It's official ... Basketball :30 is over ... OHSAA cancels the rest of the Winter Sports post season 3/26/20 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

It's official ... Basketball :30 is over ... OHSAA cancels the rest of the Winter Sports post season 3/26/20 ...

Post by pfloyd »

The end of Basketball :30 at the Convo, the end of the Winter sports post season ...https://ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/o ... LRI1QgCrtI ... sigh - although being a teacher and knowing what we are doing as teachers - pushing out online lessons, assignments etc. the ramping up of the food distribution from the schools etc. ... the cancellation of the Winter sports post season was NOT a surprise ... the next domino to fall I'm afraid will be the Spring seasons as well - with THIS academic school year imo to be one of the next dominoes - as the words used in today's Gov Dewine updates pointing out the peak surge expected May 1'ish ... I can see the powers that be deciding not to bring back together the 100K's of Ohio students to thwart the "stay at home" efforts taken from March 13th - May 1'ish ... difficult times with more difficult decisions to be made in the days/weeks to come ...

... please stay healthy, stay safe, follow the "stay at home" guidelines - pfloyd

Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: It's official ... Basketball :30 is over ... OHSAA cancels the rest of the Winter Sports post season 3/26/20 ...

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I have a senior son that plays baseball each day it’s closer and closer to being over I think. I’m afraid graduation and proms are in jeopardy. I hope this is over soon. Basketball being cancelled stinks. I believe fairland had a team that could possibly beat harvest prep.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Miles Wood
Waterboy

Re: It's official ... Basketball :30 is over ... OHSAA cancels the rest of the Winter Sports post season 3/26/20 ...

Post by Miles Wood »

mlittle wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 pm Over the flu. Wow
this is more than just the flu.

"The Autumn Wind Is A Pirate"
baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

It's the flu X 10. It's a very contagious virus! I do believe if you are healthy, take care of yourself and immunity is good you will be fine even if you contract it. These deaths are tragic but it's really hitting hard on the unhealthy people along with the elderly. Hopefully this passes soon. People need to be smart and stay home for 7-10 days. It will get better. Also take care of yourself. Stay healthy.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 am It's the flu X 10. It's a very contagious virus! I do believe if you are healthy, take care of yourself and immunity is good you will be fine even if you contract it. These deaths are tragic but it's really hitting hard on the unhealthy people along with the elderly. Hopefully this passes soon. People need to be smart and stay home for 7-10 days. It will get better. Also take care of yourself. Stay healthy.
Why did this strain spread so far and fast where Sars and Ebola were contained for the most part?

"I have a deep affection for the University of Pittsburgh.It is my University.I am proud to be a Pitt man.”-Jock Sutherland
petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

I don't believe anything these experts say. Nothing but a overreaction by all.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

No surprise at all to me.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Miles Wood wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:04 pm
mlittle wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 pm Over the flu. Wow
this is more than just the flu.
H1N1 killed upwards of 575,000 globally in 2009. Regular flu half million a year. Corona has killed 22,000 world wide through March. It’s actually less than the flu

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

petesweaty wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:23 pm I don't believe anything these experts say. Nothing but a overreaction by all.
Some experts are already coming forward saying maybe just maybe they were a bit off on the original predictions on the death toll. This virus is already proven less deadly than swine flu and just regular influenza. If you think about it both those viruses have the same devastating affect on the elderly and those with underlying health issues. Hate to say it especially in a sports forum but this is all political

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I keep seeing the numbers updated and just don’t believe this is as bad as the swine flu in 2009 and nothing was shut down. Maybe I’m wrong but I think its a huge over-reaction. I think many of us may have had it back late December/early January and didn't know thats what it was. My wife had something last week of December first week of January that wasn’t the flu and wasn't the normal bronchitis we get every year. I got whatever she had a little bit but nearly as bad as her. Looking back we think it may have been this virus. A very large majority of those getting it just get better.
If you look at the H1N1 and normal flu season number of cases and deaths with no hysteria at all, this is over reacting. I’m not saying it isn't serious or maybe more contagious but I just don’t see the numbers. The death rate is right around 1.4% when they kept saying it was going to be much higher. As more and more tests are performed that death rate will decrease...

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

I bet it went through Southern Ohio in January. Schools closed for the flu and numerous people were sick. I would like to see the numbers in January on hospitalizations because of the flu and flu related deaths. It is the "herd" effect or "domino" effect as people just follow each other.

True, New York is pretty bad right now. I wonder if any flu went though there in January.

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

I had about 60% attendance at school in late January before the school shut down for flu.
I had about 95% attendance at school the three weeks before March 13 when the governor shut schools down.

That could tell you something. Of course, I have nothing else to do so I looked it up on my records.

Deaths in Ohio as of 3/28 (25 total)

15 deaths 80+
5 deaths 70+

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

25th Street NW wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:58 pm I had about 60% attendance at school in late January before the school shut down for flu.
I had about 95% attendance at school the three weeks before March 13 when the governor shut schools down.

That could tell you something. Of course, I have nothing else to do so I looked it up on my records.

Deaths in Ohio as of 3/28 (25 total)

15 deaths 80+
5 deaths 70+
Shouldn't the 70+ deaths be more than 80+ since everyone over 80 is also over 70? I'm assuming that the under 70 deaths were 5.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

There are a pretty good number of basketball teams that can make up some shirts that say "we would have been state champs" and send them out to people that would have been at their end of season basketball banquet! At least a dozen times as many teams whose season did not end in a loss, and most of them would have liked to have played until that happened.

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

Sorry about that. Ohio death age from the virus.

15 deaths 80+
5 deaths 70-79
5 deaths 69 below

I cannot remember exactly the youngest, but something tells me like lower 50s.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

hummm?
187,000 in Ohio filed for unemployment this week.
25 deaths because of the virus. 20 of those over 70 years old. I saw where the age range is 58-93.
I am sorry for those people and their families, but...............?

I know the deaths are going to go up, but so is the unemployment which may cause deaths also.

7,500 people die in the United States every single day.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

My grandson plays baseball at Eastern Brown and he is bummed cause it looks like that season may be in jeopardy now. It stinks.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

It certainly sucks for the winter athletes that were still in it, particularly seniors, that “one more shot at it” was taken from them. I’m also afraid that our spring sports will suffer the same fate. I am friends with the family of a senior who was looking to make his mark with a state championship in multiple events in track this spring.

As for the numbers referenced earlier....Just to clarify the stat given by @mlittle on the global death toll for H1N1, 151,700 - 575,400 people died in 2009 of H1N1 according to the CDC.

We need to stop comparing an end result number to one that is currently ongoing. Of course the numbers now don’t compare on a sheet, but you have to wait until you can compare the apples to apples numbers. If you look at trends for both at similar points, the trends on total deaths for COVID-19 are far outpacing those of H1N1. I’m not trying to be an alarmist or anything, I’m just trying to be real with comparing apples to apples. @mlittle posted 10 days ago that “Corona has killed 22,000 world wide through March”. In 10 days, that number now stands at 73,703 per Johns Hopkins University. Those are definitive attributable deaths and in the end we will never know exactly how many. We will have a range, much like the numbers referenced above for H1N1.

In the end, the common flu may kill more people this year than COVID-19. The concerns rest though in preparation. The common flu has become “normalized” and we have built our healthcare systems, resources and capacity around relatively predictable things such as the flu and other common diseases that affect/kill members of our population each year. The concerns with Coronavirus is the fact that it may not be something that a healthcare system (local, state, or national) is prepared to handle when it comes to resources or capacity. This disease has shown how vulnerable many healthcare systems are to something of this magnitude. Again, it’s the reality that we face with a disease that spreads so easily, has a wide incubation period, and has the ability to overwhelm resources as we can see.

For the record, I’m not trying to make a political statement with what I stated above. I’m just trying to give the view of someone who works in healthcare data analytics and whose wife is a nurse.

Return to “Boys Basketball”