Will The Governor Put A Hold On Winter Sports?

spierce
Waterboy

Re: Will The Governor Put A Hold On Winter Sports?

Post by spierce »

If the season doesn't start on time there won't be one. Biden's chief of staff has said a 6 week national lockdown is coming. No way the OHSAA starts a season in January if the know a six week lockdown is imminent

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I say all sports moving forward into 2021 until fall of 2021 will be affected again this first half of year. no way around it until vaccine. I say all sports will be shut down and schools until no earlier than May at earliest

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Disappear moron.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bozo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:12 pm Disappear moron.
Some folks are all doom and gloom. And if they are going to be miserable, then they are sure going to try and make everybody else as miserable as them.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Politicians scrambling to do something, anything, to make it look like they are "handling" the event correctly.

Creation of arbitrary, capricious, and artificial, rules are currently a top priority. No I do not relish the position that they are in, but analytics and critical analysis of data does not appear to be a strong suit of the current Governor.

He enjoyed the positive press coverage of being "first" early this year, look for him to be "first" again next week with some of his announcements. Expect the worse and hope for the best is all we really have left here.

The impact to all of those currently not employed by local-state-federal government agencies is who I really worry about should we get to the point of implementing draconian measures while we wait on a vaccine for a virus that has a 99+% survival rate.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:52 am Politicians scrambling to do something, anything, to make it look like they are "handling" the event correctly.

Creation of arbitrary, capricious, and artificial, rules are currently a top priority. No I do not relish the position that they are in, but analytics and critical analysis of data does not appear to be a strong suit of the current Governor.

He enjoyed the positive press coverage of being "first" early this year, look for him to be "first" again next week with some of his announcements. Expect the worse and hope for the best is all we really have left here.

The impact to all of those currently not employed by local-state-federal government agencies is who I really worry about should we get to the point of implementing draconian measures while we wait on a vaccine for a virus that has a 99+% survival rate.
Spot on

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Prime Time wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:48 pm I say all sports moving forward into 2021 until fall of 2021 will be affected again this first half of year. no way around it until vaccine. I say all sports will be shut down and schools until no earlier than May at earliest
And you said there was zero chance high school football was played.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Bozo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:13 pm No, just open everything.
That is how you get HERD IMMUNITY. Not hiding from it.
99.99% survival rate.
No, it isn’t.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It seems greatly unlikely winter sports will be cancelled statewide, but A.D.’s who know better aren’t counting their chickens before they hatch. Any cancellations would likely come down on the school district level (whether by Board of Education vote or bowing to the county health department’s recommendations.)

In theory, you could do winter sports just fine with the limited indoor attendance numbers and mask requirements as mandated by the Ohio Department of Health for the fall sports season. The only complication this time around, that didn’t really exist in the fall, is the specter of schools going back to remote learning. I think it is unlikely Gov. DeWine will “shut down” schools again, but of course it’s possible. The saga of COVID is, of course, very fluid. And tying back to my earlier point: not unlike whether or not winter sports will happen, the continuation of in-person instruction likely will be decided at the district-level before the state has any say in it.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Hearing all Adams county winter sports are canceled until further notice.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

It is sad what they have put our children through the last 8 months.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

I know a girls basketball coach that is missing 5 of his 8 top players.

They do not have Covid. They are out two weeks due to contact tracing.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

That is happening everywhere. Quarantine the healthy. Like it is the Bubonic Plague.

goindians42
Riding the Bench

Post by goindians42 »

petesweaty wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:57 pm It is sad what they have put our children through the last 8 months.
Indeed it is! My son is very level headed but putting basketball on hold till further notice has us all on pins and needles.
Going from being busy, practicing daily to virtual and that is it, is AWFUL, Mentally and physically. We are all drained worrying
about what will happen, sad fact is we can't change a thing. I feel there are things that can be a lot worse than covid.
Things being taken away on the daily is HARD to live with!!!

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Ohio
92% of deaths are age 60 plus
78% of deaths are age 70 plus
53% of deaths are age 80 plus

Death rate for those infected:
0-19 = .0001
20-29 = .0002
30-39 = .0009
40-49 = .002
50-59. = .01
60-69 = .02
70-79 = .07
80 plus = .18

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

West Virginia just shut down winter sports!!!

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

......that was last week until January 11.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:15 pm Hearing all Adams county winter sports are canceled until further notice.
I believe Piketon Redstreaks high school team is currently shutdown.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:17 pm It seems greatly unlikely winter sports will be cancelled statewide, but A.D.’s who know better aren’t counting their chickens before they hatch. Any cancellations would likely come down on the school district level (whether by Board of Education vote or bowing to the county health department’s recommendations.)

In theory, you could do winter sports just fine with the limited indoor attendance numbers and mask requirements as mandated by the Ohio Department of Health for the fall sports season. The only complication this time around, that didn’t really exist in the fall, is the specter of schools going back to remote learning. I think it is unlikely Gov. DeWine will “shut down” schools again, but of course it’s possible. The saga of COVID is, of course, very fluid. And tying back to my earlier point: not unlike whether or not winter sports will happen, the continuation of in-person instruction likely will be decided at the district-level before the state has any say in it.
Having just watched a scrimmage live-streamed and I asked the coach is this how it's going to be or will parents get to see games. The response was right now, even if we start the season on time, live-streaming is looking like a real possibility for EVERYONE. New restrictions are going to come out and it's not going to be feasible to have indoor attendance at all.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

greygoose wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:18 am
eagles73Taylor wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:15 pm Hearing all Adams county winter sports are canceled until further notice.
I believe Piketon Redstreaks high school team is currently shutdown.
And, your point?

Return to “Boys Basketball”