 73-66, and they went on to advance to the state championship game, where a furious 4th quarter rally fell short in a 77-71 loss to Akron St.Vincent St.Mary coached by Joe Suboticki. Suboticki 4 years later would become Portsmouth's head coach and lead the Trojans to the 1988 Division 2 state title.
I was at that game.Correct me if i'm wrong.Didn't the late Brad Walke have a big game too? Or was that the previous Burg /Portsmouth match up at Athens? Some might say the biggest upset at the Convo might not have been a HS game.What about Ohio beating legendary Coach Ray Meyer's DePaul Blue Demons on Feb. 14,1983.Our HS coach took us to see it.Yes, Ohio made the NCAA's that year, but still a big upset.And I notice you brought up the 1978 Sectional final vs Wheelersburg.For all those that say Sectional Championships and cutting down the nets don't mean anything, that game sure proves that wrong.The Burg just as easily could have won it all if they would have beaten Portsmouth that day.Cut down the nets at every stage of the tournament.They really do mean something.
Cutting down the nets meant something then. Winning a one or 2 game sectional means little to some schools. State hasn’t recognized Sectionals for Years.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

packers80 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:21 pm
Black Panther wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:15 pm
trojandave wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:10 pm Portsmouth ended up on the wrong end of the 1984 Class AA district championship vs. Wheelersburg. WHS came into the game 0-2 vs. the Trojans in tournament play, having lost in the 1978 sectionals and the 1983 district championship. PHS came into the 1984 game with a 20-3 record, and a 7-0 record vs. Columbus schools. Portsmouth was led by 6-7 SR Darrin Miller (20.4 PPG), and Kyle Taylor (14 PPG). Taylor would go on to play at Marshall and Xavier. The Pirates' top player was 6-2 SR Todd Staker, who went on to play for Miami of Ohio. Craig Brown was also a prominent player for WHS.

The Trojans led by 9 at the half, but Staker and Brown caught fire from the perimeter in the 2nd half, and the game went into OT. The Pirates prevailed 73-66, and they went on to advance to the state championship game, where a furious 4th quarter rally fell short in a 77-71 loss to Akron St.Vincent St.Mary coached by Joe Suboticki. Suboticki 4 years later would become Portsmouth's head coach and lead the Trojans to the 1988 Division 2 state title.
I was at that game.Correct me if i'm wrong.Didn't the late Brad Walke have a big game too? Or was that the previous Burg /Portsmouth match up at Athens? Some might say the biggest upset at the Convo might not have been a HS game.What about Ohio beating legendary Coach Ray Meyer's DePaul Blue Demons on Feb. 14,1983.Our HS coach took us to see it.Yes, Ohio made the NCAA's that year, but still a big upset.And I notice you brought up the 1978 Sectional final vs Wheelersburg.For all those that say Sectional Championships and cutting down the nets don't mean anything, that game sure proves that wrong.The Burg just as easily could have won it all if they would have beaten Portsmouth that day.Cut down the nets at every stage of the tournament.They really do mean something.
Ohio coached by Danny nee and scioto county's own rick scarberry was on the team. Robert Tatum tore DePaul up that day.
I was @ the DePaul upset also. I also attended a game in Dec. 71 when OU upset #4 Ohio State with Luke Witte & Allan Hornyak 79-68 and the very next game beat #12 Indiana 79-70, both @ the convo. :D

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:58 pm 2017 D3 District Finals

Southeastern 35
#5 Oak Hill 31

Southeastern entered the tournament at 5-17. They knocked off Zane Trace on a shot at the buzzer by senior Aaron Benson. Benson and fellow senior Zach Bodary combined for 38 points as they beat 1 seed (and defending Regional Champion) Lynchburg Clay in the Sectional Final. Then, they were led by freshman PG Lane Ruby’s monster performance to beat Minford in the District Semi.

All of that to get to face Norm Persin’s loaded 23-1 Oak Hill Oaks. 7 first quarter turnovers led to being shut out heading to the 2nd stanza. They would battle all the way back to finally take the lead with 1:50 to play. Junior Rex Hartman then went 3-4 from the line to finish off the epic upset.
When they forced Oak Hill out of the zone it was a pretty fun game.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

Zane Trace lost to Waverly in 2000 or 01. ZT was 20-2 and Waverly was around .500. Last second shot in OT to win it.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Seopnation wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:57 am Zane Trace lost to Waverly in 2000 or 01. ZT was 20-2 and Waverly was around .500. Last second shot in OT to win it.
Waverly was 13-9, but ZT missed 2 FTs with less than a second left in regulation that would’ve won it. Was a huge upset record wise, but right before the tournament, they played to a 59-54 final

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

An old school hs upset at the Convo would have been Waverly over Columbus Walnut Ridge in the 1970 AA Regionals. Ridge featured two players who went on to solid careers at UNC, Ed Stahl and Brad Hoffman. Hawhee's Tigers were led by the guard tandem of Denny Thompson and Phil Miller. If my memory is correct Miller hit the winning shot in a 58-56 victory. The Tigers went on to beat Canton Lehman 58-55 setting the stage for Waverly's only state semi-final appearance against Dayton Chaminade, losing 73-55.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Omega wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:38 pm An old school hs upset at the Convo would have been Waverly over Columbus Walnut Ridge in the 1970 AA Regionals. Ridge featured two players who went on to solid careers at UNC, Ed Stahl and Brad Hoffman. Hawhee's Tigers were led by the guard tandem of Denny Thompson and Phil Miller. If my memory is correct Miller hit the winning shot in a 58-56 victory. The Tigers went on to beat Canton Lehman 58-55 setting the stage for Waverly's only state semi-final appearance against Dayton Chaminade, losing 73-55.
Walnut Ridge won the "AAA" title the next year in 71'. Ed was the Ohio POY that season as they went 26-0. Sadly, he was killed in a vehicle accident on Rt. 23 north of Columbus back in 2017 @ 64 years old.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

Return to “Boys Basketball”