Athens All Time Basketball

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens All Time Basketball

Post by Raider6309 »

And Ohsaa uses Nelsonville as the stats. Good luck telling NY people that only Nelsonville players count and York doesn’t count

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Roger Bentley has to be on the 1,000 point list.

1967 first team all state class A
Roger Bentley, Chauncey-Dover junior, 30.9

My compromise was to just have a 1,000 point list but no totals since Bentley actually has the most

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:05 pm And Ohsaa uses Nelsonville as the stats. Good luck telling NY people that only Nelsonville players count and York doesn’t count
Oh hell no, that's just not going to work. Give me a number I can call to get those people straightened out. People have been fired from the radio and SEOPS posters banned for not including "York" in our name. This is ridiculous and needs to be rectified. Yeah, this has to be fixed.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 pm Roger Bentley has to be on the 1,000 point list.

1967 first team all state class A
Roger Bentley, Chauncey-Dover junior, 30.9

My compromise was to just have a 1,000 point list but no totals since Bentley actually has the most
He only played for Athens 1 year. lol

He can be on Chauncey's 1,000 point scorers list.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

So why does Athens green and gold list Chauncey and The Plains under Athens for all those state accomplishments? Those accomplishments are listed as Athens green and gold won the regional and won state. Just by that the school views all three schools under The Plains Athens or they wouldn’t be up in plain sight

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I have no idea what you're talking about? Lol

Athens is Athens no matter what Raider. From the early 1900's until now.

The Plains was a completely seperate school in a completely seperate league. Same goes for Chauncey.

Athens was, for the most part, always SEOAL until its departure to the TVC in 2008.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider, what you are failing to realize or recognize is that Athens, Chauncey, The Plains WAS NOT a consolidation. I use to work with Tom Metters, spent countless hours with him in the office at The Messenger and heard the story 1000 times. Athens basically inherited or incorporated kids from the Chauncey and Plains school districts. Call it a 'hostile take over' if you will. You are welcome to call Bob Finnerty on this subject as well. Athens basically just became a bigger school overnight, but still the same school.

All records and athletic accomplishments by both teams and athletes from The Plains and Chauncey stopped the day both those schools closed. Athens' did not, they continue today. That's why according to the OHSAA and the southeast district Athens is "officially" (91-93) all time in sectional & district basketball tournaments, a .489 win percentage. We have won 20 sectional titles dating back to our first in 1955, which was before incorporating Plains and Chauncey students. Our first district runner up trophy was earned in 1937 and our last was 1993. Now, there is nothing said anywhere about The Plains or Chauncey because those are two separate schools with their own tournament records and state playoff appearances. You'd probably have to research old newspaper archives to find their information, unless they hold a state record like Hubie.

Return to “Boys Basketball”