Sport season and Covid safeguards

mglight88
SE

Sport season and Covid safeguards

Post by mglight88 »

Can someone explain to me what happened to Covid safeguards during basketball season and tournament. During seaon play, Schools could only have 15 percent cap for games players had to be in masks on the bench, but come regionals and state, bleachers were nearly full at southeastern. State game at Dayton, both team benches no masks, coaches no masks, players and coaches were high fiving and hugging each other.
Rules for spring. masks to be worn, no high fives, no hand shakes, no fist bumps. no celebrating homeruns, six feet distance in dugouts. Now most schools will suopport 15 player rosters, three coaches, statistician, and trainer, and most school dugouts are the same size. No possible way all could keep 6 feet distance.
I understand about safety concearns, but if inside gym during tourmnents cn alter Covid rules, why would spring sports (Outside) go back to extreme.
Anyone thoughts ?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Sport season and Covid safeguards

Post by formerfcfan »

mglight88 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm Can someone explain to me what happened to Covid safeguards during basketball season and tournament. During seaon play, Schools could only have 15 percent cap for games players had to be in masks on the bench, but come regionals and state, bleachers were nearly full at southeastern. State game at Dayton, both team benches no masks, coaches no masks, players and coaches were high fiving and hugging each other.
Rules for spring. masks to be worn, no high fives, no hand shakes, no fist bumps. no celebrating homeruns, six feet distance in dugouts. Now most schools will suopport 15 player rosters, three coaches, statistician, and trainer, and most school dugouts are the same size. No possible way all could keep 6 feet distance.
I understand about safety concearns, but if inside gym during tourmnents cn alter Covid rules, why would spring sports (Outside) go back to extreme.
Anyone thoughts ?
I am 99% sure what I just bolded are actually the new rules coming down from NFHS for Spring 2021.

The capacity rule is Ohio Department of Health's order. For Spring, the health order has been amended to allow 30% of the fixed seated capacity. Bear in mind that once Ohio's COVID cases -- over the two-week rolling average -- dips below 50cases/100k, those orders immediately are abolished according to Governor DeWine.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

I agree with that. but that was a two part-er, why during regular season and region tournament season for both fall and winter sports, have different rules and spring outdoor sports have to follow simular fall and winter regular season rules, but regional and state tournament doesn';t have to follow

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Yeah the gym was packed for all the games I watched from Southeastern. Kinda salty about it

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:56 pm Yeah the gym was packed for all the games I watched from Southeastern. Kinda salty about it
We got 250 tickets and it seemed like 75% of our side was packed instead of 25%

I went to other sessions and was able to safely distance in the end sections, but it felt like way more than 25%.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

In military parlance it is called a WAG. It has been a WAG since the beginning. As always the case, the common folks have no choice or say in the matter.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

FIDO wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:50 pm In military parlance it is called a WAG. It has been a WAG since the beginning. As always the case, the common folks have no choice or say in the matter.
Dewine = Wagner
We all know what Wagner loves

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Election is over, it’s going normal soon, they have to slowly do it or else they’ll prove what we already know. The magic vaccine and masked are magically working now. Stay tuned for the next pandemic if they don’t get what they want next time.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

I’m predicting mass leprosy outbreak in March 2024

Return to “Boys Basketball”