SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason Edition 20-21

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironton needs a passing game

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I’ve been looking at Portsmouth’s past records and seasons. The first thing that hit me was the watered down schedule they play . Very weak non conference and OVC well you can say what you want about that league. fairland has been good but I would put just a average league. But Portsmouth schedule last year was very watered down, really one of weakest ones I have seen for a Portsmouth team to have. My question is pfloyd does a tremendous job with this and it’s suppose to be fun. Like I said they haven t proved they deserve to be above 40. Earn the wins and your ranking will go up .

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Portsmouth thinks the rest of the county doesn’t like them because they have black kids there and nobody else hardly does. It’s more like the fans of Portsmouth act like TrojanDave and throw fits wherever they may roam and that’s fact. And when you bring facts into play that Portsmouth has been irrelevant for 7 or 8 years minus a measly sectional championship ,they cling to the coat tails of the past like Portsmouth is the Celtics of Ohio High School Basketball. Don’t get me started on Gods gift to coaching, Collins. Portsmouth could go 0-22 and someone would still say he’s the best coach in the area for what he does with the non privileged yutes

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I’m asking a question. So why are family’s and kids transferring from Portsmouth if it’s true what Trojandave has said is true from 250 in 2000 to 162 now. Also it only takes 10-12 players or even 2-3 players to elevate a program. I don’t buy because only 162 boys. Why do they choose to transfer or move then.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Because top talent wants to win and play a tough schedule.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

trojandave wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:33 pm pfloyd: You mean to tell me that with 4 starters back, that Portsmouth can't get ranked any higher than 40th!! I thought you took into consideration what the teams have coming back, and few have more than we have. Here's a list of teams that I have a serious question as to whether they should be ranked ahead of us.........

12.Piketon (12-12)
24.Hillsboro (9-15)
26.Lucasville Valley (9-15)
27.Circleville (2-21)
31.McClain (7-16)
33.Southern (11-12)
34.Ironton (13-11) lost all 5 starters
28.Miami Trace (12-11)
35.New Lexington (9-15)
36.South Webster (12-13)
37.Paint Valley (6-17)
38.Meigs (13-11)
39.South Gallia (13-11)

This isn't the first time you've done Portsmouth like this......this has been going on for years.....1 year you dropped us 15 spots because we lost 1 game. I'm tired of the way you have done this to my school for a long time. It's time to call you out on it!!

I know it's just a ranking of teams, but it's on a public forum, and just as much as you deserve praise for how you rank teams, criticism is also part of it as well. If we don't play during the season to deserve a top 15-20 ranking, then I can see justification for ranking us accordingly......but for a preseason ranking to have us 40th when we have 4 starters back, playing in a competitive league, is just inexcusable. We were 10-13 with 5 losses in the last minute of the game, and we played 3 games in Florida, with 1 of those losses at the buzzer. I don't see too many SE district teams playing outside the district.

Your darn right I'm upset, and I don't care what anyone thinks about this post. What have all these other schools I have mentioned done to deserve their ranking over Portsmouth? How many players do these teams have coming back? The OVC is a very competitive league in basketball, and I will put it up against many other leagues in our district.

This isn't a 1 year thing with Portsmouth.......this has been going on for years......and I'm not going to apologize for this post. I meant exactly what I posted. I try to be respectful on here, but I'm taking up for my Trojans. I have good reason to be upset. There's no way in the world we should start out 40th!! End up there, maybe......but not at the beginning!!

You didn't even have us on your original list!! GO TROJANS!!
Grow the f up :roll: :twisted: :roll:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

So only portsmouth is having kids leave ?

I know a few schools that get plenty of :move ins" every year ,and them names don't sound familiar 🤔.

You can hide your true colors ,everything shines about who you really are in one way or other.

Not that it matters ,but time for my exit from seops again :lol:

Hope everyone has a great holiday season and stay safe from the "covid" .......

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out crybaby

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Wow !!! ... teaching remotely, having to track every minute I instruct in my "day" job with students who need supports on a medium - remote/digital platform has taken up about ALL of my time during the week ... I get a text from an old friend telling me to get on SEOPS ! that my thread has blown up !!! ... being accused of being a racist, politically motivated in my rankings ??? unbelievable ...

... I'm not even going to give the political or racist comments the time of day - I'm not either of those ... my rankings I try the best I can to be fair to ALL teams, schools in SEO ... to be a supporter of ALL players, ALL teams, ALL coaches ... to be positive in my posts, in my rankings across the board ... as one poster pointed out "the rankings are but ONE man's OPINION" - yep, mine ... Portsmouth at #40 ... 4 starters back yes - sophs last year - the one offensive threat for PHS is not there anymore due to graduation ... they have to show the ability to score THIS season ... wins will move them UP the rankings quickly - I've always pointed out that the first 2-3 weeks have the most movement in the rankings because that's when we see which teams were ranked too low in the pre-season ... we find out all of those unknowns - ie. where is the offense coming from the Trojans ... scream all you want at the end of the season IF a team isn't getting the love you feel they deserve ... then we ALL can see the wins & losses, the opponents played etc. the eye tests on teams ... but in the preseason with so many unknowns - just prove me wrong, I've been wrong many times before, and will be wrong in the future ...

... I feel I have pretty thick skin when it comes to the criticism I get when doing the rankings - I take it in stride ... knowing that part of the reason for having rankings is to START conversation - to get posters to POST, to agree AND TO DISAGREE - it's all good in my book ... I do the rankings because I love the game, I totally enjoy traveling SEO, meeting the coaches, getting to know players, players families ... school administrators, boosters of the programs - I've met them all ... I enjoy being a person who looks for the good in every TEAM, player, coach I come across ... I post to support ALL ... I have told many , many people every year who have said "thank you for what you do for SEO hoops" that IF I ever come across NOT supporting players, teams, coaches, schools - that's when I will stop doing what I do ...

... looks like it is time to call it "done" ... racist? ... "done" ...

Thank you to those who have followed the Elite 8 all of these years - both supporting and disagreeing ! it's been a wonderful run ...

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I’m more of a Football guy myself, but I keep up with Portsmouth basketball. I personally am not bothered by them being at 40 because 1. It’s a ranking before any games have been played it means nothing until they play games. 2. I think it’s justified by losing Fraulini. Portsmouth has almost no height, no presence down low. Shipp will crash the glass, but he’s only about 6’2 maybe. I think they’ll struggle down low. Just my opinion, just like them being ranked #40 is Pfloyd’s opinion. Doesn’t make it right or wrong until the game is played. Lots of sensitive people on here, both from Portsmouth and not from Portsmouth. Lol

Who Dey!
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:31 pm Wow !!! ... teaching remotely, having to track every minute I instruct in my "day" job with students who need supports on a medium - remote/digital platform has taken up about ALL of my time during the week ... I get a text from an old friend telling me to get on SEOPS ! that my thread has blown up !!! ... being accused of being a racist, politically motivated in my rankings ??? unbelievable ...

... I'm not even going to give the political or racist comments the time of day - I'm not either of those ... my rankings I try the best I can to be fair to ALL teams, schools in SEO ... to be a supporter of ALL players, ALL teams, ALL coaches ... to be positive in my posts, in my rankings across the board ... as one poster pointed out "the rankings are but ONE man's OPINION" - yep, mine ... Portsmouth at #40 ... 4 starters back yes - sophs last year - the one offensive threat for PHS is not there anymore due to graduation ... they have to show the ability to score THIS season ... wins will move them UP the rankings quickly - I've always pointed out that the first 2-3 weeks have the most movement in the rankings because that's when we see which teams were ranked too low in the pre-season ... we find out all of those unknowns - ie. where is the offense coming from the Trojans ... scream all you want at the end of the season IF a team isn't getting the love you feel they deserve ... then we ALL can see the wins & losses, the opponents played etc. the eye tests on teams ... but in the preseason with so many unknowns - just prove me wrong, I've been wrong many times before, and will be wrong in the future ...

... I feel I have pretty thick skin when it comes to the criticism I get when doing the rankings - I take it in stride ... knowing that part of the reason for having rankings is to START conversation - to get posters to POST, to agree AND TO DISAGREE - it's all good in my book ... I do the rankings because I love the game, I totally enjoy traveling SEO, meeting the coaches, getting to know players, players families ... school administrators, boosters of the programs - I've met them all ... I enjoy being a person who looks for the good in every TEAM, player, coach I come across ... I post to support ALL ... I have told many , many people every year who have said "thank you for what you do for SEO hoops" that IF I ever come across NOT supporting players, teams, coaches, schools - that's when I will stop doing what I do ...

... looks like it is time to call it "done" ... racist? ... "done" ...

Thank you to those who have followed the Elite 8 all of these years - both supporting and disagreeing ! it's been a wonderful run ...
Thanks for all the hard work you have put into keeping us familiar with all teams in the Southeast District. Don't let one or two people bring you down. Let them try to keep track of all of the teams and not just their home school and see what their list looks like. The have no idea how much time and effort it takes to do what you have done for so many years. Thanks again!

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:31 pm unbelievable ...
My thoughts exactly @pfloyd, UNBELIEVABLE! Keep doing what you do, please.

Post by FIDO »

It is plain silly, and ugly, to call out Pfloyd for his opinion. I don't post much here but I do read. Pfloyds rankings means absolutely nothing but a starting point for chat and debate. Absolutely no place to get butt hurt over one man's opinion.

Start your own thread and put Portsmouth at the top. Who cares! It means nothing until playoff time. TRIVIAL!!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

trojandave’s responses on here are pretty ridiculous to say the least.

Forgetting a school happens when you’re ranking that many teams. He went back and added Portsmouth where he believed they fit and trojandave loses it again.

Whomever insinuated racial or political motivation also needs to take a step back and think about what they are implying.

Portsmouth may not be 40th, but they haven’t did anything to justify being a whole lot higher. Sure, they returned a lot, but they also lost their best player and leading scorer. That often leaves plenty of question marks for a team.

What was their record last year? 9-13 or somewhere around there wasn’t it? Portsmouth also had MULTIPLE 30+ point losses last season and then lost by 20+ in the sectionals. Let’s not pretend they’re world beaters even with what they have returning. They have all the makings of a .500 ish team whether your own bias wants to admit it or not.

I know you’re a diehard Portsmouth fan and that’s great. Your borderline fanatical approach of Portsmouth has always been accepted on this site even when it seemed a little over the top... But your responses on this thread have been ridiculous, unnecessary, and down right pathetic.
Last edited by bbjunky81 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Pfloyd, you are one one the most honest, fair persons on here, you are a great example of being fair to all. Don’t let a few fanatics stop you from doing what you do best. Just ignore these people, just because certain programs has fallen off the radar and think all you have to do is show up and not put the work in to keep up with school traditions. Your rankings are what all southeastern Ohio looks forward to. It’s really pathetic to read these insinuations. pfloyd keep on keepin, and waiting for your honest ratings in weeks to come. Teams has to earn there spots, 4 starters back mean nothing.

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

That 40th ranked Trojan team just tied with #50 Western pike in a 4 quarter scrimmage. 47-47. Scoring was not great by either team. 6 quarters were played but a lot of subs and young guys played for western in the final two.

Moral of the post. Get over it TrojanDave the Trojans just aren’t that good this year. Keep up the great work Pfloyd

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Well...nearly 15 years ago I convinced Pfloyd to bring his postings over to this site....I guess I’ll go try to bring him back after the ridiculous accusations.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

So really Portsmouth should be tied for 50 th place. So pfloyd did rate them to high. SOC1 school , what else needs said. Unbelievable a SOC 1 school gives the Portsmouth Trojans all they can handle.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Pfloyd doesn’t need me to defend him. He has always done his rankings with class and positivity. However the racial comment is over the top. I have a black son and Pfloyd has went out of his way to compliment him and speak to him every time we have ever ran into him at games and it has been a lot!

Return to “Boys Basketball”