What say you ?!!! FAC? OVC? MSL? MVL? SHAC D1? SHAC D2? SOC1? SOC2? SVC? TVC-Ohio? TVC-Hocking?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

What say you ?!!! FAC? OVC? MSL? MVL? SHAC D1? SHAC D2? SOC1? SOC2? SVC? TVC-Ohio? TVC-Hocking?

Post by pfloyd »

I've started gathering my napkin stat sheets, notes, game rundowns from last season ... I've started putting together my Pre-season Elite 8 rankings. I have a "good" idea of where I have the teams in the SEO District for the rankings BUT I always like to get the input from those of you who follow YOUR specific league in SEO ... I'm going to list the teams by league, I would like to read YOUR thoughts as to where the teams in each stand in relation to other teams IN their league ( this is a great first step in THEN being able to compare the best in each league vs the BEST in the other leagues in the South East District :

(the teams are listed in the order of last year's finish within their respective leagues - I have NOT ranked them within their league on here yet)

FAC

Chillicothe
Jackson
Miami Trace
Hillsboro
McClain
Washington CH

OVC

Fairland
Chesapeake
South Point
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
Coal Grove
Rock Hill

MSL

Fairfield Union
Logan Elm
Circleville

MVL

Sheridan
Crooksville
New Lexington

SHAC D1

Eastern Brown
North Adams
West Union
Lynchburg Clay

SHAC D2

Peebles
Fairfield Leesburg
Whiteoak
Manchester

SOC 1

New Boston
Ironton St Joseph
Symmes Valley
Western Pike
Green
Portsmouth Clay
Notre Dame
Portsmouth East

SOC 2

Wheelersburg
Waverly
Oak Hill
Minford
South Webster
Lucasville Valley
Portsmouth West
Eastern Pike
Northwest

SVC

Zane Trace
Unioto
Adena
Piketon
Westfall
Paint Valley
Southeastern
Huntington

TVC Hocking

Federal Hocking
Trimble
Belpre
Southern
South Gallia
Reedsville Eastern
Waterford
Miller

TVC Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Meigs
Vinton County
Wellston
Nelsonville York
River Valley

... I don't think there are any NEW additions to leagues this season, I believe Wahama is no longer in the TVC starting this coming season ... have heard a few "r-word" scenarios floating about already for the upcoming season ... as well as the coaching changes made in the off season at a number of schools in the SEO district ...

... looking forward to reading what the folks have to say as their opinions as to how the teams will stack up within their leagues this coming 2020-21 season ...

JC2124
Varsity

Re: What say you ?!!! FAC? OVC? MSL? MVL? SHAC D1? SHAC D2? SOC1? SOC2? SVC? TVC-Ohio? TVC-Hocking?

Post by JC2124 »

Pfloyd, I hope you’re doing well my friend!

I will give my thoughts on the TVC Hocking. I think it will come down to FH and Trimble again. Belpre and South Gallia will both be solid ball clubs as well. The Lancers are going to be loaded. They should start 5 seniors but will go 10 deep with a couple new faces this year. Overall I think they will be better but have to replace a key piece in Brad Russell. I look for Elijah Lucas to have a big year. He is bigger and stronger so look for big things from him in the post.
Trimble will still be tough as nails as all Howie teams are. They return their stud in Blake Guffey but have to replace the leadership of Kittle, scoring of Weber and the toughness of Koons. I though Tyler Weber was their most improved player from last year. He is gonna be a good one. Depth will be their issue I believe.
Belpre has Conner Baker, Evan Wells and Mikiah Merritt all returning. They could be a scary team if firing on all cylinders.

I don’t have the names for the South Gallia kids but they are long and athletic. They had a young squad last year so I think they will be much improved.
Miller has also left the Hocking starting this year. They are in the Mid State League now.

E High
All State

Re: What say you ?!!! FAC? OVC? MSL? MVL? SHAC D1? SHAC D2? SOC1? SOC2? SVC? TVC-Ohio? TVC-Hocking?

Post by E High »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 pm I've started gathering my napkin stat sheets, notes, game rundowns from last season ... I've started putting together my Pre-season Elite 8 rankings. I have a "good" idea of where I have the teams in the SEO District for the rankings BUT I always like to get the input from those of you who follow YOUR specific league in SEO ... I'm going to list the teams by league, I would like to read YOUR thoughts as to where the teams in each stand in relation to other teams IN their league ( this is a great first step in THEN being able to compare the best in each league vs the BEST in the other leagues in the South East District :

(the teams are listed in the order of last year's finish within their respective leagues - I have NOT ranked them within their league on here yet)

FAC

Chillicothe
Jackson
Miami Trace
Hillsboro
McClain
Washington CH

OVC

Fairland
Chesapeake
South Point
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
Coal Grove
Rock Hill

MSL

Fairfield Union
Logan Elm
Circleville

MVL

Sheridan
Crooksville
New Lexington

SHAC D1

Eastern Brown
North Adams
West Union
Lynchburg Clay

SHAC D2

Peebles
Fairfield Leesburg
Whiteoak
Manchester

SOC 1

New Boston
Ironton St Joseph
Symmes Valley
Western Pike
Green
Portsmouth Clay
Notre Dame
Portsmouth East

SOC 2

Wheelersburg
Waverly
Oak Hill
Minford
South Webster
Lucasville Valley
Portsmouth West
Eastern Pike
Northwest

SVC

Zane Trace
Unioto
Adena
Piketon
Westfall
Paint Valley
Southeastern
Huntington

TVC Hocking

Federal Hocking
Trimble
Belpre
Southern
South Gallia
Reedsville Eastern
Waterford
Miller

TVC Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Meigs
Vinton County
Wellston
Nelsonville York
River Valley

... I don't think there are any NEW additions to leagues this season, I believe Wahama is no longer in the TVC starting this coming season ... have heard a few "r-word" scenarios floating about already for the upcoming season ... as well as the coaching changes made in the off season at a number of schools in the SEO district ...

... looking forward to reading what the folks have to say as their opinions as to how the teams will stack up within their leagues this coming 2020-21 season ...
MVL will have Tri Valley J Gleen , Meadowbrook easily in Top 3-4.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I would move Minford to 3rd in the SOCII

Oak Hill is gonna struggle and I think South Webster is too high

Move West to 4th and Valley to 5th

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SOC 2:
1. Wheelersburg
2. Waverly
3. Valley
4. Minford
5. Eastern
6. South Webster
7. West
8. Oak Hill
9. Northwest

SOC 1:
1. New Boston
2. St. Joe
3. Symmes Valley
4. Western
5. Notre Dame
6. Green
7. Clay
8. East

Probably still way-too-early and subject to change as free agency rumblings/rumors have been delayed due to COVID19.*

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The OVC forecast for 2020-21, with each school's conference record the last 5 years:

1.Fairland (68-2)....the Dragons once again are the prohibitive favorite, with only 1 senior on their roster. FHS has won the OVC 5 years in a row, and with only 2 losses in those 5 years (GAHS and SP), it will be a major upset if they don't win the title.
2. Chesapeake (33-37).....the Panthers lose Austin Jackson and Josh Cox, but among the returnees are Levi Blankenship and 6-4 Ethan Taylor. The Peake's only 2 losses in 2019-2020 were to Fairland.
3. South Point (33-37)......the Pointers have a lot coming back, including Austin Webb, Nakyan Turner, and Darryl Taylor. Could challenge Chesapeake for the 2nd spot, but it will be a bigger challenge to threaten Fairland.
4. Portsmouth (36-34)......the Trojans have 4 starters coming back and athletically can match anyone in the conference. Being able to score will be the issue as to whether PHS can move up in the standings.
5. Gallia Academy (40-30).....the Blue Devils should have the most size in the conference, with 6-5 Isaac Clary and 6-5 Loveday. Can GAHS get adequate guard play after losing one of the OVC's best in Logan Bluoir?
6. Ironton (39-31)......the Fighting Tigers lose all 5 starters, but do have 6th man Trent Hacker returning. The JV team was respectable, but it looks like a rebuilding year at IHS.
7. Coal Grove (30-40)......the Hornets lost 2 key players, Corey Borders and Evan Gannon. They look to be offensively challenged, but Coach Vanderhoof always has CG playing hard. Promising incoming freshmen class (8th grade OVC champs) probably a year or two away from making a varsity impact.
8. Rock Hill (1-69).....It has been a hard 5 years for the Redmen, but they do have some talent coming back, including Logan Hankins. Scoring always seems to be a challenge for RH, but with several teams rebuilding, this could be the year they move up.

Overall, I don't think the conference will be as strong as last year, as several teams are in the rebuilding mode, but it wouldn't surprise me to see another OVC school playing in the regionals as did Fairland last season.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

TVC Ohio Athens
TVC Hocking Trimble

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:06 pm SOC 2:
1. Wheelersburg
2. Waverly
3. Valley
4. Minford
5. Eastern
6. South Webster
7. West
8. Oak Hill
9. Northwest

SOC 1:
1. New Boston
2. St. Joe
3. Symmes Valley
4. Western
5. Notre Dame
6. Green
7. Clay
8. East

Probably still way-too-early and subject to change as free agency rumblings/rumors have been delayed due to COVID19.*
I don't think Northwest will finish last, if they stay healthy. Might just surprise a few people.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Westfan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:22 am I would move Minford to 3rd in the SOCII

Oak Hill is gonna struggle and I think South Webster is too high

Move West to 4th and Valley to 5th
... none of the teams I listed in the leagues are ranked at this time - I just put them down in the order they finished last season in their respective leagues ...

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:26 pm
1. Wheelersburg
2. Waverly
3. Valley
4. Minford
5. Eastern
6. South Webster
7. West
8. Oak Hill
9. Northwest

SOC 1:
1. New Boston
2. St. Joe
3. Symmes Valley
4. Western
5. Notre Dame
6. Green
7. Clay
8. East

I don't think Northwest will finish last, if they stay healthy. Might just surprise a few people.
Bigblue: honestly, my 5-9 predictions for SOC II might as well be from a dartboard. I put Northwest there based on assumption that a lot of freshmen playing varsity basketball usually means a rough year. But I guarantee Mohawks will be moving up these rankings/predictions next few years*

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:28 am
BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:26 pm
1. Wheelersburg
2. Waverly
3. Valley
4. Minford
5. Eastern
6. South Webster
7. West
8. Oak Hill
9. Northwest

SOC 1:
1. New Boston
2. St. Joe
3. Symmes Valley
4. Western
5. Notre Dame
6. Green
7. Clay
8. East

Bigblue: honestly, my 5-9 predictions for SOC II might as well be from a dartboard. I put Northwest there based on assumption that a lot of freshmen playing varsity basketball usually means a rough year. But I guarantee Mohawks will be moving up these rankings/predictions next few years*
Very understandable. Most people will put them last.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Just a huge difference in Varsity basketball and middle school. The game doesn't look physical until you are out there. Also never forget that alot of middle school success is based on early maturity. Alot of the concepts that allow teams to be successful (trapping and basically chasing the basketball) go out the door at the next level. Not saying the Valley's and Northwest's won't be successful in time, but expecting those players to make the jump against juniors and seniors isn’t fair and probably unrealistic

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm hoping for basketball, but not expecting it. I just think there are too many issues with Covid-19 which I don't think will be resolved anytime soon.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Westfan wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 am Just a huge difference in Varsity basketball and middle school. The game doesn't look physical until you are out there. Also never forget that alot of middle school success is based on early maturity. Alot of the concepts that allow teams to be successful (trapping and basically chasing the basketball) go out the door at the next level. Not saying the Valley's and Northwest's won't be successful in time, but expecting those players to make the jump against juniors and seniors isn’t fair and probably unrealistic
Not expecting much out of the freshman. There is probably 3 of them that will play some varsity. They will get to play alot of basketball this year. With kids getting to work with someone who just finished a successful college career is huge. I think you'll see a big difference.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

MSL

1. Logan Elm
2. Fairfield Union
3. Bloom Carroll
4. Liberty Union
5. Teays Valley
6. Hamilton
7. Circleville
8. Amanda

LE has the slight edge because of depth but anything could happen among the top 3

MoCoSportsGuy
JV Team

Post by MoCoSportsGuy »

Unread post by E High » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 am

pfloyd wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 pm
I've started gathering my napkin stat sheets, notes, game rundowns from last season ... I've started putting together my Pre-season Elite 8 rankings. I have a "good" idea of where I have the teams in the SEO District for the rankings BUT I always like to get the input from those of you who follow YOUR specific league in SEO ... I'm going to list the teams by league, I would like to read YOUR thoughts as to where the teams in each stand in relation to other teams IN their league ( this is a great first step in THEN being able to compare the best in each league vs the BEST in the other leagues in the South East District :

FAC

Chillicothe
Jackson
Miami Trace
Hillsboro
McClain
Washington CH

OVC

Fairland
Chesapeake
South Point
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
Coal Grove
Rock Hill

MSL

Fairfield Union
Logan Elm
Circleville

MVL

Sheridan
Crooksville
New Lexington

SHAC D1

Eastern Brown
North Adams
West Union
Lynchburg Clay

SHAC D2

Peebles
Fairfield Leesburg
Whiteoak
Manchester

SOC 1

New Boston
Ironton St Joseph
Symmes Valley
Western Pike
Green
Portsmouth Clay
Notre Dame
Portsmouth East

SOC 2

Wheelersburg
Waverly
Oak Hill
Minford
South Webster
Lucasville Valley
Portsmouth West
Eastern Pike
Northwest

SVC

Zane Trace
Unioto
Adena
Piketon
Westfall
Paint Valley
Southeastern
Huntington

TVC Hocking

Federal Hocking
Trimble
Belpre
Southern
South Gallia
Reedsville Eastern
Waterford
Miller

TVC Ohio

Alexander
Athens
Meigs
Vinton County
Wellston
Nelsonville York
River Valley

MVL will have Tri Valley J Gleen , Meadowbrook easily in Top 3-4.

A reminder that the MVL expansion begins this year. The League is divided into the "BIg School Division" and the "Small School Division." (Yes, that is what the league named the divisions). Large School: Sheridan, Tri-Valley, John Glenn, Philo, Maysville and RIver View. Small School: Morgan, New Lexington, Crooksville, West Muskingum, Coshocton, and Meadowbrook.

There will be league champions for each division. There will be a 16 game league schedule. Each team has a home and away game with teams within their division and have a crossover game with each team in the other division.

My expectation is Morgan and Meadowbrook will battle in the small school and Sheridan, TV and JG in the large school.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Not sure why Riverview is in big school division, even though by size, that’s where they should be. They’ve be really bad in football and basketball for most of 10 years

MoCoSportsGuy
JV Team

Post by MoCoSportsGuy »

Unread post by E High » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Not sure why Riverview is in big school division, even though by size, that’s where they should be. They’ve be really bad in football and basketball for most of 10 years
The current MVL set-up was based on the 2018 enrollment numbers (boys and girls combined). The 2022 enrollment numbers will determine what the divisions will look like from 2024-2028.

Return to “Boys Basketball”