D3 Sweet 16- Wheelersburg (20-1) vs Worthington Christian (24-1)

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: D3 Sweet 16- Wheelersburg (20-1) vs Worthington Christian (24-1)

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I believe West scored more from the line in that game so what's your point?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Bleeding Red wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 pm The jr high team coaches have been very active in talking to kids and getting them to transfer in several sports over the last 5 years. Thats a fact.

And before you roast me for stating what really happens, understand that I dont blame the kids that have transferred to Burg. Or Ironton.

Hell most of the coaches in all sports in this area are too lazy to even pick up the phone and talk to a college coach about recruiting their kids. Most (outside of football and some basketball) have to give the coaching position to some lazy teacher who doesnt know the game they are coaching just because they are a school employee and they have to offer it to them first.

But lets not sit here and act like it doesnt happen at Burg. Or Ironton. It happens a lot. And again, I cant blame the kids for getting away from a lousy coach and go to a program where they will get exposure to potentially play a sport in college.
That’s a bold statement about junior high coaches. Something like that should be backed up with specifics.

As far as the college recruiting thing, I’m not buying it. You either have the ability or you don’t. Cain madden and Blaine Scott didn’t go to ironton or burg and they made it just fine.

It’s up to the individual.

Burg probably averages about 1 kid every year that comes in junior high. But for the majority of the team, they are there since kindergarten. And yes there are some football players who live in patriot ridge and hunters point and sciotoville. Less than a 1/2 mile from burgs school district. Hunters point and patriot ridge are closer to burg schools than the school in the district it’s supposed to be in.

Minford had a competitive balance of 10 in football. So they too have kids who don’t live in district

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 am If a kid comes to a school and his parents live out of the district but then move into that school district , is that kid still counted towards the CB???
No. CB numbers ONLY apply to those living outside of the district.

Live outside the district and attend continuously since 7th grade CB = 1
Live outside the district and NOT attend continuously since 7th grade CB = 5
Last edited by Tri-StateYouthSports on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Crab's Brother »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pm I don't have names right now but I can get them. That's what I was told from a reliable source at the school where some of the kids live.

I know the Gregg kid came in last year but was told he was living with his Mom in an apartment in the Burg so Burg's CB number had to come from somewhere.
Those names will be news to me and I'm pretty familiar with the area. Just curious who they would be.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Like wobycat said you have a couple of other districts closer to Burg's school than they are to there own.

I guarantee you there are some out of Patriot Ridge because every kid in there is considered open enrollment.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:40 pm Like wobycat said you have a couple of other districts closer to Burg's school than they are to there own.

I guarantee you there are some out of Patriot Ridge because every kid in there is considered open enrollment.
I’m 100% sure but I guess it only matters if they’re impact players.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:57 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:40 pm Like wobycat said you have a couple of other districts closer to Burg's school than they are to there own.

I’m 100% sure but I guess it only matters if they’re impact players.
I guess so. Any kid living in any of those areas are going to affect the CB number whether they play or not.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:04 pm I guess so. Any kid living in any of those areas are going to affect the CB number whether they play or not.
Play meaning on the team? Yes

Because open enrollment kids who don't play a sport only affect the overall enrollment. Not the CB number

And as far as the West game. The second quarter, when Wheelersburg extended the lead to double figures, Miller and especially Jolly, should have been sitting in foul trouble. Same thing you're complaining about from last night. And you're right about last night. What used to be a foul is now considered good defense because referees have been instructed to let it go. And I also agree with you, swallowing the whistle in big games or parts of games is wrong. Their needs to be consistency

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

Can we just focus on the fact that two great teams that are both well coached, played a very high level game. Both teams had kids make great plays. Congratulations to WC for continuing on and congratulations to Wheelersburg for a great season and showing. Nuff said

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Regardless of CB, or before CB existed, having 40 years of sustained excellence in all major sports is impressive. It isnt like they have "recruited" half their starting lineup annually. I'm not buying one or two move ins created the sustained dominance. This is HS athletics and not COLLEGE and PROFESSIONAL athletics where one or two players could make a difference in winning a game or two.

I don't know the answer, but I'd need to see hard data and not some decades old recruiting conspiracy that enabled the success.

Just my opinion from an old LV guy.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Westfan wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:55 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:04 pm I guess so. Any kid living in any of those areas are going to affect the CB number whether they play or not.
Play meaning on the team? Yes

Because open enrollment kids who don't play a sport only affect the overall enrollment. Not the CB number

And as far as the West game. The second quarter, when Wheelersburg extended the lead to double figures, Miller and especially Jolly, should have been sitting in foul trouble. Same thing you're complaining about from last night. And you're right about last night. What used to be a foul is now considered good defense because referees have been instructed to let it go. And I also agree with you, swallowing the whistle in big games or parts of games is wrong. Their needs to be consistency

Yes, meaning they play on the team.

You might be right about fouls during the West game but I missed a lot of it.

I’ve never been a fan of the let them play because it causes a team to play a style they are not used too.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I’m not sure how this thread got sidetracked so badly. The bottom line Burg had a very good season. Yes ... 2 starters developed their skills at another school so be it. Being District Champions is a great accomplishment so let the kids enjoy it. If anything Wheelersburg probably needs to upgrade its non-conference schedule to prepared for teams like WC. But let’s not ruin it for the kids and the Community.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

123xxx wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:37 pm Can we just focus on the fact that two great teams that are both well coached, played a very high level game. Both teams had kids make great plays. Congratulations to WC for continuing on and congratulations to Wheelersburg for a great season and showing. Nuff said
Exactly

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:29 pm
Bleeding Red wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 pm The jr high team coaches have been very active in talking to kids and getting them to transfer in several sports over the last 5 years. Thats a fact.

And before you roast me for stating what really happens, understand that I dont blame the kids that have transferred to Burg. Or Ironton.

Hell most of the coaches in all sports in this area are too lazy to even pick up the phone and talk to a college coach about recruiting their kids. Most (outside of football and some basketball) have to give the coaching position to some lazy teacher who doesnt know the game they are coaching just because they are a school employee and they have to offer it to them first.

But lets not sit here and act like it doesnt happen at Burg. Or Ironton. It happens a lot. And again, I cant blame the kids for getting away from a lousy coach and go to a program where they will get exposure to potentially play a sport in college.
That’s a bold statement about junior high coaches. Something like that should be backed up with specifics.

As far as the college recruiting thing, I’m not buying it. You either have the ability or you don’t. Cain madden and Blaine Scott didn’t go to ironton or burg and they made it just fine.

It’s up to the individual.

Burg probably averages about 1 kid every year that comes in junior high. But for the majority of the team, they are there since kindergarten. And yes there are some football players who live in patriot ridge and hunters point and sciotoville. Less than a 1/2 mile from burgs school district. Hunters point and patriot ridge are closer to burg schools than the school in the district it’s supposed to be in.

Minford had a competitive balance of 10 in football. So they too have kids who don’t live in district
Not as bold as those coaches actively talking to players from other schools lol.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Burg loses just as many as transfer in, I can think of 2 that were pretty good athletes that went to minford recently.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

No doubt Wheelersburg has benefited from Transfers. When you only play 8, and 2 of your 5 best are transfers from 8th grade on how can you deny that it's making a difference? Truitt was a 4 year starter

Going forward we will see what happens, but without some transfers they won't necessarily have top 4-5 talent for a couple years so we'll see how they do

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:50 pm No doubt Wheelersburg has benefited from Transfers. When you only play 8, and 2 of your 5 best are transfers from 8th grade on how can you deny that it's making a difference? Truitt was a 4 year starter

Going forward we will see what happens, but without some transfers they won't necessarily have top 4-5 talent for a couple years so we'll see how they do
They didn’t lose a jv game and freshman only lost 1. Should be decent if everyone returns

RoundBall1
Waterboy

Post by RoundBall1 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:27 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 am So basically what I am gathering from this is that WC is Burg in a bigger scaled area? Because what the Burg people are complaining about with WC seems very similar to what Southern Ohio schools complain about with Burg. WC and Burg just come about it in different ways. For WC, it seems they get the leftover kids who may not quite play for the bigger surrounding schools but are still very good players. For Burg, they get a lot of good athletes come in because they are the program with the most success in this area and kids want to be apart of that. Same answer, different equation.

Name me one other good athlete Burg has brought in in the last 5 years besides Truitt that has made a huge impact for them. I love these people who say Burg brings in these good "athletes" like we have them coming in by the droves!!!

These small private schools around the big cities can pick and chose who they want to bring in. I would say that 90% of those leftover kids would start for just about every team down here, Burg included.

Also, was curious as to who was the 6'8" kid sitting on the bench for them not even dressed to play. Heard he was from Haiti and was ineligible to play. Any truth to that?
Cole Lowery

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RoundBall1 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:06 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 am So basically what I am gathering from this is that WC is Burg in a bigger scaled area? Because what the Burg people are complaining about with WC seems very similar to what Southern Ohio schools complain about with Burg. WC and Burg just come about it in different ways. For WC, it seems they get the leftover kids who may not quite play for the bigger surrounding schools but are still very good players. For Burg, they get a lot of good athletes come in because they are the program with the most success in this area and kids want to be apart of that. Same answer, different equation.

Name me one other good athlete Burg has brought in in the last 5 years besides Truitt that has made a huge impact for them. I love these people who say Burg brings in these good "athletes" like we have them coming in by the droves!!!

These small private schools around the big cities can pick and chose who they want to bring in. I would say that 90% of those leftover kids would start for just about every team down here, Burg included.

Also, was curious as to who was the 6'8" kid sitting on the bench for them not even dressed to play. Heard he was from Haiti and was ineligible to play. Any truth to that?
Cole Lowery
His mom got a job at burg.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RoundBall1 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:06 pm

Cole Lowery

Ok, I’ll give you Cole but not sure he didn’t make the decision on his own to come to Burg. Things had went stagnant for him at Portsmouth so he left. Turned out pretty well for him!

Return to “Boys Basketball”