2021-2022 SVC

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Re: 2021-2022 SVC

Post by Svcguru »

FACSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:09 am I've heard that due to the blow up in recruiting for Tayvion, he will be transferring to a larger school to play football/basketball next season.
I’m sure Unioto & Coach Hoops are doing all they can to keep him.In all reality if you’re D1 material and the number #1 TE recruit in Ohio why would you want to play in the SVC.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Not sure he was #1, but Ben Hartsock did it.

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

transplant wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:20 pm Not sure he was #1, but Ben Hartsock did it.

He did but that was a much different time in recruiting. Look at all the top D1 recruits today. They all
play at top level high schools.

tnichols10
Waterboy

Post by tnichols10 »

Here is my breakdown of the SVC and what I know now (which may or maynot be accurate).

1. Zane Trace
2. PV
3. Unioto/Piketon
4. Huntington
5. Westfall
7. Adena
6. Southeastern

Zane Trace has so much size and skill it will be hard for any SVC team control the boards. Robinson (6'4) ,Stonerock (6'4) , D. Baker (6'8) will be the main post players. Zander Ream (6'3) athletic wing with huge potential, Hill (6'2) anchors the defense, and Nichols (6'0) running the point. They also will have depth with Trey Edler (6'3'), Carter Langly (6'3) and Brayden Jarrell (5'10). ZT will have to cutdown no turnovers, last year that was there achilles hill and hopefully with everyone getting a year of varsity experience that will help.

PV will be interesting with the addition of Adena transfer Mcdonald (6'1') , On paper they should be very good. Size with Estep (6'5) and Grubb's (6'0) offense, Athletic ability of Miller (6'2) and Mettler (5'11) handling the ball.

Unioto I think will struggle this with Galloway not playing. They still have Park (6'6) who is an inside/outside threat and Branson (6'0) guard who can defend and score. They will need other players to step up as they lost a great senior class.

Piketon they could finish anywhere between 2-4 I think. With Gullion (6'3) and Swayne (6'3) they will keep them in most games. It will be hard to replace the 2 seniors they had in (Chandler and Fuller). Depth may be an issue if they don't have other players step up.

Huntington will compete hard with shooting of Smith (6''0), Black (6'2) on the inside and Haubiel (5'9) and Hernstien (6'0) handling the ball. Lack of size will hurt the Huntsmen.

Westfall - will be small with 2 gritty guards in Shipley (5'9) and Nunemaker (5'9), also Cline (5'11) gives them some varsity experience. They will have to pressure teams to death and will also have a lack of size to overcome.

Adena - with losing a great senior class and Mcdonald to PV, I see them struggling with basically no varsity experience coming back.

Southeastern - this is also a team that I think will struggle as I hear all the kids from the senior class are not playing (this could change). They lost Hall to Chillicothe and the Altman kid to VC. I don't know who is/isn't playing but if they had all they kids playing from talented senior class they would be in the top 4.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

Is the Perkins kid still playing at the U. 6'5-6"6" sophomore that was on the varsity roster last year.

Snotnose
Riding the Bench

Post by Snotnose »

tnichols, the key to your breakdown might be how many players you mentioned are actually playing. Seems to be an early story in the preseason. You mentioned Southeasterns senior class not being around anymore, Galloway not playing and maybe more at Unioto, two of the players you mentioned from Huntington have decided not to play, numbers at Westfall low just like football for them. Things not moving in the right direction numbers wise all around throughout the league.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

FACSPORTS wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:09 am I've heard that due to the blow up in recruiting for Tayvion, he will be transferring to a larger school to play football/basketball next season.
It is all about ME nowadays. Don't feel sorry for Unioto though with all the transfers they have survived off the last decade.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Basketball starts October 29th, through February 14th when Sectionals begin. Thats 3 and half months, plus Thanksgiving and Christmas break. Add in the “non mandatory “ summer requirements, and basketball can last 130 plus days. While the highly motivated kids who love basketball eat this up, it drives away some of your average players who just don’t see the benefit. Coaches are not going to self regulate, most feel the pressure of getting as much time in as possible because everyone else is doing it.

BackTap
Riding the Bench

Post by BackTap »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 am Basketball starts October 29th, through February 14th when Sectionals begin. Thats 3 and half months, plus Thanksgiving and Christmas break. Add in the “non mandatory “ summer requirements, and basketball can last 130 plus days. While the highly motivated kids who love basketball eat this up, it drives away some of your average players who just don’t see the benefit. Coaches are not going to self regulate, most feel the pressure of getting as much time in as possible because everyone else is doing it.
Same could be said about football/volleyball , baseball/softball with the number of days the season could be. Is there a drop off in numbers in those sports as well?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Football goes for 84 days in season, August 1st through October 23rd being last weekend before playoffs. Football is very regulated, because it is a collision sport. Baseball is February 21st through May 14th sectionals for 83 days. Basketball is October 29th through February 14th for 109 days. 25 days more than the next sport.

BackTap
Riding the Bench

Post by BackTap »

Ok. I didn’t know the exact numbers. Interesting to see how many kids play travel in baseball/softball & volleyball that would really bump those numbers up, and kids still come out and play those sports is what I was trying to get at.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:03 am Football goes for 84 days in season, August 1st through October 23rd being last weekend before playoffs. Football is very regulated, because it is a collision sport. Baseball is February 21st through May 14th sectionals for 83 days. Basketball is October 29th through February 14th for 109 days. 25 days more than the next sport.
If a school is only beginning football on August 1st they may need to reevaluate themselves. Yes, that is the official “first day of coaching”, but that is not when successful schools expect kids to start showing up. I know there are schools who begin having football workouts after school before summer let’s out and continue it every day in the summer for 2-3 hours a day. That’s not including any film watching or studying that is completed during winter or spring. So a successful football program is going to require many more than 84 days. Now I know you said in season is 84 days, but football “non mandatory” days are the same as basketball “non mandatory” days and far exceed that number.

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

Based on pfloyd rankings:

ZT (2)
Unioto (4)
Paint Valley (10)
Piketon (33)
Adena (38)
Huntington (43)
Westfall (51)
Southeastern (62)

My picks-

Zane Trace
Paint Valley/Unioto
Westfall/Piketon
Huntington
Adena
Southeastern

this could be a year where 11-3 wins it
Last edited by Seopnation on Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:19 am
eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:03 am Football goes for 84 days in season, August 1st through October 23rd being last weekend before playoffs. Football is very regulated, because it is a collision sport. Baseball is February 21st through May 14th sectionals for 83 days. Basketball is October 29th through February 14th for 109 days. 25 days more than the next sport.
If a school is only beginning football on August 1st they may need to reevaluate themselves. Yes, that is the official “first day of coaching”, but that is not when successful schools expect kids to start showing up. I know there are schools who begin having football workouts after school before summer let’s out and continue it every day in the summer for 2-3 hours a day. That’s not including any film watching or studying that is completed during winter or spring. So a successful football program is going to require many more than 84 days. Now I know you said in season is 84 days, but football “non mandatory” days are the same as basketball “non mandatory” days and far exceed that number.
Yes I said in season, and you made my point. All sports require off season work, basketball has summer practice and shootouts. Plus lifting. Doesn’t change the fact that basketball is the longest season. Add in the fact that only 5 kids can be on the floor, versus 11 for football and 9 for baseball, and that means less kids getting quality playing time. Basketball needs to reign in the season, but the Ohsaa and Nfhs is doing the opposite.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:26 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:19 am
Yes I said in season, and you made my point. All sports require off season work, basketball has summer practice and shootouts. Plus lifting. Doesn’t change the fact that basketball is the longest season. Add in the fact that only 5 kids can be on the floor, versus 11 for football and 9 for baseball, and that means less kids getting quality playing time. Basketball needs to reign in the season, but the Ohsaa and Nfhs is doing the opposite.
Also, baseball/softball and football are at the end and beginning of school. So I would say they do not want to have a ton of games when school is not in session so that limits their time frames. And they are both outdoors which effects things too. But honestly, football needs to be moved up at least one week now that they decided to expand the playoffs. But I know what you are saying.

tnichols10
Waterboy

Post by tnichols10 »

Snotnose wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:26 pm tnichols, the key to your breakdown might be how many players you mentioned are actually playing. Seems to be an early story in the preseason. You mentioned Southeasterns senior class not being around anymore, Galloway not playing and maybe more at Unioto, two of the players you mentioned from Huntington have decided not to play, numbers at Westfall low just like football for them. Things not moving in the right direction numbers wise all around throughout the league.
Yea I didn't know about Huntington...who is not playing. Also are there more kids from Unioto not playing other than Galloway?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Heard Netter wasn't

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

transplant wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:22 am Heard Netter wasn't
Seems to me Galloway and Netter are a packaged deal. Seen on Twitter that Netter goes with Galloway on a lot of his recruiting visits. If I had to guess they are all but done at Unioto.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I would guess so as well.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

Unioto has a very strong sophomore class. I think they will be more than fine. Losing Galloway will hurt, I dont think losing Netter will make much of an impact.

Return to “Boys Basketball”