Shot clock approved as a state option in 2022-23

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

To be set at 35 seconds for each state that adopts it

https://nfhs.org/articles/shot-clock-al ... n-2022-23/

Buckeye1972
Freshman Team

Re: Shot clock approved as a state option in 2022-23

Post by Buckeye1972 »

I really don't remember the last game in our area that could use a shot clock. A lot of parents would have a coach fired if he tried to slow the game down and prevent their kids from getting their shots. Most of the low scoring games I have seen are the result of poor shooting. In particular it seems we have gotten away from the medium range - 10 to 15 foot shots - and are relying on the "3" or taking the ball to the basket. Maybe there are other areas that need the shot clock but I don't really see a need for it.

PVBearcat2012
Freshman Team

Post by PVBearcat2012 »

This is gonna be really interesting.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I wonder if anyone has broke down film of their games to see how long the average time of possession was for their team is/was? I think mostly it will only be a noticeable at the end of games.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm all for a shot clock and I hope it eventually will get approval in Ohio. Having a shot clock won't necessarily destroy the hopes of an underdog team of pulling off that monumental upset.

One tweak I would suggest is to turn the clock off the last 2 minutes of the game. There would still be plenty of drama and strategy in those last 120 seconds, and might put a lot of pressure on the highly favored team.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

trojandave wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:13 pm I'm all for a shot clock and I hope it eventually will get approval in Ohio. Having a shot clock won't necessarily destroy the hopes of an underdog team of pulling off that monumental upset.

One tweak I would suggest is to turn the clock off the last 2 minutes of the game. There would still be plenty of drama and strategy in those last 120 seconds, and might put a lot of pressure on the highly favored team.
Or go to the Elam Ending

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Or continue playing real basketball

Shot clock won’t make a difference in anything besides more wild shots being taken. Great defensive teams will still lock teams down and those teams will likely continue to run their offense as normal

It will stop games that are like 23-22 in the tournament in northwest Ohio though

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

More street ball and bad basketball.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Good defense in basketball is not holding the ball on offense, it's how many turnovers a team creates and opponents' FG pct. I hear incessantly about "this team played great defense" when all they did was hold the ball, yet their opponent shot 50% and only made 6 turnovers.

father time
Waterboy

Post by father time »

Good teams and coaches will adjust the poorly coached and less talented teams will struggle

E High
All State

Post by E High »

I’d be in favor of a 45 second shot clock ? That might a happy medium.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

Buckeye1972 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:23 am I really don't remember the last game in our area that could use a shot clock. A lot of parents would have a coach fired if he tried to slow the game down and prevent their kids from getting their shots. Most of the low scoring games I have seen are the result of poor shooting. In particular it seems we have gotten away from the medium range - 10 to 15 foot shots - and are relying on the "3" or taking the ball to the basket. Maybe there are other areas that need the shot clock but I don't really see a need for it.
The shot clock won't bother us, coaches and kids will adjust, the part of this post that stands out to me is the emphasis on not utilizing the midrange game. The numbers/analytics people push for threes/layups/free throws only and devalue midrange jumpers as not being efficient because they're harder than a layup and worth less than a three. I disagree, I think anyone who has played and truly understands basketball knows the value of being skilled in the midrange. Another area that seems to get worse each year is passing skills. Kids love to pound the ball but most are not skilled passers, very little anticipation and understanding of spacing. The team we play that does the best job spacing, cutting and passing is Fort Frye and they are always the toughest team to defend no matter the skill level of their players because they always play the game the right way.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

What I find interesting is the people I've talked to who argue for a shot clock are many times the same ones who wanted the running clock. :o

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!

Return to “Boys Basketball”