Jr High

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Jr High

Post by mlittle »

wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:18 am The Roberts kid is the best prospect. My assumption on Montgomery will be point production comes down when the physicality of the game increases. That’s why I think Roberts will be the best prospect of the two.
Not saying you’re wrong about Roberts, but the Montgomery kid is gonna score at any level he wants regardless of his size. He’s the most offensively gifted scorer I’ve seen at that level maybe ever. And the last time I watched he was in the 6th grade.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

mlittle wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:14 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:18 am The Roberts kid is the best prospect. My assumption on Montgomery will be point production comes down when the physicality of the game increases. That’s why I think Roberts will be the best prospect of the two.
Not saying you’re wrong about Roberts, but the Montgomery kid is gonna score at any level he wants regardless of his size. He’s the most offensively gifted scorer I’ve seen at that level maybe ever. And the last time I watched he was in the 6th grade.
You may be right but I’ll have to see if he can handle the strength as he continues.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

He will be fine.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

wobycat wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:24 pm
You may be right but I’ll have to see if he can handle the strength as he continues.
Wallis and Robertson didn’t seem to have issue with it. And IMO this kid is ahead of where they were at that age. Again I haven’t seen him since sixth grade.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

mlittle wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:32 pm

Wallis and Robertson didn’t seem to have issue with it. And IMO this kid is ahead of where they were at that age. Again I haven’t seen him since sixth grade.
He also has a tremendous work ethic. He plays against older kids all the time. He fears no one on the court. I have seen him handle himself pretty well against some top competition. He will be fine.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BigBlueNation wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:57 pm

He also has a tremendous work ethic. He plays against older kids all the time. He fears no one on the court. I have seen him handle himself pretty well against some top competition. He will be fine.
Nice. Sounds like The senior from fairland I heard was just like this kid.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Minford HS team will probably be the best in the area here in about 3 years or so. They've got the 8th grade guys and they have a really good 7th grader and I just heard easterns really good 7th grader just went down there. All guards.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Well Wallis was a 5’0 freshman and Trey was maybe 5’3..what size is Montgomery?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:56 pm

Well Wallis was a 5’0 freshman and Trey was maybe 5’3..what size is Montgomery?
Not sure. He wasn’t very big last time I seen him

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Montgomery is probably around 5'9" or so already. I'm not sure if he'll grow a whole lot more, though.

His game will translate to high school pretty quickly. Talented kid from a good family. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility he averages around 15 ppg as a freshman next year.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:02 am Montgomery is probably around 5'9" or so already. I'm not sure if he'll grow a whole lot more, though.

His game will translate to high school pretty quickly. Talented kid from a good family. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility he averages around 15 ppg as a freshman next year.
That's what I think also.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Luke Stine of the Portsmouth 8th grade. Looks like the Trojan varsity may finally have a true big with some good basketball skills at both ends of the court. He could very well be pressed into varsity action next season by sheer need of a post presence. 6-2 or 6-3 now and probably will grow to 6-5 or taller.

Also I'm keeping an eye on the Froe kid (first name?) from the PJHS 8th grade. Watched him in the OVC tournament, and he showed some nice skills as well. With Portsmouth not fielding a freshmen team, he's definitely good enough to make an impact on the JV squad.

Probably won't happen next year, but in 2 years I can see the Trojan varsity getting back to the winning side of the ledger given the 8th grade group and freshmen DeAndre Berry and Devin Lattimore.

Rutter lover
JV Team

Post by Rutter lover »

I watched these 2 kids play a couple of weeks ago at the root in Gallipolis and the Roberts kid is a terrific scorer yes. But when he gets up to high school where kids are way more stronger he’ll struggle a little bit, however Montgomery is probably gonna be one of the best guards. In division 4 for the next 4 years.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Minford is solidly high D3. Webster high D4

Still though I look for these two to be SOC2 poy contenders

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:51 pm Minford is solidly high D3. Webster high D4

Next year?

Robertson going 28 ppg next year

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:35 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:51 pm Minford is solidly high D3. Webster high D4

Next year?

How about 23-24 and 24-25 POY candidates

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:16 am
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:35 pm

Next year?

How about 23-24 and 24-25 POY candidates
Yep

Waterboy

Post by 19901972 »

Whiteoak has a 7th grade team that has had four different players that have had 20 plus in a game three good gaurds a good post player and a wing that give 6 points a game pretty complete team led by coaches son Blair is good ball handler that can drive and shoot the ball well and will have pretty good size

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

19901972 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:32 pm Whiteoak has a 7th grade team that has had four different players that have had 20 plus in a game three good gaurds a good post player and a wing that give 6 points a game pretty complete team led by coaches son Blair is good ball handler that can drive and shoot the ball well and will have pretty good size
They had a nice season. Be interesting to see how they all grow. Blair probably get to 6’2 in high school. Scott might get to 6’0. Brandenburg might be a big strong 6’4 but might also not grow much more. Hamilton is a year older and doesn’t have the size of his talented brother, hopefully he shoots up a bit.

They keep working, stay focused and commit to defense and the small things they could have great high school success down the road.

bone1978
Waterboy

Post by bone1978 »

On the TVC front, the 7th grade was more competitive than the 8th IMO. Eastern has a couple nice groups. Same for River Valley. Southern had a great 7th grade group. Beat a nice split-squad Warren team to win the Nelsonville tourney. Pair them up with the freshman group at Southern this year in a few years and they may have something good.

Return to “Boys Basketball”