21/22 OVC

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: 21/22 OVC

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: Have to agree with you on many of your points, and to make matters even worse it was Fairland's 14th straight win over Portsmouth, which matches a 14 game winning streak by Chillicothe in the early 2000's. PHS ended that 14 game skid vs. CHS with a 52-42 win at PHS in the 2010-2011 season, the season in which Portsmouth advanced to the Final 4. The Trojans then swept the Cavaliers in the 2012 season on their way to the D3 state championship game. PHS swept Fairland in the 2015 OVC season, en route to winning a conference title.

BBJunky81: You summed it up very well.......no reason Portsmouth should be dead last in the OVC all by themselves.

Portsmouth hasn't finished last in any conference play since a 10th place finish in the SEOAL in the 2007 season. That year 10th place PHS lost to 9th place Athens in the SEOAL Day of Champions. That loss secured a last place finish for PHS.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:20 am Watched the Portsmouth game against Fairland last night. The Trojans didn’t run much offense. It was either 1 pass then shoot a 3, or whoever brought the ball down drove and flipped up a wild shot, or pulled up from deep. That along with no post defense made it hard to watch. Porter is a good shooter, so he was always going to get his. But so many untested easy baskets down low for Fairland. Trojans have lost 4 in a row I believe. I know some will say it’s early, don’t panic. But my goodness this team has some major problems. Let’s see how they fair with a below average Rock Hill team on Friday.
Glad someone else is seeing what I'm seeing. I mentioned this in a previous post and got a negative comment from Trojandave.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

sportsfan2244: I don't disagree with everything you have said previously. My only issue was you criticizing an offense that was averaging 72 PPG after the Whiteoak game, infering that the team was undisciplined in doing so. I thought that was an unfair criticism, and was more in line with nitpicking.

Last night vs. Fairland was not a good offensive game for the Trojans, but that has not been a trend so far. Bad defense, especially in the paint, has been.

You are definitely right in that there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm within the program. After watching the game in person and talking to some fans during and after the game, I feel that is spot on.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

Portsmouth so far has been a head scratcher , I had them finally knocking off Fairland for the title . I think SP will implode , they always have a decent team then something goes wrong . It might be down to Fairland , Ironton then SP.

Sidethrower
Waterboy

Post by Sidethrower »

South Point......4-0
Fairland...........3-1
Coal Grove.......2-2
Chesapeake......2-2
Ironton............2-2
Rock Hill..........1-2
Gallia Academy..1-3
Portsmouth.......0-3

Rexdog
Waterboy

Post by Rexdog »

Who ever was doing preseason pick don’t know basketball. Look at records now south Point 7-1

Hornetfan84
Riding the Bench

Post by Hornetfan84 »

I believe it’s difficult to predict what all the teams have coming into the season and the OVC is a competitive confrence. There is still lots of basketball to figure out who’s on top.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Its going to be a dog fight in the OVC !!!

Hornetfan84
Riding the Bench

Post by Hornetfan84 »

OVC is starting to get really interesting. Any new predictions on how it will finish?

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

Hornetfan84 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:11 pm OVC is starting to get really interesting. Any new predictions on how it will finish?
Hard to tell, seems like there is an upset each game night. I like the way my Dragons are playing, and their young guns are starting to click very well, but feel like Every single team is still somewhat in it. SP is on a skid but they’ll rebound. Portsmouth seems to be figuring it out. Peake plays hard every game and pulls a lot of them out. Gallia is huge and will decide some things in the race. Still can’t count out Itown and RH either. CG is young but can upset anyone. It’s really just a guessing game at this point. I’ll say this though, the OVC is once again one of the strongest conferences around!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The OVC, SOC 2, FAC are ALL solid this season ... making it really tough on pfloyd ! having to put some mileage on the pfloyd1 Gladiator to see the Best of the Best this season!!! ...

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The OVC seems to be a little more balanced than in previous years when Fairland pretty much ran away with the last 6 conference titles, losing only 2 league games in 6 years (South Point and Gallia Academy). This year, the Dragons have lost to South Point and barely escaped a Chesapeake upset, while Portsmouth handily won at South Point but also lost at home to Rock Hill. Gallia Academy, Ironton, Chesapeake, Coal Grove, and Rock Hill all have had their ups and downs, and no one so far has maintained any consistent play.

Right now, I would give Fairland the nod to win the conference, with South Point, Chesapeake, and Gallia Academy probably the main challengers. Portsmouth dug itself a hole going 0-4 to start out, and it will be difficult to overcome that. Ironton hasn't played in quite a while, so it remains to be seen as to how that will affect them once they resume play. The Fighting Tigers have already beaten Gallia Academy.

There most likely will be more upsets as the season goes, but the bottom line for any challengers to Fairland is can someone step up and give the Dragons their 2nd conference loss, which would be the first time in 6 years that FHS has lost 2 conference games in a season. Until that happens, the Dragons are the team to knock off the throne.

One game that will have a big impact on the conference race will be Friday when Fairland comes to Portsmouth. The Trojans have lost 14 in a row to FHS, so there should be plenty of motivation for PHS to end a streak dating back to 2015. Chillicothe had a 14 game winning streak vs. Portsmouth, which the Trojans ended in the 2010-2011 season with a 52-42 win at PHS, a season in which they advanced to the D3 Final 4, losing to Cleveland Central Catholic in the semifinals 58-47.

Hornetfan84
Riding the Bench

Post by Hornetfan84 »

I definitely see good things from all the teams this season so far. Portsmouth has unbelievably talented offensive weapons.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Did Fairland lose a starter to Huntington Prep? Ethan Taylor?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Someone mentioned on one of the live feeds they was missing number 5 ,but im not sure ,I know Porter wasn't missing lol

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Taylor was only allowed to play half the year at Fairland since he transferred in. Don’t know if he went to Prep.

Hornetfan84
Riding the Bench

Post by Hornetfan84 »

I heard number 0 was out also for Fairland.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Saw on Twitter Taylor was on Huntington Prep

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Hornetfan84 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:55 pm I heard number 0 was out also for Fairland.
0 did play

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

[media][/media]

Taylor went to Prep.

0 or Davis was hurt but returned last night.

Fairlands young players are playing very well right now.

They now have a 2 game lead in OVC after SP lost to Gallia. Everything still very close with most teams still in the race.

Return to “Boys Basketball”