State Tournament at UD through 2024

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: State Tournament at UD through 2024

Post by trojandave »

Good move by the OHSAA.......I haven't been to UD Arena for quite a while, but when I did go it was a great facility to watch high school basketball. Saw a lot of SW Regional Finals there. More intense atmosphere than the Schott, and the concessions are excellent. Ample parking available without having to walk a long way like in Columbus.

Hopefully the Convo will be up and running for the SE district and regional tournaments in 2021-22. Absolutely one of the best places in the state to watch games. It was a big void to not have the tournaments there this past season. Portsmouth West won their first sectional since 1998 but didn't get to enjoy the trip to the Convo. "Basketball thirty" and Lou Horvath deserve to be back in their rightful place, although SE Ross did a very fine job handling the tournaments in place of the Convo.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Seen some big high school basketball games there over the years and the atmosphere was always awesome. Not a bad seat in the place*

Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

The only drawback to UD there is very few places within walking distance of there. At Ohio U and OSU, you can park your car and walk to a number of places. At Dayton, you have to jump in the car and go. But, with OSU showing they really don't have much desire for the tournaments, it is probably the best decision they could make. I think the Convo is the best place in Ohio to watch basketball but the lack of hotel rooms doom any chance.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Hotel are not as big an issue as the powers that be fail to realize the opportunities that are available and how to capitalize upon those opportunities. One reason enrollement is down 5k in the past 5 years.

Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Post by Buckeye1972 »

Pol Pot, you are much more in the know about the issues of OHSAA than I am. I have never really thought much about OU hosting the State Tournament. The loss in attendance thru the last 15 years has been alarming. Personally, a lot of people who I know that used to spend the weekend at the State haven't done it for a number of years.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

OU needs to pull the lower bowl out!!!!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Agreed. I guess they had some fans fight in the lower bowl a long time ago and did away with that ?

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

UD arena is a great venue, literally no bad seats in the place. The only bad thing is the distance for some of us but if you're fortunate enough to make it that far I'm sure there isn't a coach around that would complain. If you're someone going over to watch for the weekend, there isn't much very near by but the campus is really nice and parking is easily accessible. I do feel like it will likely hurt overall attendance.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

E High wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:30 am Agreed. I guess they had some fans fight in the lower bowl a long time ago and did away with that ?
Athens is the same way for the same reason.

Return to “Boys Basketball”