OHSAA Tourney and COVID-19

Pol pot
SE

Re: OHSAA Tourney and COVID-19

Post by Pol pot »

I want to stress that this has been a decision from the Governor of Ohio, NOT the OHSAA. This has been forced on the MAC Tournament, UD, Cincinnati, every indoor event in OHIO. This is not something the OHSAA has done or created. That being said, going to have to make the best of it. I will get word out tomorrow on streaming of the games.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:55 pm I want to stress that this has been a decision from the Governor of Ohio, NOT the OHSAA. This has been forced on the MAC Tournament, UD, Cincinnati, every indoor event in OHIO. This is not something the OHSAA has done or created. That being said, going to have to make the best of it. I will get word out tomorrow on streaming of the games.
You’re the man!

I’ve tried to stress how much the OHSAA has had their hands tied. They are doing what they can in this situation.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:55 pm I want to stress that this has been a decision from the Governor of Ohio, NOT the OHSAA. This has been forced on the MAC Tournament, UD, Cincinnati, every indoor event in OHIO. This is not something the OHSAA has done or created. That being said, going to have to make the best of it. I will get word out tomorrow on streaming of the games.
Did the governor force the hand of the Athens administration to not allow its spring athletes to even practice outdoors until March 30th? Just curious. lol

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:01 pm
Did the governor force the hand of the Athens administration to not allow its spring athletes to even practice outdoors until March 30th? Just curious. lol
Nope, totally local decision and reaction. And honestly, I’d appreciate no jokes, no one is taking this lightly and is working really really hard above and beyond to do the best they can with what they are allowed to do.

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

I don't believe the Governors decision is mandatory. The blue jackets as of now are still playing a home game Thursday. Average attendance is 16,000. OHSAA needs to try to work out a solution. Maybe clear arena between games if they don't want too many in there at once.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Get three cases, shutdown the whole state

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:13 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:01 pm
Nope, totally local decision and reaction. And honestly, I’d appreciate no jokes, no one is taking this lightly and is working really really hard above and beyond to do the best they can with what they are allowed to do.
I agree, it's not a joke. It's a shame though a decision would be made about outdoor practices when the OHSAA made no such mandate.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Better to be proactive than reactive. This is not a decision they made lightly and not an easy decision. So much still unknown about this virus. As much as I hate that there will be only a few fans at each game, I support the decision.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

This is absolutely ridiculous..induced panic and its working. Frustrated to say the least. Wow..

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Only recommended by that governor. Not mandatory.
What a soft world we live in.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Bozo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 am Only recommended by that governor. Not mandatory.
What a soft world we live in.
Correct, it was not and is not mandatory. He recommended it and OHSAA decided to go with the recommendation.
Appreciate you Pol Pot and all that you do..... but the Blue Jackets will be continuing on with their home games as regularly scheduled. Therefore it is not forced nor has it applied to every indoor event in Ohio.

End of the day it's the kids I feel for as well as communities. There's so many distant family members who have supported their relative every step along the way that suddenly will be left out. There's cheer blocks that's been there all year that no longer can go cheer on their classmates. There's elderly community members that's watched teams for decades come through and have never seen their team play at the state or even regional level..... that now can't go.. It's sad. Very, very sad.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

My problem with this is, why are we so focused on limiting attendance to sporting events? If we do that, then we need to limit customers at walmart, restaurants, church, concerts etc. I'm disappointed in the ohsaa for going along with this recommendation. They know how big this is for the kids, families and communities. These kids deserve better. Take proper precautions and let's go on with our lives. This is total nonsense.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Can you imagine how empty the arena is going to seem now.

Are they still going to let all the ADs, coaches, and other admin go who treat this as a vacation?

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

What a joke---might as well close all business-schools--government--cause we all are going to get it!!!!!!!!!!! What a soft world we live in. Wake up people!!!!!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

With no cheerleaders, no cheerblock, and only a few fans, the convo is going to be a quiet place tonight.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

So sad. A once in a lifetime opportunity and this is what they get.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Pitiful decision by the powers at me. As someone said earlier, restaurants, malls, airports.......all still packed with people.

Very sad for the players and schools that are still in the OHSAA tournament.

Just one question- dont all of the players handle the same basketball? lol. Seems counter productive to have players leave their schools and houses that are full of people, who may be sick, to go onto the court with little fans and sweat all over each other and play with the same ball everyone is touching.

But lets keep those fans who were just in contact with the players all week out of the stands!

Makes no sense. Either cancel it or run it as usual. The media needs to stop placing people in panic mode.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Going to malls - OK
Going to restaurants - OK
Going to public schools - OK
Going to factories to work - OK
Going to basically any job - OK

Going to root on your community at a sporting event - NOT OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just making sure I'm understanding all of this correctly.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Cowboy22
Riding the Bench

Post by Cowboy22 »

I take it this goes into effect immediately and tonight's games at the convocation Center will be family members only. I guess it don't affect harvest prep any as the only fans that watch them play are family members.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Cowboy22 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:18 am I take it this goes into effect immediately and tonight's games at the convocation Center will be family members only. I guess it don't affect harvest prep any as the only fans that watch them play are family members.
You seem bothered by this!

Return to “Boys Basketball”