Unioto 47 Gallia Academy 32 District D2 Final final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Unioto 47 Gallia Academy 32 District D2 Final final

Post by pfloyd »

Unioto 47
Gallia Academy 32 a final

... when I saw this matchup WAS "THE" matchup my first thoughts were "mismatch", on paper the U of Coach Hoops had the advantage in every napkin stat category - OVERALL size (yeah GAHS has 6-8 Clary but ...) , more athletes at every position, better scorers of the ball, outside scoring, inside offense/defense , depth ... throw in varsity experience for good measure ... I didn't see this one as being "close" or at least not THAT close ... BUT in Gallia Academy you have to start with THE BIG MAN - soph Isaac Clary ... at 6-8 he is a man mountain ... good footwork , the ability to seal off defenders when he is on the blocks, turn, drop step, and has good touch around the rim - he gets it done ... defensively Clary changes shots, not a shot blocker but his presence gives anyone coming into the paint reason "to pause" - think (that killer of shots at the rim - thinking) ... Gallia on paper is "a year away" as it says on my big board - offensively challenged, no real outside threat, young/quick athletes who play very physical on the ball defense ... good pieces to work with for sure- Brody Fellure handles the ball well on the perimeter, Carson Call - has nice length and gets to the rim when he has an opening, freshman Kenyon Franklin has the potential to be special down the road with his length/athleticism ... Cooper Davis length/good defensive player ... 2 big boyz off the bench Noah Vanco/ Connor Walter ... lots of talent "to be" but very little offense on the perimeter and very little on the inside besides Clary ... soooooooo how do the Blue Devils go into a game that on paper they have no chance of winning : control the tempo , make it a half court game at both ends of the floor , don't panic, keep the game within range going into the 4th period - just be within a couple of possessions ... Coach Harrison's crew did just that for 2 quarters ... playing Unioto relatively even through halftime and in some aspects they WERE where they wanted to be going into the 2nd half ... Unioto 47 Gallia Academy 32 a final

... this one started out as I THOUGHT it would go with Unioto showing what you need to do to take a team that has a BIG MAN out of their game - the Shermans hit the perimeter shot going 3/7 from downtown with 3 balls from DeSean Branson and 2 wide open deep treys from the U leader on the floor Isaac Little ... Galloway showed that he could go AT the GAHS big man Clary in the paint ... the talented 6-6 freshman hit for 2 fgs down low ... no panic in the Blue Devils as they had their game plan - go to their bread and butter in Clary, get the U in foul trouble which they did - Galloway picking up 2 fouls in the opening qtr. ... GAHS got 6 points from Clary down on the blocks AND from the FT line as the big man showed deft touch at the line going 4/4 from the line ... PG Brody Fellure with 5 including the only triple of the game for the Blue Devils ... Carson Call rounded out the scoring with a deuce on a putback bucket ... Unioto 16 Gallia Academy 13 after 1 ... The Sherman's have a reputation for defense - lots of athleticism inside and out - they get after you ... in period #2 the U lived up to that rep as the Shermans turned the Blue Devils over 8 times in the qtr , allowed only 7 points by GAHS- Call adding 4 pts, Kenyon Franklin 2 and Clary going 1/2 from the line ... in a qtr where you limit your opponent to under 10 pts you HOPE to extend your lead but GAHS plays D as well - they may not light-up the scoreboard but they can limit the offense of their opponents - physical defense, tight perimeter D that takes away the 3 point attempts/makes - GAHS forced 5 Unioto turnovers, allowed only one make of 2 three point attempts & 9 points in the period ... Galloway adding 7 more points including a triple (11 pts for the half) with 2 from Little ... Unioto 25 Gallia Academy 20 at the half ... Coach Harrison's Blue Devils would not leave the Sherman's rearview mirror , hanging around, hanging around where a couple stops paired with a couple buckets would have them putting pressure on the favored Tanks ... Unioto pushed the lead to 10 points in the 3rd period getting only 9 points at the offensive end while holding Gallia to 4 points in the 3rd - 2 pts each from Call and Clary ... the defenses determined the outcome of this one as the Shermans were able to add to their half time lead - 4 points from Little, 2 from Branson and a 3 from Evan Parks off the bench who kept the ball out of the GAHS big mans hands on the block ... Unioto 34 Gallia Academy 24 after 3 ... as they say "defense travels" the U even being unable to get separation offensively they were able to make the points they did get count by limiting the points by the Blue Devils - the Shermans for the 3rd period in a row held GAHS offensively to under double digits holding the Blue Devils to only 8 points in the period EVEN if GAHS held the U scoreless in the 4th the U survives and advances to the Sweet 16 ... for the second straight district game the U was led by DeSean Branson in the scoring column who added 9 points in the 4th (16 pts for the game) ... Isaac Little went 2/3 from the line (11 for the game) ... for Gallia Cooper Davis added 2 pts from the line, Fellure 4 pts, and the big man down low closed out the scoring with 2 in the period (11 for the game) ... the U punching their Gold Ticket to regional play ... Unioto 47 Gallia Academy 32 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" napkin stats - Gallia Academy

Scoring ... Isaac Clary 11, Brody Fellure 9, Carson Call 8, Cooper Davis 2, Kenyon Franklin 2
3 pointers ... 1/9 ... Brody Fellure 1
FTs ... 11/18
TOs ... 18
PnP ... 9 fgs/ 18 points in the paint
PnT ... 0
Pbck ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... great run by the youngin's of Coach Harrison ... a year away and they get the experience playing for a district championship ... the pieces are there ! starting with THAT man in the middle ... building the offense around him but don't make him THE show ... have to be able to take and hit the perimeter shot to pull the defense out, opening up the passing lanes to Clary on the block ... only one basket outside the paint by the Blue Devils ... with that said - well done ! ... earned a good starting position in the Pre-season Elite 8 and are on the radar for all to watch in the 2021-22 season ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" napkin stats - Unioto

Scoring ... DeSean Branson 16, Isaac Little 15, Trayvion Galloway 11, Evan Park 3, Cameron DeBord 2
3 Pointers ... 5/13 ... Isaac Little 2, Evan Park 1, Trayvion Galloway 1, DeSean Branson 1
FTs ... 10/13
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 9 fgs/ 18 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4points in transition
Pbck ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... Defense , Defense and more Defense ... the athleticism, the depth of the U along with being able to play solid on the ball defense got them into the Sweet 16 ... Sir Isaac Little/Gunnar Greenwalt/Cameron Debord handled the perimeter pressure well enough to keep the transition game of GAHS to zero points which was HUGE in a game where points on both sides were like gold ... Branson showed how special he IS at both ends of the floor along with Mr, Galloway in the paint ... 27 points between them ... welcome to the D2 Sweet 16 !...

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Unioto 47 Gallia Academy 32 District D2 Final final

Post by mlittle »

2 games in a row We had the battle of the Isaac’s. The better Isaac prevails again lol.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Pfloyd, very good rundown as always. I tried getting some stats earlier from mlittle, but as you would expect they were pretty sparse. Lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:45 pm Pfloyd, very good rundown as always. I tried getting some stats earlier from mlittle, but as you would expect they were pretty sparse. Lol
LOL ... mlittle is in public relations on SEOPs - doesn't focus on ALL of the napkin stats LOL ... it's a dad thing - when your son is a senior - when every game IS truly a " one and done" game in more ways than one ... mlittle's a good guy and good for SEOPs ...

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:45 pm Pfloyd, very good rundown as always. I tried getting some stats earlier from mlittle, but as you would expect they were pretty sparse. Lol
I’d already drank 6 beers through my funnel hat from from high school.... I mean college. Plus a glass of bourbon. Cut me a little slack

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:05 pm
LOL ... mlittle is in public relations on SEOPs - doesn't focus on ALL of the napkin stats LOL ... it's a dad thing - when your son is a senior - when every game IS truly a " one and done" game in more ways than one ... mlittle's a good guy and good for SEOPs ...
It’s hitting hard ole bud it’s hitting hard. Only thing keeping me together is my 8th grader. I get to torture people at least 4 more years lol.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mlittle wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:32 pm
It’s hitting hard ole bud it’s hitting hard. Only thing keeping me together is my 8th grader. I get to torture people at least 4 more years lol.
LOL, I was getting ready to post just THAT ! that there IS another Little on the way to the courts of the U in the near future ... enjoy the heck outta of this run by Ike and the U ... let young Little do his thing and make you proud as well ... memories - make them for as long as you can ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Is it too early to tell or is your 8th grader going to be a point guard like his older brother?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Is it too early to tell or is your 8th grader going to be a point guard like his older brother?
He’ll more than likely be a wing player but who knows. He’s about 6’0-6’1” right now and still growing.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to Unioto and Coach Hoops on their district championship.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Congrats to the U on a nice win...now go get a regional championship!

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Congrats to Coach Hoops on another District Title. Good luck in Regionals...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:27 am

He’ll more than likely be a wing player but who knows. He’s about 6’0-6’1” right now and still growing.
Jelly

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:37 pm
mlittle wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:27 am

Jelly
He couldn’t bench press a twizzler tho.

Big Daddy 7371
Varsity

Post by Big Daddy 7371 »

Congratulations to the U for another district Championship

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Big Daddy 7371 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:11 am Congratulations to the U for another district Championship
Thanks big daddy. Sounds really weird when I says that out loud lol

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

mlittle wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:59 pm
Big Daddy 7371 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:11 am Congratulations to the U for another district Championship
I’m sure you’ve said it plenty of times before... haha

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

transplant wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:25 pm
mlittle wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:59 pm
I’m sure you’ve said it plenty of times before... haha
I have. And it sounds weird every time

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

This Gallia team with hard work in the off season and get some good out side shooting a little more help in side could make a run to the big dance.

Return to “Boys Basketball”