Offseason Rumblings

Snotnose
Riding the Bench

Offseason Rumblings

Post by Snotnose »

transplant wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:50 am Clay's boys, no not a very attractive job and not much coming up to get better. The girls coach will probably come back. With Huntington looking for two coaches, it will get interesting. I'm already hearing parents want certain coaches, but not sure the board will side with them. We will see.
Posts on the girls forum that pertain to boys. Sounds like a mess. What in the world has sports gotten to?

transplant
SE

Re: Offseason Rumblings

Post by transplant »

I didn't post for it to sound messy. The Clay boys coach resigned on his own for personal reasons. As for Huntington, the boys coach resigned on his own as well. I think parents want what is best for their kids and are voicing opinions on that. We will see hoe everything plays out.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

It’s that time of year again for 99% of teams now.
Post em up.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

transplant wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 am I didn't post for it to sound messy. The Clay boys coach resigned on his own for personal reasons. As for Huntington, the boys coach resigned on his own as well. I think parents want what is best for their kids and are voicing opinions on that. We will see hoe everything plays out.
Never understood why he left ND for Clay anyways. No pressure to win big at ND while Clay talent had just been drained at the time with no help on the horizon*

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:01 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 am I didn't post for it to sound messy. The Clay boys coach resigned on his own for personal reasons. As for Huntington, the boys coach resigned on his own as well. I think parents want what is best for their kids and are voicing opinions on that. We will see hoe everything plays out.
Never understood why he left ND for Clay anyways. No pressure to win big at ND while Clay talent had just been drained at the time with no help on the horizon*
Wondered that also. Notre Dame has alot of talent coming up. I'm hearing they are adding some to the Varsity also.
They'll be really good next year.
Last edited by BigBlueNation on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Me either. Clay will struggle for a few years. I want to say they only have 2 8th graders that play basketball. Might be hard for them to field a JV team next year.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

BigBlueNation wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:12 am
Wondered that also. Notre Dame has alot of talent coming up. I'm hearing they are adding some to the Varsity also.
Even before “adding” any more talent, I had ND on top of SOC I for next 2 years. And after that, junior high just ran through SOC I undefeated. Some big years coming at ND and Mader a solid coach who get everything he can out of his players.*

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

If he’s a teacher then the move to Clay makes sense.

Notre Dame doesn’t pay into STRS

I understand they had their second child ? Or at least a new baby and I gather he wasn’t a coaching lifer and chose more family time - which is never a bad decision.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:57 am If he’s a teacher then the move to Clay makes sense.

Notre Dame doesn’t pay into STRS

I understand they had their second child ? Or at least a new baby and I gather he wasn’t a coaching lifer and chose more family time - which is never a bad decision.
He is not a teacher. Just had his first child in Feb. We have talked numerous times, def chose more family time. I agree, never a bad decision. He wants to get back in the game at come point, maybe as an assistant or something. But family comes first.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Good for him.

My nephew was a junior on his team this past season and I knew he was stepping down for family reasons.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yeah, I agree, good for him. Clay will def struggle to get good applicants and struggle to compete for a few years I think. They are in a tough spot.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Yes. My wife’s Brother whose son plays for Clay has never been one to stretch the truth and he told her it wasn’t a coaching issue. Lack of depth and talent and not a great deal on the way. Small school cycles.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Right, not a good combination if you want to be a successful program. Only have 2 8th graders move up, and assuming everyone stays from last years team, they will struggle to have a jv team. Then that makes it even harder to develop a program. I dont see a successful cycle like the one Clay had a few years ago for a while there.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:15 am

Even before “adding” any more talent, I had ND on top of SOC I for next 2 years. And after that, junior high just ran through SOC I undefeated. Some big years coming at ND and Mader a solid coach who get everything he can out of his players.*
Agreed. But ND did just get a lot better.

I do not see anyone in the SOC I challenging them for the next couple of years.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Crab's Brother wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:54 am
art_vandelay wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:15 am

Agreed. But ND did just get a lot better.

I do not see anyone in the SOC I challenging them for the next couple of years.
crab: I haven't heard the rumblings you and Big Blue are talking about, but sounds like a done deal whoever it involves. Depending on who the addition(s) is, ND may now be in Regionals conversation in D4 next year.*

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Isn't the transfer rule still enforced that players must sit out second half of regular season and tournament play?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Fan of the youth wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:32 pm Isn't the transfer rule still enforced that players must sit out second half of regular season and tournament play?
If that was the case wouldn’t the voire boys have sat out half of last season? I know Clark was out at the beginning of last season?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Fan of the youth wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:32 pm Isn't the transfer rule still enforced that players must sit out second half of regular season and tournament play?
Not if the player actually physically moves in to the new district. Not sure how it applies to private schools though*

PVBearcat2012
Freshman Team

Post by PVBearcat2012 »

transplant wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:11 am Yeah, I agree, good for him. Clay will def struggle to get good applicants and struggle to compete for a few years I think. They are in a tough spot.
Any chance Horton applies for it? He sat on the bench this past season after leaving Valley.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

PVBearcat2012 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm
transplant wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:11 am Yeah, I agree, good for him. Clay will def struggle to get good applicants and struggle to compete for a few years I think. They are in a tough spot.
Any chance Horton applies for it? He sat on the bench this past season after leaving Valley.
I don't know, he might. If he wants to be a Head Coach again, he probably will apply.

Return to “Boys Basketball”