June shootout/scrimmage results

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

June shootout/scrimmage results

Post by AnkleBraces »

I know there was a decent size shootout at Leesburg today. Any results?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: June shootout/scrimmage results

Post by pfloyd »

The first installment of this summers Logan's Hoops in the Hills is tomorrow 6/09/21 with the varsity and jv boys using all 7 courts available on the Logan campus for games running from 5pm-9pm ... hoping to get out to see some of the SEOhio teams entered although Logan has a lot of teams from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line participating as well ... I believe Warren, Vinton County, Marietta, Eastern (not sure which one Eastern Brown?) will be playing ... it will be good running into Coach Maddox & Co. - going to have to negotiate getting the Purple Hippo painted SOMEWHERE in the NEW Warren Warrior Dome Part 2 !!!!

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:12 pm The first installment of this summers Logan's Hoops in the Hills is tomorrow 6/09/21 with the varsity and jv boys using all 7 courts available on the Logan campus for games running from 5pm-9pm ... hoping to get out to see some of the SEOhio teams entered although Logan has a lot of teams from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line participating as well ... I believe Warren, Vinton County, Marietta, Eastern (not sure which one Eastern Brown?) will be playing ... it will be good running into Coach Maddox & Co. - going to have to negotiate getting the Purple Hippo painted SOMEWHERE in the NEW Warren Warrior Dome Part 2 !!!!
Hope to see somewhat of a recap tomorrow Pfloyd!

Go Blue
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Teams that are committed for Logan today:
Logan
Upper Arlington
Lancaster
Shenandoah
Ready
St Charles
Mifflin
Vinton County
Hilliard Darby
Marysville
Warren
Marietta

and any last minute additions.

Live Like A Champion!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth scrimmaged Northwest and Piketon last night at Northwest. Quarter scores were not kept, and there were not officials, but it was a good look at the 3 teams who all had a good number of players accounted for. Of course a few were missing due to being out of town. I saw some good things from all 3 teams considering that summer basketball is a very unfinished product.

I don't know the rosters of Northwest and Piketon, but about half of Portsmouth's roster was comprised of freshmen and sophomores.

Portsmouth will be playing Russell (KY) on the 17th at PHS, then will play at Ashland Blazer's tournament/shootout on the June 18-20. I saw the list of teams playing and a couple of teams the Trojans will be playing are Breathitt County (KY) and Lima Senior (OH).

Portsmouth will then play Peebles at home on the 24th.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Huntington Ross is scrimmaging at Upper Sandusky today. Huntington went to the shootout at Fort Loramie last weekend, went 0-4, but got better each game and starting to learn their new offense. Things are looking up in the TWP.

Richard Noggin
Riding the Bench

Post by Richard Noggin »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 pm Portsmouth scrimmaged Northwest and Piketon last night at Northwest. Quarter scores were not kept, and there were not officials, but it was a good look at the 3 teams who all had a good number of players accounted for. Of course a few were missing due to being out of town. I saw some good things from all 3 teams considering that summer basketball is a very unfinished product.

I don't know the rosters of Northwest and Piketon, but about half of Portsmouth's roster was comprised of freshmen and sophomores.

Portsmouth will be playing Russell (KY) on the 17th at PHS, then will play at Ashland Blazer's tournament/shootout on the June 18-20. I saw the list of teams playing and a couple of teams the Trojans will be playing are Breathitt County (KY) and Lima Senior (OH).

Portsmouth will then play Peebles at home on the 24th.
#1 #10 #12 for Northwest are going to be Sophomores. They played with 3 juniors and 2 seniors lastnight. Had several kids not there, mainly jv kids. Not sure on Piketon though.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:53 pm
pfloyd wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:12 pm The first installment of this summers Logan's Hoops in the Hills is tomorrow 6/09/21 with the varsity and jv boys using all 7 courts available on the Logan campus for games running from 5pm-9pm ... hoping to get out to see some of the SEOhio teams entered although Logan has a lot of teams from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line participating as well ... I believe Warren, Vinton County, Marietta, Eastern (not sure which one Eastern Brown?) will be playing ... it will be good running into Coach Maddox & Co. - going to have to negotiate getting the Purple Hippo painted SOMEWHERE in the NEW Warren Warrior Dome Part 2 !!!!
LOL Whs95fan ! I did go out and watch some live, in-person hoops the other night ! felt good ! ... I watched a few games because I was talking most of the time ! LOL ... found out what I missed most about NOT seeing live games last season - I MISSED THE PEOPLE ! the coaches, the players ... I spent a bunch of time talking to Coach Maddox, Coach Mitchem, Coach Brad Venom from Warren before their game with Fairfield Union ... Coach Helber from FU ... Coach Beucler & Coach Unger from Eastern Brown ... THAT'S WHAT I MISSED ! talking hoops with the folks! ... I did watch Eastern Brown take on Shennandoah - Trent Hundley was outstanding last season and WILL BE outstanding THIS coming season - he's a stud ... another BIG was sidelined ... with Coach Beucler EB WILL play solid defense, offensively they will need to find perimeter scoring other than Hundley ... inside scoring will need to be developed for sure ... I take what I see with a grain of salt in the summer as players aren't there due to vacations/work/camps etc. but the "players" standout ... EB will be favored to win the SCOL imo ... Warren lost a bunch to graduation! -Kurt Taylor/Jake Baumgard/Joel Chevalier/Josh Welch/Seth Dennis BUT Coach Maddox DOES have some quality pieces to build around - Braydon Sallee (6-4)/Dennis Pettey/ Taylor "the younger" (6-6) ... Warren will struggle as they have to DEVELOP a varsity pg to begin with ... last year with Dennis/Chevalier outside in/inside out was allowed the offense to have a focus - everyone was able to do what they do naturally inside - catch/turn or drop step and up without having to put the ball on the floor ... Taylor the elder could spot up on the perimeter, Chevalier/Dennis the same ...Dennis could take a defender to the rim and be a threat to score or dish the ball ... ALL of that is a question mark ... Dennis Pettey will be a leader in my opinion - the senior had a outstanding season last year off the bench coming in with Welch in the rotation - strong physically, turned into a solid defender, and by season's end a good interior passer of the ball - summer ball will be important to Pettey and TEAM as he takes on a leadership role imo ... after those 3 ????? Warren has to find perimeter scoring ... Warren isn't tall BUT they have those wide shoulder players who imo can be effective interior scorers - able to create space with their physical builds ... better work on FT shooting because these guys will be going to the line ... Sallee is outstanding has to be a perimeter threat to create his opportunities to get to the rim with his 6-4 size ... Warren will be counting on the transition game to get points as they will struggle early in the half court, depth off the bench will have to be developed, a major question mark ... BUT Coach Maddox, Coach Coffman, Coach Mitchem are the brain trust that will be molding TEAM yet again - fundamentals will get them wins ... I won't lie, with the usual schedule that Warrior plays nonconference, the ECOL league schedule - .500 during the regular season will be a goal ... in person fans, a NEW school building opening up in August with a NEW WarriorDome - gotta love it !!! ... Logan imo should be outstanding next season - as the Purple only lost 1 senior ... a lot of players saw the floor last season - Ashton Mahaffey will be an 15+ point per game scorer, Tegan Myers will be back to full strength 15+ per game inside and outside , Mason Frasure handles the rock as well as anyone ... Owen Angle/6-5 Alford/Carson Hodson will be forces inside ... Brayden Sturgill got lots of playing time on the perimeter along with Max Black ... Logan should have all kinds of depth ... perimeter scoring with "crossing half court" range ... defensively the Chiefs will be physical and quick ... I'm looking forward to seeing Unioto @ Logan in the first week of December (3rd) as both are Elite 8 potential TEAMS (both in the preseason and @ season's end) ... Fairfield Union lost to Warren in the Shootout this week - new head coach in Coach Travis Shaeffer ... on a positive note FU has 13+ players for varsity, last season there were 13 in the entire 9-12 program ... I wish both Coach Shaeffer and Coach Helber the best in developing the FU program again ...

Vinton County was at the shootout, as was Eastern Reedsville neither of which I had an opportunity to see ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's starting 5 fared well vs. Waverly last night @WHS. The Tigers held a 19-18 edge after the first 10 minutes, and a 40-36 lead after 20 minutes of play. WHS got off to a 11-2 start, but the Trojans' quickness and the ability to get up and down the court fast got them back in the battle. Waverly has a very good club, with a mix of size and the outstanding play of Tre Robertson. Robertson wasn't hitting the trifecta, but he showed the skill of driving hard to the basket and finishing. The Trojans were tested on rebounds and putbacks by the Tigers' size advantage, but overall held their own.

Portsmouth played much better than they did vs. Northwest and Piketon last Tuesday.

Portsmouth's starting 5 last night was Donovan Carr 6-0, Drew Roe 5-9, Amare Johnson 5-9, Devin Lattimore 6-0, and Reid Pendleton 5-10.

The last 2 quarters were dominated by Waverly as the Tigers' bench outperformed Portsmouth's 2nd 5. Portsmouth was missing a couple of key players, but I assume Waverly was also.

Considering that Waverly is a heavy favorite to win the SOC II next season, this was a very good showing by the Trojans. If they can play at this level, and everyone can survive football season without injuries (the entire starting 5 plays football), PHS can move toward the top of the OVC. Their quickness will give opponents trouble.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

trojandave wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:49 am Portsmouth's starting 5 fared well vs. Waverly last night @WHS. The Tigers held a 19-18 edge after the first 10 minutes, and a 40-36 lead after 20 minutes of play. WHS got off to a 11-2 start, but the Trojans' quickness and the ability to get up and down the court fast got them back in the battle. Waverly has a very good club, with a mix of size and the outstanding play of Tre Robertson. Robertson wasn't hitting the trifecta, but he showed the skill of driving hard to the basket and finishing. The Trojans were tested on rebounds and putbacks by the Tigers' size advantage, but overall held their own.

Portsmouth played much better than they did vs. Northwest and Piketon last Tuesday.

Portsmouth's starting 5 last night was Donovan Carr 6-0, Drew Roe 5-9, Amare Johnson 5-9, Devin Lattimore 6-0, and Reid Pendleton 5-10.

The last 2 quarters were dominated by Waverly as the Tigers' bench outperformed Portsmouth's 2nd 5. Portsmouth was missing a couple of key players, but I assume Waverly was also.

Considering that Waverly is a heavy favorite to win the SOC II next season, this was a very good showing by the Trojans. If they can play at this level, and everyone can survive football season without injuries (the entire starting 5 plays football), PHS can move toward the top of the OVC. Their quickness will give opponents trouble.
What size did the Tigers have available?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

smurray: I checked the Tigers' roster on the "Waverly Tigers 20-21" thread, and there are 4 players 6-3 or taller.......Wolfe, Brown, Shanks, and Futhey. I was at the scrimmage and even though I don't know their names in person, I do know that the Tigers played at least 2-3 players of that size in the first 2 quarters and sporadically the rest of the scrimmage. One of them sprained his ankle but came back in later. Portsmouth's tallest player was freshman (next season) Luke Stine at 6-3, and he didn't start or play very much the first 2 quarters. The starting 5 for the Trojans was much undersized against the Tigers.

I told Coach Robertson after the scrimmage that there's no reason that Waverly shouldn't win the SOC II. They have a well balanced team and the difference maker in Tre Robertson.

As far as my Trojans, I think this is finally the year that they can move up out of the middle of the OVC. Plenty of quickness, but rebounding will be a season long challenge. Our kids just have to survive football season with no major injuries. A winning season is very possible with this group.

Richard Noggin
Riding the Bench

Post by Richard Noggin »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:32 pm smurray: I checked the Tigers' roster on the "Waverly Tigers 20-21" thread, and there are 4 players 6-3 or taller.......Wolfe, Brown, Shanks, and Futhey. I was at the scrimmage and even though I don't know their names in person, I do know that the Tigers played at least 2-3 players of that size in the first 2 quarters and sporadically the rest of the scrimmage. One of them sprained his ankle but came back in later. Portsmouth's tallest player was freshman (next season) Luke Stine at 6-3, and he didn't start or play very much the first 2 quarters. The starting 5 for the Trojans was much undersized against the Tigers.

I told Coach Robertson after the scrimmage that there's no reason that Waverly shouldn't win the SOC II. They have a well balanced team and the difference maker in Tre Robertson.

As far as my Trojans, I think this is finally the year that they can move up out of the middle of the OVC. Plenty of quickness, but rebounding will be a season long challenge. Our kids just have to survive football season with no major injuries. A winning season is very possible with this group.
Wolfe, Brown and Shanks graduated.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Richard Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:34 pm
trojandave wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:32 pm smurray: I checked the Tigers' roster on the "Waverly Tigers 20-21" thread, and there are 4 players 6-3 or taller.......Wolfe, Brown, Shanks, and Futhey. I was at the scrimmage and even though I don't know their names in person, I do know that the Tigers played at least 2-3 players of that size in the first 2 quarters and sporadically the rest of the scrimmage. One of them sprained his ankle but came back in later. Portsmouth's tallest player was freshman (next season) Luke Stine at 6-3, and he didn't start or play very much the first 2 quarters. The starting 5 for the Trojans was much undersized against the Tigers.

Wolfe, Brown and Shanks graduated.
You beat me to it. Shanks wasn’t even able to play with the injury.
The only one back from that group of bigs is Futhey. They do have Morrison playing his senior year but he’s not a big by any stretch of the imagination and didn’t play his other 3 years of HS.
I was curious if Hurd was there and how the Kelly boys looked?

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:22 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:53 pm
LOL Whs95fan ! I did go out and watch some live, in-person hoops the other night ! felt good ! ... I watched a few games because I was talking most of the time ! LOL ... found out what I missed most about NOT seeing live games last season - I MISSED THE PEOPLE ! the coaches, the players ... I spent a bunch of time talking to Coach Maddox, Coach Mitchem, Coach Brad Venom from Warren before their game with Fairfield Union ... Coach Helber from FU ... Coach Beucler & Coach Unger from Eastern Brown ... THAT'S WHAT I MISSED ! talking hoops with the folks! ... I did watch Eastern Brown take on Shennandoah - Trent Hundley was outstanding last season and WILL BE outstanding THIS coming season - he's a stud ... another BIG was sidelined ... with Coach Beucler EB WILL play solid defense, offensively they will need to find perimeter scoring other than Hundley ... inside scoring will need to be developed for sure ... I take what I see with a grain of salt in the summer as players aren't there due to vacations/work/camps etc. but the "players" standout ... EB will be favored to win the SCOL imo ... Warren lost a bunch to graduation! -Kurt Taylor/Jake Baumgard/Joel Chevalier/Josh Welch/Seth Dennis BUT Coach Maddox DOES have some quality pieces to build around - Braydon Sallee (6-4)/Dennis Pettey/ Taylor "the younger" (6-6) ... Warren will struggle as they have to DEVELOP a varsity pg to begin with ... last year with Dennis/Chevalier outside in/inside out was allowed the offense to have a focus - everyone was able to do what they do naturally inside - catch/turn or drop step and up without having to put the ball on the floor ... Taylor the elder could spot up on the perimeter, Chevalier/Dennis the same ...Dennis could take a defender to the rim and be a threat to score or dish the ball ... ALL of that is a question mark ... Dennis Pettey will be a leader in my opinion - the senior had a outstanding season last year off the bench coming in with Welch in the rotation - strong physically, turned into a solid defender, and by season's end a good interior passer of the ball - summer ball will be important to Pettey and TEAM as he takes on a leadership role imo ... after those 3 ????? Warren has to find perimeter scoring ... Warren isn't tall BUT they have those wide shoulder players who imo can be effective interior scorers - able to create space with their physical builds ... better work on FT shooting because these guys will be going to the line ... Sallee is outstanding has to be a perimeter threat to create his opportunities to get to the rim with his 6-4 size ... Warren will be counting on the transition game to get points as they will struggle early in the half court, depth off the bench will have to be developed, a major question mark ... BUT Coach Maddox, Coach Coffman, Coach Mitchem are the brain trust that will be molding TEAM yet again - fundamentals will get them wins ... I won't lie, with the usual schedule that Warrior plays nonconference, the ECOL league schedule - .500 during the regular season will be a goal ... in person fans, a NEW school building opening up in August with a NEW WarriorDome - gotta love it !!! ... Logan imo should be outstanding next season - as the Purple only lost 1 senior ... a lot of players saw the floor last season - Ashton Mahaffey will be an 15+ point per game scorer, Tegan Myers will be back to full strength 15+ per game inside and outside , Mason Frasure handles the rock as well as anyone ... Owen Angle/6-5 Alford/Carson Hodson will be forces inside ... Brayden Sturgill got lots of playing time on the perimeter along with Max Black ... Logan should have all kinds of depth ... perimeter scoring with "crossing half court" range ... defensively the Chiefs will be physical and quick ... I'm looking forward to seeing Unioto @ Logan in the first week of December (3rd) as both are Elite 8 potential TEAMS (both in the preseason and @ season's end) ... Fairfield Union lost to Warren in the Shootout this week - new head coach in Coach Travis Shaeffer ... on a positive note FU has 13+ players for varsity, last season there were 13 in the entire 9-12 program ... I wish both Coach Shaeffer and Coach Helber the best in developing the FU program again ...

Vinton County was at the shootout, as was Eastern Reedsville neither of which I had an opportunity to see ...

Haha always appreciate the write up Pfloyd. I think you're spot on about the Warren assessment, just excited to finally get into the new gym

Go Blue
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Richard Noggin and smurray: I was in error using the 20-21 roster, but I was at the scrimmage and Waverly had a decided height advantage.....that's all I'm saying. Whoever they were you know better than me. One of the players was clearly 6-5.....perhaps that was Futhey. There were a couple of others about 6-2 or 6-3. With Portsmouth starting 2 players 5-9, 1 at 5-10, with the tallest at 6-0, I think it's a clear assessment that the Trojans were undersized.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth played its best basketball of the summer so far with a convincing 89-62 win over Russell (KY) in five 10 minute running quarters. The Trojans jumped to a 23-14 lead, and had as much as a 30 point margin. Not only did the starting 5 play well, but in this scrimmage the bench was outstanding. Portsmouth's quickness pretty much overwhelmed the Red Devils, and the Trojans got a lot of points playing fast up the court.

Portsmouth plays at the Ashland Shootout today vs. Belfry and Boyd County, then plays Saturday vs. Dublin Coffman.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West Varsity was 7-3 at the Finlay Camp beating and competing against some really good teams known for basketball success

4-0 at Logan

Won all 6 quarters at Notre Dame yesterday including a 30 to 11 score in the first quarter

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth defeated Belfry (KY) and lost to Boyd County (KY) at the Ashland Shootout yesterday. Didn't go so I don't know the details. Today the Trojans play D1 Dublin Coffman in the Ashland Shootout Tournament. PHS has had plenty of basketball this week, playing at Waverly last Monday, Russell (KY) on Thursday, Belfry and Boyd County yesterday, and Dublin Coffman today.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth started slow vs. Peebles last night, as the Indians closely won the first 2 quarters. After that, the Trojans completely dominated the scrimmage, outscoring the Indians by almost 45 points in the 4 remaining quarters. Portsmouth's quickness proved to be the difference. Peebles was missing one of their top shooters, while the Trojans were missing their starting PG. Don't know the names of the Indians' players, but their big down low played well and was a difficult matchup for Portsmouth.

Good to talk to Coach Arey who will have his Indians ready for SHAC play come December.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth traveled to Huntington Ross yesterday and convincingly won a 6 quarter scrimmage, scoring 91 points. The Trojans showed some excellent 3 point prowess, as about a half dozen players knocked down the trifecta. As in other scrimmages, Portsmouth's quickness was the difference. Hopefully PHS can repeat the scoring ability that they have shown this summer, and if they can, a winning season is very possible.

Return to “Boys Basketball”