Green (0-3)
Washington CH (0-1)
Manchester (0-2)
Westfall (0-3)
Huntington (0-3)
Miller (0-4)
Eastern Pike (0-3)
Portsmouth East
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio Week #3

Post by pfloyd »

Rock Hill over Green 71-55. The Redmen place 4 players in double figures. Sophomore Brayden Adams-19 pts, 4 steals, 3 assists, Junior Owen Hankins-18 pts, 8 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assists; Junior Braydon Malone-16 pts, 5rebounds; Senior Jake Schwab-12 pts, 6 rebounds; Sophomore Noah Doddridge 7 assists, 8 rebounds; Sophomores Deven Long and Victor Day & Juniors Caleb Murphy & Lane Smith played solid Defense gave solid minutes in the win....with the W the Redmen moved off the End Table ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74... I just watched the Indians' opening game with Western Pike ... this was a 3 point/one possession game with 1:55 in the 4th 49-46 Peebles ... Western has a scappy team, a good outing - they moved up considerably this week even with the loss to PHS ... 2-1 on the week and a good game vs Peebles ... Coach Arey's squad is a work in progress - with the size across the front we know what their strength IS ... working to get the ball going inside to the 3 bigs while still finding a perimeter threat to keep defenses from packing it inside ... Coach A will get it done in Peebles - they have a big game vs EB this Friday night?! ... I'll have eyes on that one for sure - my marque matchup on the big computer screen ( I hope it is streaming live) ... napkin stats/game recap afterwards IF I can get the Eastern Brown roster (name/numbers) ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

A steady early season list. I wouldn’t have Gallia Academy worse than 35th and much closer to Athens. I think Whiteoak is an upper 30’s team (you’d love Bailey and Barnett). I think Clay might be bottom 5-6. I THINK Peebles is too high but Coach Arey has earned the trust from you and everyone else.

I put pretty good thought into ranking all 71.....for me the top 12-13 was pretty easy and then it became tough for me. How far down the list do you get before it’s a bit of a struggle to figure out who’s next?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Que the Circleville 40 and Athens 26 comments in 3, 2, 1 ... lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Put me in the camp of Warren #1 (with a healthy Baumgard)

Best team I have seen in person not only this year, but last year as well.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Southeastern was without 6 varsity players this weekend and still competed really well with Paint Valley on Saturday, which may not be a great thing for the Bearcats.

SE should climb back up throughout the season as they get their guys back and are healthy. The Allman kid is going to be a major issue for teams the next 3+ seasons. A wide body who knows exactly how to use his size already, which should only make him tougher to deal with as he continues to evolve as a player.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:01 pm Southeastern was without 6 varsity players this weekend and still competed really well with Paint Valley on Saturday, which may not be a great thing for the Bearcats.

SE should climb back up throughout the season as they get their guys back and are healthy. The Allman kid is going to be a major issue for teams the next 3+ seasons. A wide body who knows exactly how to use his size already, which should only make him tougher to deal with as he continues to evolve as a player.
Good info....we need that stuff

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:58 pm Que the Circleville 40 and Athens 26 comments in 3, 2, 1 ... lol
It’s one game...it surprised me. I have Athens near that 26 number and actually Cville a few spots lower that Pfloyd. I approve of that gap...for now anyways

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:47 pm A steady early season list. I wouldn’t have Gallia Academy worse than 35th and much closer to Athens. I think Whiteoak is an upper 30’s team (you’d love Bailey and Barnett). I think Clay might be bottom 5-6. I THINK Peebles is too high but Coach Arey has earned the trust from you and everyone else.

I put pretty good thought into ranking all 71.....for me the top 12-13 was pretty easy and then it became tough for me. How far down the list do you get before it’s a bit of a struggle to figure out who’s next?
The top of the rankings is the easiest to do for sure , one I watch them all multiple times, with the live stream I watch the top 15 every game they are live streamed that I can - may not be same day BUT I pull them up an watch through a given week in which the games are played ... I do all of the nightly scores at the end of the day games are played ... they are all recorded on the "big board" along with arrows up or down depending on the loss or win each they play or if it was an expected loss ie a top team beating a lower ranked team neither an up or down arrow ... by Saturday night 10pm most if not all games are recorded ... what I have been doing this season is locking myself behind closed doors in my war room/hoops Study ... and start the process going from the top down ... it usually always falls into place for me as I go using the big board and then recording the rankings team by team on a new sheet ... I feel good about where have teams when I'm done actually - giving the middle/bottom ranked teams as much time as the top teams ... this season I am watching the games of teams in the bottom actually as well - I just watched Berne Union beat Miller last night on the replay of last nights live stream ... actual eyes on the bottom teams is new this season - as when I could be out and about every Tues/Friday/Saturday I ALWAYS went to GOOD games - good defined as teams in the top 25-30 playing a good opponent another team in the top 25-30 ... now I'm watching 4 games a night doing napkin stats for 1 game maybe 2 at the most ... AFTER the 4th week I feel really good about where teams have landed on the rankings ... If I sit down and record scores at the end of the night the rankings do a good job in predicting the outcomes (usually) ... in order to rank the top teams you have to KNOW the strength of the middle/bottom teams imo ... I'm getting more familiar with a lot more players top to bottom in the rankings - there are good basketball players all across Southern/SEOhio ! even on teams that don't have the best records - the kids can play the game ... I'm still enjoying doing the rankings, hav had a large number of coaches/assistant coaches/radio guys providing me with THEIR napkin stats of games played ... I MISS meeting up with PEOPLE though - THAT and the game atmosphere draws me out on the road - I love doing that ... but for 20-21 I'm making the best of it ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good work....the 12 people that post and the hundreds of readers all appreciate your work.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:41 pm Hoopie74... I just watched the Indians' opening game with Western Pike ... this was a 3 point/one possession game with 1:55 in the 4th 49-46 Peebles ... Western has a scappy team, a good outing - they moved up considerably this week even with the loss to PHS ... 2-1 on the week and a good game vs Peebles ... Coach Arey's squad is a work in progress - with the size across the front we know what their strength IS ... working to get the ball going inside to the 3 bigs while still finding a perimeter threat to keep defenses from packing it inside ... Coach A will get it done in Peebles - they have a big game vs EB this Friday night?! ... I'll have eyes on that one for sure - my marque matchup on the big computer screen ( I hope it is streaming live) ... napkin stats/game recap afterwards IF I can get the Eastern Brown roster (name/numbers) ...
Eastern Brown has pretty much the same team they had last year. Great guard play,Colton Vaughn the big redhead,Boone the scrappy point guard,Luke Garret at shooting guard, Huntley ( Very good) and a host of other hard nosed players like Amburgy or something like that.
I'm sure the game will be live streamed. Peebles has great size and alot of seniors,some who got a lot of playing time on last year's very good reserve team. The pieces are there for the Indians if coach Arey can't put them together. Guard play and valuing the ball is key. Last night coach played a bunch of players to trying to find out some things.
This is a game with two great coaches going at it. Game is at Eastern so it will be tough for the Indians to pull it out. If you remember last year the Warriors were down in the last .06 seconds and Peebles possession. A Browning foul on an inbounds pass sent Colton Vaughn to the line. Colton tossed the ball up on the foul and got 3 foul shots as it was called a 3 pt attempt. Colton went on to make all three foul shots and the Warriors had an awesome come from behind win. The stage is set. Go Indians!!!
Last edited by Hoopie74 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:03 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:01 pm Southeastern was without 6 varsity players this weekend and still competed really well with Paint Valley on Saturday, which may not be a great thing for the Bearcats.

Good info....we need that stuff

I watched that game last night live streamed. Southeaster could have won that game. They were scrappy. The one kid for Southeastern that scored about 16 points is a nice player. Smooth. The Grubb kid for PV kept them going. Southeastern could be pretty good by March in my opinion.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren has a lethal stretch of games - Dover this past Saturday night , Fort Frye (4-0) Tuesday night, Logan Friday night and wrap up the week that IS on Saturday vs undefeated Caldwell ... the Warriors WILL BE battle tested this season as their schedule is nothing but quality opponents throughout the season ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pfloyd...most surprising (for the good) team you have watched this season?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:22 pm Pfloyd...most surprising (for the good) team you have watched this season?
I'd say Lucasville Valley ... I figured they would be good under Norm BUT they have quality players and I can see Norm's handprint of fundamentals at both ends of the floor already - figured it would be later in the season due to the Covid restrictions on practices etc. 2 outstanding players in Ty Perkins and Bryce Stewart ... the supporting cast is excellent as well - George Arnett/Jace Copley shoot the ball well from the perimeter ... the role players who play the fundamental D and get the ball to the scorers Buckle, Metzler, Greathouse ... they beat South Webster, gave the Burg everything they could handle at Wheelersburg ... this TEAM will make noise in the post season with Norm at the helm ...

Jackson could have been my choice only in the fact that they definitely have a LOT of talent, and the quality coaching staff - the surprise is that they have been able to get it done as a TEAM - using the skill sets that each of those talented players bring to the court and getting them to mesh without having a Caleb Wallis to tie it all together ... Jackson has proven itself to be a very, very good TEAM ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Agree

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

For me Zane Trace is better than I expected. I don’t think they are a top 20 team (maybe we can debate that in about a month...but I thought they’d be a team in the 40-45 range. I have them at #28

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:21 pm For me Zane Trace is better than I expected. I don’t think they are a top 20 team (maybe we can debate that in about a month...but I thought they’d be a team in the 40-45 range. I have them at #28
ZT will have a say in who wins the SVC ... with Coach K starting over after losing the starting 5 from last season means - teaching the fundamentals of good D first - that's how Coach K builds a program - teach the kids how to play D, you can go deep into the bench with defensive players, you get kids on the floor ... after the D is established, it gets refined every time out ... next you use the talent offensively to begin to put together the scoring ...Coach K always develops a young pg who's purpose is to distribute, handle the ball - if that player is a scorer so much the better ... ZT has always had athletes to choose from ... getting those athletes to play roles that make the TEAM a TEAM is another goal of Coach K ... he has that in this group he has at ZT ... the record may not be what we are used to from ZT but they will be/are a team that you better bring your A game against or they will beat you ... and this gets more and more the norm the further into the season we go ...

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Thanks again for the time and effort it takes to be as fair and unbiased as one can possibly be, especially since most have differing opinions based off our own biases.

I also love reading the bantering from those supporting their team with fact based opinion. KUDOS!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”