Fairland 85 Portsmouth 47 Sectional Championship Final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Fairland 85 Portsmouth 47 Sectional Championship Final

Post by pfloyd »

Fairland 85
Portsmouth 47 a final
(running clock 4th period)

... this one was in the books after 1 as Clayton Thomas, Aiden Porter, & Jacob Polcyn combined for 27 first quarter points to put this one in the win column ... Thomas missed his first trey of the game before knocking down his next 5 triples in qtr number 1 (15 points) , the trio of Polcyn/Porter/Williams showed the flashes of the interior passing we have expected every time they walk on the court - they didn't disappoint as every bucket in the period came with a dime attached ... Thomas 15 pts/Porter 8 pts/ Polcyn 4 pts/ Williams 3 pts ... if you have watched this Edition of the Dragons over their reign in the OVC you have become familiar with the formula for "the W" - 3 point scoring + points in the paint tied to interior passing + back door scoring WITH dimes attached + transition scoring out of pressure man to man D - I'm still smiling ... the Trojans came to the party countering 3 balls with deuces ... PHS getting points from Donovan Carr 6pts/Dariyonne Bryant 4 pts/Miles Shipp 2 ... one of those times when every time Portsmouth scored on offense they were losing ground on D ... Fairland 30 Portsmouth 12 after one ... quarter number 2 kept the Dragon train moving toward the sectional championship as Fairland put up a 22-13 scoring margin ... Jacob Polcyn dropped a triple along with Nate Thacker to bring the Dragon's first half perimeter scoring to 7/11 from 3 point land ... more importantly FHS found balance with interior scoring - 26 point in the paint in the first 2 qtrs ... Porter with 6/Thomas 4 of the 2 point variety/JD Thacker 4 inside points/2 from Jordan Willams ... the Trojans found the range from behind the arc as Amare Johnson (5 pts)/Drew Roe (6 pts) combined for 3 triples in the 2nd ... a chip in 2 points from Bryant ... when you watch enough high school hoops - there's something to "the first team to 50 wins" Fairland 52 Portsmouth 25 after 2 ... Portsmouth needed a take away one or more of the components in the formula/equation in the 3rd to have a chance to get back in the game ... not to happen as Coach Speed's Dragons continued the onslaught/PHS with no answers to the FHS offense ... Fairland outscoring Portsmouth 17-9 in the period ... Portsmouth got 5 points off the bench from #34 freshman Deandre Berry including a deep 3 ball ... Roe/Carr each added 2 points in the quarter ... for Fairland Porter 5 pts on a triple + 2 ... Polcyn 4 pts ... Nate Thacker with his 2nd triple of the game ... but the play of the game that kept me smiling ... time running in the quarter, FHS offensively playing for the final shot ... ball in Thomas's hands ...:10 secs on the game clock, Thomas dribbles to the top of the key ... takes the three - miss ... Thomas followed his shot as it deflected high of the rim toward the left corner ... rebound, step back , shot from behind the arc - boooooom ! easily beating the buzzer with trey #6 thru 3 (5 pts in the qtr) ... Fairland 69 Portsmouth 34 after 3 ... 30 plus point lead going into the 4th - running clock ... when the train starts rolling it's hard to stop, Fairland was rolling even with the benches cleared FHS outscored Portsmouth in the final period 16-13 ... Clayton Thomas dropped his 7th three ball before leaving the game with 27 points ... Zander Schmidt showed he can score the ball whenever he wants - going 2 for 2 with a deuce and a triple ... Steeler Lepp 4 pts, Will Davis 2, #33 with 2 ... for Portsmouth Berry added 7pts in the 4th, #44 a deep 3 ball to round out the PHS scoring ... Fairland 85 Portsmouth 47 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Portsmouth

Scoring ... Deandre Berry 12, Donovan Carr 8, Drew Roe 8, Dariyonne Bryant 6, Amare Johnson 5, #44 3, Tyler Duncan 3
3 Pointers ... 7/28 ... Drew Roe 2, Deandre Berry 2,Amare Johnson 1, Tyler Duncan 1, #44 1
FTs ... 0/3
TOs ... 11
PnP ... 10 fgs/ 20 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Pbck ... 0

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Fairland

Scoring ...Clayton Thomas 27, Aiden Porter 19, Jacob Polcyn 11, Nate Thacker 6, Jordan Williams 5, Zander Schmidt 5, Steeler Lepp 4, Will Davis 2, #33 2
3 pointers ... 12/23 ... Clayton Thomas 7, Nate Thacker 2, Jacob Polcyn 1, Aiden Porter 1, Zander Schmidt 1
FTs ... 3/3
PnP ... 21 fgs/ 42 points in the paint
PnT .... 6 fgs/ 12 points in transition
Pbck ... 2 fgs/ 4 points on put back buckets

... I enjoy good basketball, I love outstanding basketball - I was smiling during the entire game tonight - seeing a Fairland TEAM do what we as hoops fans have come to expect - one of their most complete games of the season ... outside scoring with 12/23 triples, balanced by 42 points in the paint - outstanding ... THOSE inside points were setup by Polcyn/Williams/Porter/Thomas getting the ball down low and either scoring or making THAT pass when help came - THAT's the game that I haven't seen enough of from FHS this season ...THAT's the game that separates the Dragons from everyone they play ... when the inside game/threat is there it opens up the inside out game ... that pass from inside to Porter/Thomas/Schmidt/Polcyn behind the arc - deadly combo for opponents to deal with ... Congratulations to Coach Speed & his staff and the Dragon TEAM ... Sectional 'ship in the books again ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trojan7
JV Team

Re: Fairland 85 Portsmouth 47 Sectional Championship Final

Post by trojan7 »

Hey Pfloyd #34 is freshman Deandre Berry. I noticed in stat sheets he was brought up just a couple weeks ago and has led the Trojans in scoring in a couple games. Great rundown as always my friend as hope you’ve enjoyed my napkin stats to you all season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojan7 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:36 pm Hey Pfloyd #34 is freshman Deandre Berry. I noticed in stat sheets he was brought up just a couple weeks ago and has led the Trojans in scoring in a couple games. Great rundown as always my friend as hope you’ve enjoyed my napkin stats to you all season.
Thanks trojan7, you KNOW I enjoy your stats sheets my friend ! ... I get to SEE where teams are strong, weak at both ends of the floor ... THE PLAYERS for both teams ... the rosters !!! ... I truly appreciate you taking the time after calling your games to send the stats my way ...

Dragons16
Waterboy

Post by Dragons16 »

Ironton Tribune has Fairland down for 20 assists last night THAT is team basketball! 🏀

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Fairland has a lot of seniors. I’m curious how they fill the spots. Obviously the porter kid is a stud and will be a senior. They are such a fun team to watch and hardly ever make a mistake.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Dragons16
Waterboy

Post by Dragons16 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:43 am Fairland has a lot of seniors. I’m curious how they fill the spots. Obviously the porter kid is a stud and will be a senior. They are such a fun team to watch and hardly ever make a mistake.
They will have plenty of help for Porter (who may be the best player in the district this year as a junior) the JV team is undefeated this year. Schmidt who is a junior and JD Thacker a sophomore both playing varsity as well as Leep now add a few from the JV and I would expect Fairland can make a serious run at its 7th straight OVC title.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Dragons16 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:38 am Ironton Tribune has Fairland down for 20 assists last night THAT is team basketball! 🏀
... Dragons16 I knew they had a bunch of them ! - great passes to open teammates the entire game ... once the interior passing was there ... the inside out pass was open too - the Dragons found them all ... CT hit a streaking Jordan Williams with a 1/2 court dime that made me yell out loud ! - drawing a strange look from Mrs pfloyd...

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Does anyone know how many starters Portsmouth has back next season. Since they got blew out by 38 points in this game. I still say pfloyd had them rated to high to begin season and to high during season and getting beat by Rock Hill that hadn’t won a league game in 5_6 years to end season Fairland blasting them by 38 points in sectional final. I say no better than top 50 . That was with 4 starters back. Good Lucknnext season Trojans.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I was wondering the same thing, Prime Time. The aggression towards Pfloyd had me believing these guys were potential state contenders. I cant imagine the Trogans have a lot off experienced depth returning.

It is as I've said before, the historical value of quality teams doesn't always equate in the win/loss record. It is all about the present.

Pfloyd called it very early and very accurately. His forum is an excellent source of information about teams rarely discussed. jmo

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree. Sounds like someone owes pfloyd an apology.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:32 pm Does anyone know how many starters Portsmouth has back next season. Since they got blew out by 38 points in this game. I still say pfloyd had them rated to high to begin season and to high during season and getting beat by Rock Hill that hadn’t won a league game in 5_6 years to end season Fairland blasting them by 38 points in sectional final. I say no better than top 50 . That was with 4 starters back. Good Lucknnext season Trojans.
Roe will be a senior, Bryant will be a senior. I think they start. Johnson will be a senior, carr I’m not sure what grade he is. 2 or 3 starters come back. I can’t believe rock hill beat them and that fairland score is brutal.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:15 pm
Prime Time wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:32 pm Does anyone know how many starters Portsmouth has back next season. Since they got blew out by 38 points in this game. I still say pfloyd had them rated to high to begin season and to high during season and getting beat by Rock Hill that hadn’t won a league game in 5_6 years to end season Fairland blasting them by 38 points in sectional final. I say no better than top 50 . That was with 4 starters back. Good Lucknnext season Trojans.
Roe will be a senior, Bryant will be a senior. I think they start. Johnson will be a senior, carr I’m not sure what grade he is. 2 or 3 starters come back. I can’t believe rock hill beat them and that fairland score is brutal.
Carr will be a Senior.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Starters back for the Trojans next season: SR Donovan Carr, SR Daryionne Bryant, SR Drew Roe, SR Amare Johnson, and SR Daewin Spence off the bench. Freshmen Devin Lattimore started both tournament games and DeAndre Berry played a lot of minutes the last third of the season. Lattimore had a high of 11 points, while Berry had high games of 14 and 12. Also figuring in the rotation will be JR Reid Pendleton and JR Tyler Duncan. SO LeVaughn Cobb and SO Noah Livingston will help.

The main problem facing the Trojans next season will be scoring.......can we put the ball in the basket more often?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:22 pm Starters back for the Trojans next season: SR Donovan Carr, SR Daryionne Bryant, SR Drew Roe, SR Amare Johnson, and SR Daewin Spence off the bench. Freshmen Devin Lattimore started both tournament games and DeAndre Berry played a lot of minutes the last third of the season. Lattimore had a high of 11 points, while Berry had high games of 14 and 12. Also figuring in the rotation will be JR Reid Pendleton and JR Tyler Duncan. SO LeVaughn Cobb and SO Noah Livingston will help.

The main problem facing the Trojans next season will be scoring.......can we put the ball in the basket more often?
Good luck!

Return to “Boys Basketball”