Waverly Tigers 2020-2021 Season

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Waverly Tigers 2020-2021 Season

Post by trojandave »

I like to see SE district schools step up and play some good teams outside the district, and Waverly has certainly done that. A schedule like that can only help the Tigers come tournament time, and actually may not hurt them come seeding time if they get respect for that schedule, even with a few losses. WHS just may have the toughest non-conference slate in the entire SE district. Chillicothe, Ashland (KY), Newark, and Upper Arlington is a testy foursome.

I saw Waverly this summer vs. Portsmouth and if the Tigers can give scoring support to Tre Robertson, they will have a very good season. They have enough size to be competitive on the boards.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

trojandave wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:00 pm I like to see SE district schools step up and play some good teams outside the district, and Waverly has certainly done that. A schedule like that can only help the Tigers come tournament time, and actually may not hurt them come seeding time if they get respect for that schedule, even with a few losses. WHS just may have the toughest non-conference slate in the entire SE district. Chillicothe, Ashland (KY), Newark, and Upper Arlington is a testy foursome.

I saw Waverly this summer vs. Portsmouth and if the Tigers can give scoring support to Tre Robertson, they will have a very good season. They have enough size to be competitive on the boards.
Replace Chillicothe with Colonel Crawford for a good foursome. CC finished 23-1 last year and Chillicothe is going to be awful again this coming year.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

trojandave wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:00 pm I like to see SE district schools step up and play some good teams outside the district, and Waverly has certainly done that. A schedule like that can only help the Tigers come tournament time, and actually may not hurt them come seeding time if they get respect for that schedule, even with a few losses. WHS just may have the toughest non-conference slate in the entire SE district. Chillicothe, Ashland (KY), Newark, and Upper Arlington is a testy foursome.

That was the same question and problem waverly had last season as well, giving scoring support to Robertson. I think it's much more than support because obviously I'm sure they've got other players to score but they need to find another guy teams actually have to worry about. I think some of that falls back on coaching as well, when everything is ran through 1 player it has to be tough for other guys to step up or feel the need to. A lot easier to sit back and watch the show and less pressure on a player to watch rather than trying to push to score more.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Why is Chilly so far down ? Some great, great teams ! I know they’re D-1 , but were hopping they turn the corner at some point 👍

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

E High wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:27 am Why is Chilly so far down ? Some great, great teams ! I know they’re D-1 , but were hopping they turn the corner at some point 👍
A pretty big exodus to the county schools. They’ll be back sooner rather than later, but I’d expect a couple of pretty lean years, especially compared to the last 15 or so

I thought Waverly got some good contributions from unlikely sources last year when I saw them, so I’d expect a couple of others to step up along with Robertson, Futhey and Stulley.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

danicalifornia: Thanks for the info on Colonel Crawford.......didn't know they were 23-1 last season. I have to think that Chillicothe will be at least more competitive than last season, when the program imploded. But you keep up on Ross County and SVC news better than I do. Speaking of an exodus of CHS players to the county, I know that Zane Trace got 2 transfers from Chillicothe (ZT scrimmaged Portsmouth) and they will make the Pioneers a real threat to win the SVC and a possible district title.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

smurray, if you need assistance with the mic during the Hawhee Classic, let me know!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mikepike wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:22 pm smurray, if you need assistance with the mic during the Hawhee Classic, let me know!
Ok, that’s possibly but we’ll see.

BigBallFan
Waterboy

Post by BigBallFan »

How are the Tigers this year? I heard they are loaded for the next couple years. Is that true?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I can't speak for Waverly's entire roster, but I was impressed with what I saw during the summer when the Tigers scrimmaged Portsmouth. Tre Robertson is the best player I've seen in the SE district, and WHS also has some size to go along with him. Overall, I think Waverly should win the SOC2, and if they don't, it will be an upset. They have made a big upgrade in their non-conference schedule. I think WHS is a serious contender for a D2 regional berth, as long as Robertson gets help from his supporting cast.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly not quite ready for round ball yet.
Tiger football with a big comeback last night to beat Valleyview 28-18.

Return to “Boys Basketball”