I WAS WRONG PFLOYD!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

I WAS WRONG PFLOYD!!

Post by trojandave »

I want to apologize to pfloyd on my rant about his preseason ranking for the Trojans. He was right, and I was wrong. Dead wrong. This time.

I never thought that with 4 starters back, that we would be WORSE than last year's 10 win season. As the season played out, I never realized that even with all that experience back, that we would have such trouble scoring. We scored 46 points and under 10 times.....and went 0-10 in those games.

You have to score in basketball to win games.......and my Trojans simply couldn't put the ball in the basket. What concerns me is that will be the same problem next season.......at least the 2 freshmen, DeAndre Berry and Devin Lattimore, gives me hope that things may be better in 2021-2022.

How many people would think that with 4 starters back, that their team would be worse? Probably no one. Unfortunately it became a reality.

We won't be down for much longer (hopefully).......we have some good kids coming up in the 9th, 8th, and 7th grade groups. Not state championship caliber, but good enough that we might be able to have some winning seasons.

People who have followed my posts on SEOPS know that I have been pretty accurate on how the Trojans will do in a particular season.......but this time, I was dead wrong.

It does hurt to see the Trojans struggle for 3 straight losing seasons, considering that I've seen my alma mater play in 5 state championship games and 6 state tournaments total. We Trojan alums are very proud of our basketball history.

So, pfloyd, there is my apology to you.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: I WAS WRONG PFLOYD!!

Post by Hoopie74 »

Welcome home. Time will heal wounds. Have a great day trojandave.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, Hoopie74......and I'm glad you have recovered from Covid.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:24 pm Thanks, Hoopie74......and I'm glad you have recovered from Covid.
Thx! Feeling better every day. Thank the Lord.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Glad to see this post, Dave.

Even more glad to see you back on Preps.

Your love for your school is admirable. Better days are ahead for the Trojans.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Great to have you back on here Dave. I've had my share of wrong takes on here over the years, and the best move always is to just apologize and move on. As for the Trojans, there definitely some individual talent in lower grades/junior high. Coaches have to figure out how to mesh that individual talent into team wins.*

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... no one need apologize for making a wrong "prediction" trojandave ... we're talking youngin's here who are playing a TEAM sport where to reach their true potential everyone must mesh as a TEAM ... Dave I made my predictions based on YOUR knowledge of the Trojans ... I could just have easily been wrong ... I am more than happy to BE WRONG when it comes to teams and the kids playing bb - I WANT EVERY TEAM TO PERFORM BETTER THAN MY OWN PREDICTIONS as the preseason rankings are not intended to say that THIS is where teams will end up, it only gives them a starting point for me to rank them appropriately during the season so they don't have to climb through the masses to get to where they should have been ranked in the first place - Portsmouth West for example THEY have had to climb up through the rankings AND HAVE with an outstanding season by those players, the coaching staff and the support of the posters here on SEOPS ... I get it ! that a team with 4 returning starters SHOULD be better than the year before ... in my mind they STILL needed to SHOW ME they could score - as YOUR rundown of PHS was to question the scoring ability of PHS ... I only took it from an outsiders point of view that without Matthew Fraulini the Trojans had no proven scoring threat on the perimeter ... anyway it's always good to see your input - it has been missed this season ... as for ME being biased against PHS - that, I have never been ... just as I am as unbiased as possible with ALL 71 teams in SEO - if I have ever come across as being bias against not only your Trojans but ANY team in the SE District I openly apologize to the schools, the teams, the coaches, the players and the fans/posters ... your posts have been missed, sadly the players on the PHS team have not had the kudos that YOU normally put out there during the season for each game the Trojans play ... welcome back Dave ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’m wrong all the time.

Good apology and welcome back. I know a lot less about Portsmouth this year because you weren’t on here

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:28 pm I’m wrong all the time.

Good apology and welcome back. I know a lot less about Portsmouth this year because you weren’t on here
... you ARE I92 !!! - you just post so much, say so much it's dang hard to keep up and point anything out !!!! :lol: ...

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

It's district tourney time everyone. Get behind these Southeastern Ohio teams and get some to UD. It's basketball 30 with a twist.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:46 pm

... you ARE I92 !!! - you just post so much, say so much it's dang hard to keep up and point anything out !!!! :lol: ...
I try to just post half of the info I know so you can add in some stuff 😁

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:09 pm

LOL ... you're the best I92 ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:41 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:09 pm

LOL ... you're the best I92 ...
You have Portsmouth at 38th...I have them at 36th.

Hey Dave...next trip to Jackson I’ll pay for your parking and popcorn.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: Thanks for the offer.....In a normal year, Jackson is a great place to watch tournament basketball. A fully packed JHS gym is noisy, but unfortunately Covid has made gyms in SE Ohio a lot quieter. Next season I hope we can get back to full gyms and a district/regional tournament at the Convo.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Definitely a class act. Very few people admit to their mistakes. KUDOS

I've had foot n mouth disease I've regretted on many occasions, particularly on this site.

goindians42
Riding the Bench

Post by goindians42 »

I believe most of us on here are very passionate about our teams. Most of the time it is best to step back and realize that no one on here
(or at least, VERY FEW) are here to bash kids or programs. Most of us just have a love for basketball and our school. I for one have missed not
getting to go to all of the games I would like to, and having to beg, borrow and plead to get tickets.
Great to see an apology post, now just roll on and look forward to next season!

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

trojandave,

Thanks for your updates every year. I enjoy reading about my alma mater as I'm always quick to check the box-scores to see how the P-town boys are doing. It's been a weird year for everyone and just like the Trojans we returned (3) starters and had high expectations but only managed a 13-7 record; The first half was horrible after starting the season with back-to-back 14-day quarantines. We caught a groove midway but fizzled out in the tournament as we had nothing left to give. I'm confident Coach Collins will have them ready and hungry for next season...Players are made in the summer, kids will have to put in the work to get better. I believe the tide will turn and the Portsmouth Trojans will return to glory! Keep the faith my friend...it can happen! Hopefully, our kids will get to come down this summer for camp or the Classic!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Jeff: Thanks for the encouragement......you've done a great job at Northridge and what makes it even more impressive is that you are in the Southwest District which normally is loaded with good teams from Dayton, Cincinnati, and the surrounding area.

This year has been the most trying year to keep up on the Trojans. I only went to 4 games in-person but watched quite a few others on livestream. Jeff, the main issue going forward into next season will be scoring. We had 10 games, half our schedule, in which we scored 47 points or less and went 0-10 in those games. We have a junior class that next season will have 3 years of varsity experience and hopefully they will be able to put the ball in the basket more often. Freshmen DeAndre Berry and Devin Lattimore did well and led the team in scoring in 2 games that were Trojan wins.

It hurts to see our Trojans struggle, and I also feel for Coach Collins, who puts in a lot of time and effort in a job that carries with it high expectations. I do have confidence that eventually we will come back and it will be fun to watch the Trojans rise up in the SE district. "One for the thumb" is not dead at Portsmouth!!

Coach Collins told me that the Trojans will be very busy this summer playing hoops. Didn't do that last summer due to Covid and it really hurt the team.

Beat wishes to one of the all time great Trojans!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”