***SOC 1 & 2 2021-2022***

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

***SOC 1 & 2 2021-2022***

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Who y’all got this year?
I think ND and Waverly are far and away the favorites but from 2nd on down who knows?

Waverly.
Minford
SW/Burg/Valley/West
NW/Beaver
Oak Hill
Last edited by The Ghost of Swanker on Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Westfan
SEOP

Re: ***SOC 1 & 2 2021-2022***

Post by Westfan »

West is right there with Waverly for the league title. People will be surprised how good the backcourt is this year. IMO the best in the area

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

I’ll just agree to disagree. West might place 2nd or 3rd. Waverly by a million

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

ND and Western will fight it out for SOC 1 Title. I did have NB up there but after losing Mckinley I don't think they think Jackson and Voiers(spelling) can make them into contenders. Heard Western and Green got some kids from Eastern and heard Sampson had a great summer. 3-5 can all go in a different direction but I don't see NB being in the top 3.

1. ND
2. Western
3. Green
4. SV
5. NB
6. St Joe
7. East
8. Clay

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

Westfan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:35 pm West is right there with Waverly for the league title. People will be surprised how good the backcourt is this year. IMO the best in the area
I do agree, West has a good backcourt and may surprise some teams. I believe this year teams will be ready for West and their 1-3-1.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Saw Waverly this summer, and if they resemble anything like I saw, they should be the SOC II favorite and a serious regional contender. The Tigers have the difference maker in Trey Robertson, and if WHS can score around him, that will be a big help. Really like how the Tigers have upgraded their non-conference schedule.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I think Northwest will be better. They'll be a year older. Be getting Butler back he was out all of last season, he should help. We added another kid that supposedly is a solid player, haven't seen him play yet. Have two new faces on the coaching staff, both have head coaching experience. Looking forward to the season.
Last edited by BigBlueNation on Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

sportsfan2244 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:29 am
Westfan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:35 pm West is right there with Waverly for the league title. People will be surprised how good the backcourt is this year. IMO the best in the area
I do agree, West has a good backcourt and may surprise some teams. I believe this year teams will be ready for West and their 1-3-1.
McClanahan is a good coach. Defensive coach. They will still run some 1-3-1 but they will play a lot more man. This team isn’t as long but quicker and will be a much better offensive team

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

The backcourt at West is good, but it is not better than Robertson and Stully at Waverly. Trey has no peer in this part of the state when it comes to scoring the ball and Stully is the best on ball defender in the area.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

My "WAY TOO EARLY" SOC Predictions

SOC 1:

1.) Notre Dame
2.) Western
3.) Green
4.) New Boston
5.) Symmes Valley
6.) St Joe
7.) East
8.) Clay

SOC 2:

1.) Waverly
2.) Minford
3.) West
4.) South Webster
5.) Valley
6.) Northwest
7.) Wheelersburg
8.) Oak Hill
9.) Eastern

I think there's a lot more questions in the SOC 2. I think 2-7 on my list could all interchange depending on health.

Waverly is definitely the favorite, but the SOC 2 trophy hasn't went back to Waverly in many years. I think this is the year they get over the hump.

West should be very solid but I also agree that they lost a good chunk of length which will make that 1-3-1 a little less appealing. I also agree with the above poster that coaches have now had a year to figure out the zone.

Minford is very long and returns a great player in Zimmerman and some athletes. A super freshman by the name of Montgomery will help them tremendously. Kid has an extremely bright future. Fun to watch!

Webster returned everyone including Zimmerman. Also have the 6'7" freshman who is going to be special if he can keep his head. He's going to have some highlight reel dunks this year and I'd expect the D1 coaches will be in the gym in the next 1-2 years.

Valley will have a very good starting 5, but depth might be the issue there. The big kid in the middle will have a big advantage considering there isn't much size in the league this year. Copley/Stuart/Arnett returning is a solid 3 paired with a 6'8" downlow. They could make some noise up top also.

Northwest all depends on their health. I've heard they're dealing with some injuries currently. Can any NW fan give us an update there? If healthy they could definitely make some noise. Lintz is a stud.

Wheelersburg at #7 just feels wrong. They'll have a ton of new faces but it is Wheelersburg, it wouldn't shock me to see them slide in the top 3-4 either. There's just lots of questions on who's going to put the ball in the basket. JV was very good last year so maybe they will be better than we anticipate, but losing Truitt/Miller/McCorkle is a big blow and then Sanderlin went to Portsmouth. I can see Ater really slowing it down and trying to value possessions with a young team.

Oak Hill will be slightly improved but again they will struggle to score. I think the staff is doing a great job with what they have. Their kids will compete to the best of their abilities.

Eastern had a down year last year and then lost a few kids to transfer. They will struggle but still return Leist and Slusher so perhaps they can pull off an upset or two.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:46 pm My "WAY TOO EARLY" SOC Predictions

SOC 1:

1.) Notre Dame
2.) Western
3.) Green
4.) New Boston
5.) Symmes Valley
6.) St Joe
7.) East
8.) Clay

SOC 2:

1.) Waverly
2.) Minford
3.) West
4.) South Webster
5.) Valley
6.) Northwest
7.) Wheelersburg
8.) Oak Hill
9.) Eastern

I think there's a lot more questions in the SOC 2. I think 2-7 on my list could all interchange depending on health.

Waverly is definitely the favorite, but the SOC 2 trophy hasn't went back to Waverly in many years. I think this is the year they get over the hump.

West should be very solid but I also agree that they lost a good chunk of length which will make that 1-3-1 a little less appealing. I also agree with the above poster that coaches have now had a year to figure out the zone.

Minford is very long and returns a great player in Zimmerman and some athletes. A super freshman by the name of Montgomery will help them tremendously. Kid has an extremely bright future. Fun to watch!

Webster returned everyone including Zimmerman. Also have the 6'7" freshman who is going to be special if he can keep his head. He's going to have some highlight reel dunks this year and I'd expect the D1 coaches will be in the gym in the next 1-2 years.

Valley will have a very good starting 5, but depth might be the issue there. The big kid in the middle will have a big advantage considering there isn't much size in the league this year. Copley/Stuart/Arnett returning is a solid 3 paired with a 6'8" downlow. They could make some noise up top also.

Northwest all depends on their health. I've heard they're dealing with some injuries currently. Can any NW fan give us an update there? If healthy they could definitely make some noise. Lintz is a stud.

Wheelersburg at #7 just feels wrong. They'll have a ton of new faces but it is Wheelersburg, it wouldn't shock me to see them slide in the top 3-4 either. There's just lots of questions on who's going to put the ball in the basket. JV was very good last year so maybe they will be better than we anticipate, but losing Truitt/Miller/McCorkle is a big blow and then Sanderlin went to Portsmouth. I can see Ater really slowing it down and trying to value possessions with a young team.

Oak Hill will be slightly improved but again they will struggle to score. I think the staff is doing a great job with what they have. Their kids will compete to the best of their abilities.

Eastern had a down year last year and then lost a few kids to transfer. They will struggle but still return Leist and Slusher so perhaps they can pull off an upset or two.
Northwest should be good to go.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

I forgot Eastern existed.... again.

I’m not sure if Little Roberts is actually 6’7 yet or not. Haven’t seen him in person since his 7th grade year. Hope he’s been hitting the weights and eating 4500 calories a day though

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

SOC 1:

1.) Notre Dame
2.) Western
3.) Green
4.) New Boston
5.) Symmes Valley
6.) St Joe
7.) East
8.) Clay

SOC 2:

1.) Waverly
2.) Minford
3.) West
4.) South Webster
5.) Valley
6.) Northwest
7.) Wheelersburg
8.) Oak Hill
9.) Eastern

I agree a lot with this post on the SOC1 side. I believe that Western and Notre Dame will battle for the top spot and then there are the rest. I think burg will be higher than you have them in the bigger side but other than that these rankings are solid.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

BigBlueNation wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:09 pm

SOC 1:

1.) Notre Dame
2.) Western
3.) Green
4.) New Boston
5.) Symmes Valley
6.) St Joe
7.) East
8.) Clay

SOC 2:

1.) Waverly
2.) Minford
3.) West
4.) South Webster
5.) Valley
6.) Northwest
7.) Wheelersburg
8.) Oak Hill
9.) Eastern

I think NW can be in the top 5 in the league.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

packers80 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:51 pm

SOC 1:

1.) Notre Dame
2.) Western
3.) Green
4.) New Boston
5.) Symmes Valley
6.) St Joe
7.) East
8.) Clay

SOC 2:

1.) Waverly
2.) Minford
3.) West
4.) South Webster
5.) Valley
6.) Northwest
7.) Wheelersburg
8.) Oak Hill
9.) Eastern

Yesterday Northwest was dealt another big blow. 2 of our players was in automobile accident. Both players was life flighted to Huntington. The youngmen are going to be okay. Thank God. Don't know how long they will be out. That's the last thing we're worried about right now.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

BigBlueNation wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:03 pm
Yesterday Northwest was dealt another big blow. 2 of our players was in automobile accident. Both players was life flighted to Huntington. The youngmen are going to be okay. Thank God. Don't know how long they will be out. That's the last thing we're worried about right now.
... prayers for the NW players and all involved in the accident ... we ask for a quick & full recovery - pfloyd

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:07 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:03 pm

... prayers for the NW players and all involved in the accident ... we ask for a quick & full recovery - pfloyd
Thanks.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Final preseason predictions:

SOC II
1. Waverly
2. Valley
3. Minford
4. Burg
5. West
6. Northwest
7. Webster
8. Oak Hill
9. Eastern

Waverly the obvious favorite and only question for me is how deep in D2 tourney they can go this year? Spots 2-7 were harder. I want to put Northwest higher, but unsure of their injury situation from football and the terrible car accident. Valley lost some players to transfer but still have a nice core returning. Burg will still have athletes that will get better as year goes on. Kind of a prove it year for Webster...could see them around 10 regular season wins and still have a chance to get to District Championship game in D4.

SOC I
1. Notre Dame
2. Western
3. Green
4. Symmes Valley
5. New Boston
6. St. Joe
7. Clay
8. East

Notre Dame will have their best team since their Regional team in 2013...they have a real solid 4 year run coming up with multiple trips to Regionals likely. Western looks to be solid as well and hear that Green has some transfers to go around Sampson.*

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:13 pm
The backcourt at West is good, but it is not better than Robertson and Stully at Waverly. Trey has no peer in this part of the state when it comes to scoring the ball and Stully is the best on ball defender in the area.

Aiden Porter can score it pretty well…

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

Did Wheelersburg JV lose any league games last season? I know they aren't the high profile players, but when I saw them play last year, that were absolute dogs on defense. very disciplined, and very physical ? I think the burg will contend for the 2-3 spot with Minford and Webster.

Return to “Boys Basketball”