D3 Sweet 16- Wheelersburg (20-1) vs Worthington Christian (24-1)

FIDO
S

Re: D3 Sweet 16- Wheelersburg (20-1) vs Worthington Christian (24-1)

Post by FIDO »

There is a vast difference between actively recruiting a player vs a family wanting what is best for their child. I just find it hard to believe in today's era, with all of social media and internet access, cell phone recording, etc...active recruiting would occur. I think it would be exposed rather quickly and district's penalized.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

FIDO wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:00 am There is a vast difference between actively recruiting a player vs a family wanting what is best for their child. I just find it hard to believe in today's era, with all of social media and internet access, cell phone recording, etc...active recruiting would occur. I think it would be exposed rather quickly and district's penalized.
I agree, would be pretty easy to bust someone in today’s day and age.

Wheelersburg and Ironton “recruit” themselves, as in athletes in not-so-good situations and nearby schools understand that Burg and Ironton is a better opportunity. It just is. I don’t care if 15 players move in one year, unless you have stone cold concrete proof that they were recruited and you can prove it to OHSAA, then you probably should never even mention the word recruit.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

It is simple for me...if a parent wants to move their children to a particular district because of both educational and athletical purpose, the naysayers should get over themselves or up their game. Navigating within the rules is fine.some are better than others. Some psych themselves out and are thus defeated before playing. Rise up, man up, and play the darn game. Mo excuses and mo post mortems. If you feel your players cant hang drop them from the schedule. In other words, mitigate your losses and play those teams that closely align with ur value

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:10 pm
SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:20 pm Some of the same people on here defending Wheelersburg accuse Ironton of recruiting. If you are so sure Wheelersburg doesn't, then how are you so sure others do? Speculate, evidence, envy, or just read the tea leaves like everyone else?
This is my problem with it. Yabba and woby complain on any thread that mentions Ironton and how they have “recruits,” but will give you any run around or excuse imaginable when a kid moves into Burg.... It’s exhausting to be honest. How the blinders can be that thick I will never quite know.

You're hilarious!!!! Tell me the last time Burg has brought in 5-6 kids just to play one sport??

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:20 pm Some of the same people on here defending Wheelersburg accuse Ironton of recruiting. If you are so sure Wheelersburg doesn't, then how are you so sure others do? Speculate, evidence, envy, or just read the tea leaves like everyone else?
This is my problem with it. Yabba and woby complain on any thread that mentions Ironton and how they have “recruits,” but will give you any run around or excuse imaginable when a kid moves into Burg.... It’s exhausting to be honest. How the blinders can be that thick I will never quite know.
I will tell you why. Because people look at the CB numbers and assume they are taking kids from every district when they need to look at all the variables. I will go last 5 seasons in burg football and tell you that only two kids came in while in high school. Portsmouth kid and Ashland. I will also tell you that the same amount of kids that have come in those years, there has been an equal amount leave to go to other schools in the same time frame. Kids, burg wished they had played for them.

Compare that to ironton. In the last two seasons, ironton has had around 10 new players come in that played at another high school the year before. let’s not believe they came because they won one playoff game two years ago.

I have always admitted that burg has had a few transfers from other schools in junior high in the past. And it does help them but I will always argue against the recruiting argument. I’m sure parents try to get other kids to come to burg but I’m not buying the coaching staff at burg is involved.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:21 am

You're hilarious!!!! Tell me the last time Burg has brought in 5-6 kids just to play one sport??
Current Sophomores when they were entering the 8th Grade

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:05 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:21 am

Current Sophomores when they were entering the 8th Grade
There were 5 kids who came in on that class. 1 left and 1 always lived in district. 3 of them still are at burg.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:47 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:38 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:32 pm

Like we said earlier woby, how many of these kids live in Patriot Ridge or Hunters Point. Not every kid that has came to Burg has been a superstar.

No one on here ever has any evidence that these so called coaches are out recruiting kids. I call BS on that.
I am still waiting on what players live in Patriot Ridge.....

Most of them I found are in Junior High. About 6-7 including one girl who played on the Junior High team.

So none that contribute to the football CB number like you said earlier in this thread. Got it.

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

All Honesty, who wouldn't want to send their kids to play sports at the burg? Sports are top notch from soccer, basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball and their academics are A+. Every year they are successful, so why not.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Rumor is Burg is getting a HUGE transfer next season.

The quiz bowl team gonna be unstoppable

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:20 pm Rumor is Burg is getting a HUGE transfer next season.

Congrats to Coach Oakes on landing that transfer!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:20 pm Rumor is Burg is getting a HUGE transfer next season.

Little is staying put.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Coach Oakes? Is he still at burg?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Coach Oakes? Is he still at burg?
I think so. I typically get to see Brian (and his twin who coaches the team from Minford, Brett) yearly at regionals, but that obviously didn’t happen last Spring because of schools being canceled.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Man quiz bowl was my jam back in the day. Think I started LOL for three years.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Lies. Burg only has kids from Burg. CB is a lie

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:59 pm Man quiz bowl was my jam back in the day. Think I started LOL for three years.
I used to write for the league/tournament put on by the Scioto County ESC, and I’ve read for both schools many times over the years both down there and at Regionals. But not SW, sadly.

Always good to see the occasional quiz bowl reference on ye ol’ SEOPs. :)

Fun fact: Wheelersburg has more Ohio Academic Competition state titles than Columbus St. Charles. And that’s a competition where all schools play for one singular title. No size classifications!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:16 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:59 pm Man quiz bowl was my jam back in the day. Think I started LOL for three years.
I used to write for the league/tournament put on by the Scioto County ESC, and I’ve read for both schools many times over the years both down there and at Regionals. But not SW, sadly.

Fun fact: Wheelersburg has more Ohio Academic Competition state titles than Columbus St. Charles. And that’s a competition where all schools play for one singular title. No size classifications!

Burg is also the 1984 National Quiz Bowl Champion.

Add that to all of the other accomplishments at Burg!!!

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:19 am
formerfcfan wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:16 pm

Burg is also the 1984 National Quiz Bowl Champion.

Add that to all of the other accomplishments at Burg!!!
I heard Coach Oakes was quite the basketball player back in the day. But Quiz bowl team must be recruiters too, since every winning team at Burg is FULL of transfers.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Burg was recruiting me but they couldn’t come through on the free tattoos and gold pants. The Old track/quiz bowl coach though at Webster is good for wings or Taco Bell occasionally though. Especially when you dunk on everyone at the old scudder school LOL

Return to “Boys Basketball”