Scott Aronhalt (Zanesville) retires after 31 years

formerfcfan
SEOP

Scott Aronhalt (Zanesville) retires after 31 years

Post by formerfcfan »

https://amp.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com ... ssion=true

466-254; one D1 State Championship and two Regional Championships.

Not only has a great coach retired, but an institution has as well.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Scott Aronhalt (Zanesville) retires after 31 years

Post by pfloyd »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:55 pm https://amp.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com ... ssion=true

466-254; one D1 State Championship and two Regional Championships.

Not only has a great coach retired, but an institution has as well.
... Coach Aronhalt is an outstanding coach - as proven by his career record at ZHS ... as a fan of high school hoops I ALWAYS made it point to travel to Zanesville to see the "product" Coach Aronhalt put on the court ... ALWAYS outstanding defense, taught/preached fundamentals at both ends of the court ... wishing Coach the best in his retirement ...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Cedric Harris getting the job?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:25 pm Cedric Harris getting the job?
Hopefully. Congrats to Coach A on a HOF career. I’m sure he’ll be around !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats to Coach Scott Aronhalt on a great career.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Coach Aronhalt appears to be staying on as the AD, which should make an easier transition for whomever takes it over.

Whale of a career for Coach and congratulations into retirement!

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

Aronhalt is a fantastic coach. Loved watching the Blue Devils dive across the floor to finish their pregame warm-up.

What has happened there? Talent pool must be pretty low.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I remember watching undefeated Zanesville win the Division 1 state championship in 1995, and also watched the Blue Devils at the state in 1997 and 2010. Coach Aronhalt had a great career, and his son, Logan, scored his 1,000 point in a game at Portsmouth when the two schools were in the SEOAL. We stopped the game and honored his accomplishment even though we were getting routed by ZHS.

I have been to Winland Gymnasium and it's seating configuration is one of the most interesting I've seen.

Based on the last couple of years, it looks like the talent has run dry at ZHS. 5 wins 2 years ago, and 4 wins this year. Never thought that Zanesville would go through a struggle like this but my Portsmouth Trojans are going through the same thing. Zanesville is top 20 in wins all time in Ohio.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

I can't believe I can still log in to this site. LOL

trojandave -- you're thinking of our old HS gym. That was torn down after the 2009-10 season, along with the old high school. Hard to believe we've been in our "new" one for 11 seasons already. Total seating not much less than the old one ... and ceiling is much higher. :D

Logan is now a lieutenant in the US Navy, specializing in human performance relative to training pilots. The kid is extremely intelligent and driven. He played well at UAlbany, graduated, and then played one solid year at Maryland while pursuing his masters degree.

As the ZHS SID, I've been spending a lot time compiling all of Scott's career information as there are those who are wanting to put him in some halls of fame. If you really know Scott, he truly doesn't want all of that stuff, but it's inevitable. A state title, a state runner-up, another state Final Four, 13 Coach of the Year awards (including OHSBCA in 1995), 11 conference championships (though there were a number of years in there when we were independent), 10 district championships. And he never purposely "scheduled wins." He loved to get games against the best programs he could find. Wasn't afraid to lose.

Also glad he's sticking around for awhile as the AD. He's done a great job with that, too, and I can't imagine what he'll accomplish now that it's his sole focus.

As for the talent level here, yeah, it's run a little dry. KIds have changed, for sure. Don't really want to put in the time. But that's pretty much true across all of our athletics right now. I know Scott's biggest "joy" was teaching the game, and he will miss that. We feel he did a great job mentoring Cedric, who's the first new ZHS boys basketball coach since Scott was hired in 1990. We hope things begin to turn around a bit this year.

Hope all y'all are doing well.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Congrats Coach A. HOF career Cedric will do fine They’ll be fine couple years done the road Good luck 👍

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Zanes-Vegas wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:46 pm I can't believe I can still log in to this site. LOL

trojandave -- you're thinking of our old HS gym. That was torn down after the 2009-10 season, along with the old high school. Hard to believe we've been in our "new" one for 11 seasons already. Total seating not much less than the old one ... and ceiling is much higher. :D

Logan is now a lieutenant in the US Navy, specializing in human performance relative to training pilots. The kid is extremely intelligent and driven. He played well at UAlbany, graduated, and then played one solid year at Maryland while pursuing his masters degree.

As the ZHS SID, I've been spending a lot time compiling all of Scott's career information as there are those who are wanting to put him in some halls of fame. If you really know Scott, he truly doesn't want all of that stuff, but it's inevitable. A state title, a state runner-up, another state Final Four, 13 Coach of the Year awards (including OHSBCA in 1995), 11 conference championships (though there were a number of years in there when we were independent), 10 district championships. And he never purposely "scheduled wins." He loved to get games against the best programs he could find. Wasn't afraid to lose.

Also glad he's sticking around for awhile as the AD. He's done a great job with that, too, and I can't imagine what he'll accomplish now that it's his sole focus.

As for the talent level here, yeah, it's run a little dry. KIds have changed, for sure. Don't really want to put in the time. But that's pretty much true across all of our athletics right now. I know Scott's biggest "joy" was teaching the game, and he will miss that. We feel he did a great job mentoring Cedric, who's the first new ZHS boys basketball coach since Scott was hired in 1990. We hope things begin to turn around a bit this year.

Hope all y'all are doing well.
Zanes-Vegas!!! I was smiling the whole time reading your post - due to reading the accomplishments of Coach A (as I watched him build ALL of those LOL I'm old !) and secondly seeing your SEOPs moniker again on the board !!! always good to read posts from those that I respect and have respected for their knowledge of the game and contributions to the website ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”