New Boston 44 Hiland 39 final - Going to the SHOW !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

New Boston 44 Hiland 39 final - Going to the SHOW !!!

Post by pfloyd »

New Boston 44
Berlin Hiland 39 a final

... March 16 , 2019 ... New Boston vs Berlin Hiland, Regional Final , Basketball :30, at the Roundhouse on Richland in Athens ... my Tigers were out played, out classed 75-32 as the Hawks walked into the final 4 in C'bus winning the SE Regional ... fast forward to 2021 ... SE Regional final , New Boston vs Berlin Hiland, NO Basketball :30, Southeastern HS outside of Chillicothe, the Covid Season ... limited fans in the stands ... sometimes getting "spanked" makes you stronger, in basketball - getting spanked makes the good teams - work harder, set goals, work their butts off to reach said goals ... and as fate would have it you get the added incentive to play against THAT team that dished out "the lesson" to begin with ... New Boston 44 Berlin Hiland 39 a final ... lessons learned ...

... Woohoo !!! I watched the livestream in real time, then I had to watch the game a 2nd time this time watching the Hiland broadcast local livestream with commentary - yeah, just like pinching yourself to see if something is real - it's real the Tigers are going to the SHOW !!!

... great game to watch !!! Berlin Hiland is always a team that comes into games playing fundamentally sound at both ends, they don't beat themselves ... the game opened with a Grant Miller triple from deep - game on ... the Hawks lacked size, but were deep off the bench playing 8 ... New Boston on the otherhand had the size advantage with 6-5 Kyle Sexton, 6-6 Chase Clark, 6-2 Devon Jones, 6-1 Tanner Voiers ... limited bench-playing literally 1 off the bench - Brady Voiers (jr) ... one off the bench means foul trouble is MORE than a problem - in regional play/a 1 deep bench is like signing a "one and done" contract ... NB got in foul trouble early as Devon Jones picked up 2 fouls in the opening period - bench time ... bring on Brady Voiers - who knew that Brady Voiers would play MORE minutes than starter Devon Jones while putting up the biggest points of the game in the 4th period to send NB to Dayton ... but I digress - Hiland showed their strength - perimeter scoring - in the first qtr, the Hawks went 3/6 from downtown ... getting the 3 from Grant Miller to open the game, followed by treys from Isaac Slabagh & Caden Miller both off the bench ... a deuce from Tony Yoder/ Ryan Miller went 1/2 from the FT line to round out the Hawks scoring in the opening period ... for the Tigers Kyle Sexton dropped a 3 ball & 2/4 from the line for 5 pts/ Devon Jones added a 2 pointer before taking a seat ... Grady Jackson/Tanner Voiers each picked up a FT ... Hiland 12 New Boston 9 after one ... defense by the Tigers controlled play in the 2nd period led by Grady Jackson's effort in holding BH senior guard Will Schlabach to 0 pts in the first half, Schlabach came into the game averaging 17.5 ppg in the post season - nothing to show in the opening half - outstanding ... NB out rebounded the Hawks 21-14 in the first 2 qtrs ... Hiland known for on ball pressure wasn't able to turn the Tigers over on the perimeter - as NB had only 2 TOs by intermission while the Tigers turned Hiland over 4 times in the same period ... the Tigers didn't give Hiland a chance to feel like the 2021 meeting between the 2 teams would in any way BE like 2019's regional final as the Tigers outscored the Hawks 17-9 in the 2nd while getting separation behind back to back triples from Tanner Voiers, Devon Jones added a 3 ball before getting foul #3, Jackson add a 2 pointer, Sexton stayed solid adding 4 pts, Clark with 2/2 from the charity stripe ... for Berlin Hiland Dylan Weaver added 5 points with a trey ,Ryan Miller added 2 points, Isaac Slabagh 2/2 from the line for the Hiland 9 points in the qtr ... with Jackson putting the clamps on Schlabach (0 pts) & Tanner Voiers draining NBA 3's offensively the Tigers went into intermission with the lead NB 26 BH 21 at the half ... when you get to the Regional finals your opponent whoever it is IS good ... coaches make adjustments ... Hiland was going to get back into the game THAT was a given ... the Hawks turned up the D, outscoring New Boston 14-9 in the period to knot the score at 35-35 ... NB went to their bread and butter in the paint - Kyle Sexton - in the 3rd as the big man worked hard under the bucket to get 6 points at the rim , Tanner Voiers opened the period where in left off before the half by draining his 3rd triple of the game ... the Hawks shut everyone else down in the period for NB ... Hiland's Will Schlabach worked hard to get on the board going 2/4 from the line, and adding a deuce to go with his first and only 3 pointer (7 points in the period), Dylan Weaver dropped a three , and Ryan Miller 4 points in the paint ... New Boston 35 Hiland 35 after 3 ... New Boston threw the first punch of the 4th qtr as Tanner Voiers threw in a 3 from deep ( his 4th triple of the game 4/5 from downtown on his own ball) ... enter brother Brady Voiers, back in the game as Jones was involved in a double technical called play with Tony Yoder - both assessed a T with Jones taking a seat again, this time permanently with his 5th personal ... leading 38-37 (after Schlabach 2 points)Voiers "the younger" drove to the rim putting up an off balance shot - boom - NB went up 40-37 ... empty possession for Hiland ... Jackson on the drive found B. Vioers cutting to the rim, 2 points on the Jackson dime ... 42-37 NB 4:07 on the clock ... the score stayed at 42-37 until Grant Miller drew a blocking foul on Kyle Sexton (Sexton's 4th) with 2:57 to play ... Miller hit both FTs NB 42-39 ... Hiland went 0/7 from behind the arc in the 4th ... New Boston hurt their own cause by turning the ball over 4 times in the final period ... the score remained 42-39 Tigers when the ball went out of bounds to the Tigers with :07.8 to play ... Chase Clark went deep, he came open deep on the full court pass for the final 2 points of the game, sending New Boston to Dayton to take on Columbus Grove in one of the D4 semi's next Saturday , the first time since 1960 ( Leroy Frazier/ Coach Pellegrinon era Tigers) ... New Boston 44 Berlin Hiland 39 a final - redemption ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" napkin stats - Berlin Hiland

Scoring ... Will Schlabach 9, Dylan Weaver 8, Ryan Miller 7, Isaac Slabagh 5, Grant Miller 5, Caden Miller 3, Tony Yoder 2
3 Pointers ... 6/23 ... Dylan Weaver 2, Will Schlabach 1,Caden Miller 1, Grant Miller 1, Isaac Slabagh 1
FTs ... 7/12
TOs ... 7
PnP ... 6 fgs/ 12 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fgs/ 2 points in transition
Pbck ... 0

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" napkin stats - New Boston

Scoring ... Kyle Sexton 15, Tanner Voiers 13, Devon Jones 5, Chase Clark 4, Brady Voiers 4, Grady Jackson 3
3 Pointers ... 6/12 ... Tanner Voiers 4, Devon Jones 1, Kyle Sexton 1
FTs ... 8/14
TOs ... 8
PnP ... 9 fgs/ 18 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbck ... 1 fg/ 2 points on putback buckets

... Congratulations Coach Adam Cox & the Tiger Gang !!! going to the Show ! representing the SE district and teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... tomorrow Fairland goes up against Worthington Christian in the D3 final to try to give the SE district 2 teams the State finals ... my player of the game - Brady Voiers off the bench , he was outstanding at both ends of the court- clutch in that 4th period in giving NB separation ... TEAM Tigers defensively earn props in holding Hiland to 39 points, but individually I give the defensive game ball to Grady Jackson for his D vs Will Schlabach - keeping the sharpshooting guard in the park all game ... some additional napkins stats NB outrebounded Berlin Hiland 36-29 on the game, Kyle Sexton had a double double 15 pts/10 boards ... Chase Clark pulled down 8 boards on the game with 4 blocked shots ... Tanner Voiers 4/5 from behind the 3 point line ... the over all play of the Tigers from 2019 in losing to Hiland by 43 points to tonight's 5 point W 44-39 is night and day ... TEAM play, TEAM defense, control/patience offensively ... NB showed they could play in the half court, a team that can play and win when an opponent takes away the transition game ... well done Coach Cox , YOU have grown as a coach in getting your TEAM prepared to play ... proud to be a Tiger I am - pfloyd ...

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: New Boston 44 Hiland 39 final - Going to the SHOW !!!

Post by LucasDavenport »

I thought we might see this recap early this morning.

Congrats my friend!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Point blank
Freshman Team

Post by Point blank »

Thanks

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Congratulations to your Tigers pfloyd.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Congratulations NB. Don't settle. Quite an accomplishment and good luck next week. Rare air so breathe it in and make more memories!!!!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Excellent recap pfloyd! Congratulations Tigers!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

a_c_m wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:50 am Excellent recap pfloyd! Congratulations Tigers!
... the only thing missing was what I imagined after the game hearing Lou Horvath " ... Congratulations to Coach Cox & Glenwood High School - the SE District D4 Regional Champions ... your Tigers ARE GOING TO THE FINAL FOUR!!! ..."

... best of luck to the Tiger Gang in Dayton next weekend !!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the New Boston Tigers on their regional championship and a berth in the Final 4. This is NB's 3rd state tournament appearance, having first appeared in 1938 and then again in 1960. Their opponent in the state semifinal, Columbus Grove, is the same school that South Webster defeated in the 2006 State Championship game.

I don't know who is the favorite for the D4 state title, but I do know from having been to the state tournament for 35 consecutive years that underdogs win and favorites lose. New Boston has as much of a chance to win as any of the other teams. The Tigers beat the Central District and the East District to get to the Final 4, so they have won outside the SE district.

Hopefully the OHSAA will allow a good number of Tiger supporters to follow the team to Dayton.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

650 tickets per school (and maybe more, that was the listed minimum)

They severely limited the coaches tickets this year for obvious reasons. I think it may have been limited to board members and even then, they got few. Just so they could get more fans from each school to make it.

Richmond Heights is the overwhelming favorite to win the title, but I can see New Boston knocking off Columbus Grove. If that happens, then they’ll give RH all they want. I look forward to the contest on Friday.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

@pfloyd needs a ticket!!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:41 am 650 tickets per school (and maybe more, that was the listed minimum)

They severely limited the coaches tickets this year for obvious reasons. I think it may have been limited to board members and even then, they got few. Just so they could get more fans from each school to make it.

Richmond Heights is the overwhelming favorite to win the title, but I can see New Boston knocking off Columbus Grove. If that happens, then they’ll give RH all they want. I look forward to the contest on Friday.
Will be nice for the actual fans of the games to hopefully get to sit on the sides and enjoy there teams playing instead of stuck on the ends and the corners.

Return to “Boys Basketball”