Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio "coming soons" ...

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio "coming soons" ...

Post by bbjunky81 »

Speaking of Portsmouth, Will D. Bryant be eligible the second half of the year?

He transferred to Notre Dame during the summer (and played for ND in the summer), then transferred back. I'm curious as to how the transfer rules apply with that. Could be a sticky situation.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 am Speaking of Portsmouth, Will D. Bryant be eligible the second half of the year?

He transferred to Notre Dame during the summer (and played for ND in the summer), then transferred back. I'm curious as to how the transfer rules apply with that. Could be a sticky situation.
I'm not sure that OHSAA would consider that a transfer unless he attended school or competed in an actual contest. (summer basketball games are basically the same thing as open gyms.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

bbjunky81: Bryant is eligible for the whole season, and I haven't heard anything from Coach Collins as to the contrary. If he wasn't, I'm sure that he would have told me so. I'm not that knowledgeable about the eligibility rules, but I believe that the family has maintained residency in the Portsmouth school district all along.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Didn't Bryant compete in Track and Field last spring for PND?

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

by noreply66 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 am
100 Meters

11.25.....Alex Boles.....Waverly.....2023
********11.46.....Dariyonne Bryant.....Notre dame.....2022**********
11.84.....Brandon Anderson.....West.....2023
11.86.....Jeffery Pica.....Minford.....2024
11.88.....Nolan Heiland.....Notre Dame.....2023
11.94.....Eric Lattimore.....Wheelersburg.....2023
12.26.....Colin Parker.....Minford.....2022
12.27.....Alex Blevins.....West.....2023
12.38.....Hunter Armbrister.....Northwest.....2023
12.48.....Max Gentry.....Oak Hill.....2024
12.97.....Devin Maynard.....Green....2024
13.71.....Caden Bear.....Waverly.....2024

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

Based of of the information provided above (has not moved and participated at another school, technically the player would only be eligible for the 1st half of the season of any sports played the previous year. If it was to be turned in and investigated.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

3rd String wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 pm Based of of the information provided above (has not moved and participated at another school, technically the player would only be eligible for the 1st half of the season of any sports played the previous year. If it was to be turned in and investigated.
Incorrect he will not be eligible in ANY sports the second half of the following year. whether he played them or not is not a factor
Last edited by Blitz on Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Does this pertain to the sport he played ?

I know we got a kid from burg thst could only play first half of football because he played football at burg ,but his cleared to play a full year of basketball because he did not play basketball .

Bryant did not play basketball st PND.

I dont know the rules ,but I guarantee our ad and basketball coach are on top of them .

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Just talked to someone "in the know " The state declares eligibility, Bryant falls in "exceptions " you are allowed 1 move back to your home school with no penalties

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

Blitz wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:28 pm
3rd String wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 pm Based of of the information provided above (has not moved and participated at another school, technically the player would only be eligible for the 1st half of the season of any sports played the previous year. If it was to be turned in and investigated.
Incorrect he will not be eligible in ANY sports the second half of the following year. whether he played them or not is not a factor
https://www.ohsaa.org/eligibility/transfer

If a student transfers, they will be ineligible for the OHSAA tournament and for all contests at all levels once the varsity team completes the first 50% of the maximum allowable varsity regular season contests. This rule is only in place for those sports in which the student participated during the 12 months immediately preceding this transfer.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:41 pm Just talked to someone "in the know " The state declares eligibility, Bryant falls in "exceptions " you are allowed 1 move back to your home school with no penalties
I did not know that rule, but clears the conversation up. Good Luck to the young man!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

3rd String wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:53 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:41 pm Just talked to someone "in the know " The state declares eligibility, Bryant falls in "exceptions " you are allowed 1 move back to your home school with no penalties
I did not know that rule, but clears the conversation up. Good Luck to the young man!

I didn't know it either lol I just ask someone.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:57 pm

FOUND IT: https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Eligibi ... nGuide.pdf

exception 9 -

Learn something new everyday!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

3rd String wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:02 pm

exception 9 -

For sure ,this is why I said our basketball coach : Eugene Collins" is on top of things he told me this with no hesitation right off lol

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:25 pm
3rd String wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:02 pm

exception 9 -

For sure ,this is why I said our basketball coach : Eugene Collins" is on top of things he told me this with no hesitation right off lol
Always helps when the coach knows the rules, that's for sure!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Glad to hear that. I wasn't up-to-date on those rules but I thought there might be some muddy water there when he went then came right back. Sounds like it's all cleared up though.

Portsmouth will be fun to watch! I'm happy for trojandave and other loyal Trojan fans.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Almost time for some round ball. Can't wait .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:05 am Almost time for some round ball. Can't wait .
Hoopie, I'm struggling with the SHAC this preseason ! your Indians lost a bunch! EB has Hundley returning as a great center piece ... Lycnchburg Clay was very young last season and return a BUNCH ... Whiteoak should be very good if everyone stays the entire season ... Fairfield Leesburg? West Union? any info would be helpful ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Friday Night 8 pm ... Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 is rolled out ... ready for the beatings to begin ... the committee has been looking at everything it knows and everything it doesn't know - tweaking is minimal now ... feeling good as to the starting positions for each team with some teams as usual not as high as they should be due to "unknowns" - impact players moving up from JV, or transfers ... some teams are in unfamiliar "air" being ranked lower than we've seen in years while others are in rare air being ranked higher than they have been in years or ever ... some teams who lost a bunch of starters may still be ranked up due to the "system" , the coaching staffs that have been "grooming" the next edition ... one thing that has helped teams is having THAT quality PG who starts every possession while some teams who have a few quality players returning but no proven PG have questions by the committee that have to be answered before moving up the rankings ...

... I am sooooooo looking forward to physically being IN the Cheap Seats AGAIN !!! nothing like having "in-person" eyes on TEAMS to evaluate, compare teams from the different divisions vs each other ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:50 pm Friday Night 8 pm ... Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 is rolled out ... ready for the beatings to begin ... the committee has been looking at everything it knows and everything it doesn't know - tweaking is minimal now ... feeling good as to the starting positions for each team with some teams as usual not as high as they should be due to "unknowns" - impact players moving up from JV, or transfers ... some teams are in unfamiliar "air" being ranked lower than we've seen in years while others are in rare air being ranked higher than they have been in years or ever ... some teams who lost a bunch of starters may still be ranked up due to the "system" , the coaching staffs that have been "grooming" the next edition ... one thing that has helped teams is having THAT quality PG who starts every possession while some teams who have a few quality players returning but no proven PG have questions by the committee that have to be answered before moving up the rankings ...

... I am sooooooo looking forward to physically being IN the Cheap Seats AGAIN !!! nothing like having "in-person" eyes on TEAMS to evaluate, compare teams from the different divisions vs each other ...
We will be in the stands at Clinton Massie at 8:00 Friday night but looking forward to checking out the Preseason Elite 8 at halftime.

Return to “Boys Basketball”