JV & Freshman Basketball

se-alum
All Conference

Re: JV & Freshman Basketball

Post by se-alum »

transplant wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:41 am Playing 1 quarter of jv and then starting varsity is development? If they are good enough to start varsity, no sense in messing with playing 1 quarter of JV. Players develop in the off season.
That extra quarter adds up to quite a few extra games of experience over the course of a season. You get 5 quarters(now 6), why not use them as much as possible? SE was a very young team last year that wasn't in the league race.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

se-alum wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:17 am
transplant wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:41 am Playing 1 quarter of jv and then starting varsity is development? If they are good enough to start varsity, no sense in messing with playing 1 quarter of JV. Players develop in the off season.
That extra quarter adds up to quite a few extra games of experience over the course of a season. You get 5 quarters(now 6), why not use them as much as possible? SE was a very young team last year that wasn't in the league race.
And it wasn’t like Southeastern was playing those starters in the 4th quarter, they would play the 1st Q, then go get ready for the varsity game. Great way to get experience, especially if they weren’t going to be in the league race on varsity.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

i dont think one 6 minute jv quater against jv competition a night is really gonna give you great experiece. But thats just me, not here to argue about it. Maybe SE is just gonna be trend setters with this, maybe all the good programs around will pick up on this and start playing their starters 2 quarters of jv this year. Again, just my view on it, not saying its right or wrong. Do most teams have 3 fulls teams now days? Or is it more just jv/varsity. Seems like most teams have low numbers and cant field a freshman team as well?

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

transplant wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:06 am i dont think one 6 minute jv quater against jv competition a night is really gonna give you great experiece. But thats just me, not here to argue about it. Maybe SE is just gonna be trend setters with this, maybe all the good programs around will pick up on this and start playing their starters 2 quarters of jv this year. Again, just my view on it, not saying its right or wrong. Do most teams have 3 fulls teams now days? Or is it more just jv/varsity. Seems like most teams have low numbers and cant field a freshman team as well?
I fall on the side that more reps is always a good thing, especially for young players. Don't see many Freshman teams in the SVC these days. I think a big part of that is specialization. A lot of kids would rather train in their best sport than play on a Freshman team.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

se-alum wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:22 pm
transplant wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:06 am i dont think one 6 minute jv quater against jv competition a night is really gonna give you great experiece. But thats just me, not here to argue about it. Maybe SE is just gonna be trend setters with this, maybe all the good programs around will pick up on this and start playing their starters 2 quarters of jv this year. Again, just my view on it, not saying its right or wrong. Do most teams have 3 fulls teams now days? Or is it more just jv/varsity. Seems like most teams have low numbers and cant field a freshman team as well?
I fall on the side that more reps is always a good thing, especially for young players. Don't see many Freshman teams in the SVC these days. I think a big part of that is specialization. A lot of kids would rather train in their best sport than play on a Freshman team.
i respect that. yeah, not too many down here in the SOC either. A few schools still have them, but not too many i dont think.

Return to “Boys Basketball”