Whose a year away from being good?

BigBallFan
Waterboy

Whose a year away from being good?

Post by BigBallFan »

I always think this is a fun topic.

Who is going to be good this year, but will be even better in 2022-2023? Any teams out there that had a nice year last year and are loaded with juniors this year?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Whose a year away from being good?

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth was a disappointing 8-12 last season, but the silver lining with it comes the return of Daryionne Bryant, Donovan Carr, Drew Roe, Amare Johnson, Devin Lattimore, DeAndre Berry, Reade Pendleton, and the addition of Kenny Sanderlin from Wheelersburg. All of these players were either starters or got major varsity minutes and during summer ball played very well when the entire group was together. Also transferring in is Cooper Maxie, who also came from Wheelersburg and his 6-6 frame will be a big help down low. He has played very well as a DE in football.

Can't help but think the 20-21 Trojans could be in for a special season, but one of the things that PHS must be fortunate is for nobody getting any injuries on the gridiron, as 7 of the 8 players mentioned play football......Sanderlin does not.

In 2022-23, Portsmouth will return starters Lattimore and Sanderlin, with Berry, Pendleton, LeVaughn Cobb, Tyler Duncan, Noah Livingston, and Luke Stine vying for starting spots. I'll add a little tidbit and say that this year's 8th grade team should be really good, given a full roster which they didn't have last season due to Covid.

For this year and next, PHS finally has some size, which in past years has been missing from the Trojans roster.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

BigBallFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:42 am I always think this is a fun topic.

Who is going to be good this year, but will be even better in 2022-2023? Any teams out there that had a nice year last year and are loaded with juniors this year?
Minford.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Agreed swank. Could even throw Valley in there? Solid group of Juniors this year, but will lose Stewart next year. So we will see...

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:29 am
BigBallFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:42 am I always think this is a fun topic.

Minford.
I don't know about the sophomore and junior classes, but the Freshmen are outstanding. That class alone will be state contenders itself if they all stay together.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
whsfan001
Waterboy

Post by whsfan001 »

Warren is about to make a run in the playoffs in a couple years maybe another final four.

bigblue52
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue52 »

whsfan001 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 pm Warren is about to make a run in the playoffs in a couple years maybe another final four.
Rumor has it Warren may be getting some help through some transfers.

Warriors321
Freshman Team

Post by Warriors321 »

bigblue52 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 pm
whsfan001 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 pm Warren is about to make a run in the playoffs in a couple years maybe another final four.
Heard this also the other morning with my buddies. I will tell you what I told them...I'll believe it when I see it.

bigblue52
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue52 »

Warriors321 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:20 pm
bigblue52 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:38 pm
Heard this also the other morning with my buddies. I will tell you what I told them...I'll believe it when I see it.
Could not agree more with ya ole buddy... Cause you know what they say about assuming don't ya?

NotFunnyAtAll
Waterboy

Post by NotFunnyAtAll »

Watch out for Waterford when Simms is out of the building. He is the only person holding the team back every year.

bigblue52
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue52 »

NotFunnyAtAll wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:12 pm Watch out for Waterford when Simms is out of the building. He is the only person holding the team back every year.
Seen the Cats play for a long time and he had held this program back for years. Look for them to make a big jump when he leaves...

NotFunnyAtAll
Waterboy

Post by NotFunnyAtAll »

bigblue52 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:20 pm
NotFunnyAtAll wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:12 pm Watch out for Waterford when Simms is out of the building. He is the only person holding the team back every year.
Seen the Cats play for a long time and he had held this program back for years. Look for them to make a big jump when he leaves...
Hopefully it is sooner rather then later for getting him out. Waterford needs to move off him NOW!!!!

bigblue52
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue52 »

NotFunnyAtAll wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:24 pm
Hopefully it is sooner rather then later for getting him out. Waterford needs to move off him NOW!!!!
I hear ya I hear ya. Warren needs to be evaluating what they're gonna do after Maddox retires... big shoes for someone to fill in an even bigger gym...

NotFunnyAtAll
Waterboy

Post by NotFunnyAtAll »

bigblue52 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:26 pm
NotFunnyAtAll wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:24 pm

I hear ya I hear ya. Warren needs to be evaluating what they're gonna do after Maddox retires... big shoes for someone to fill in an even bigger gym...
Idk Maddox is a trooper he is gonna be there for probably 5 to 7 more years. He has to break in the new gym for the next guy that comes in.

Return to “Boys Basketball”