21/22 OVC

portsmouth_98
All State

21/22 OVC

Post by portsmouth_98 »

What's everyone's thoughts going into this year? Whose the favorites?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: 21/22 OVC

Post by trojandave »

portsmouth98: I wish I knew more about the conference, but I only saw 4 games last season due to Covid restrictions. So I really don't know that much at all about what teams have coming back.

I can say for fact that Fairland is the 6 time defending champion.......and Portsmouth was the last school to win the title before the Dragons.

I wish I had some solid info on who's got what coming back, but that's not just the case. Most generally the conference is very competitive for spots 2-5 with some separation after that. The 2 biggest questions going into the season will be......can the Dragons make it 7 titles in a row?, and who will be the main threat to them?

I am laying low about Portsmouth but I will say we will be improved. That's as far as I'll go on the Trojans.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

I’ll say

1. Fairland-it’s gotta be them until some proves it’s not
2. Portsmouth-seem improved on paper, have some depth
3. Gallia-return some good pieces, including the big guy
4. Ironton-return few good pieces, slow start due to football
5. Coal Grove-could win a few games you wouldn’t think
6. Chesapeake-average
7. South Point-not very good, but maybe better than I think?
8. Rock Hill-Bad, but maybe not?

I think 1-4 are interchangeable. OVC top should be a dog fight.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

What was Portsmouth's record last year, we were a few games under .500 weren't we?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Portsmouth will be improved with returning nearly everyone and bringing in 3 talented kids. On paper I would say they are the favorite.

Gallia will be very solid with the big boy downlow and a tremendous sophomore guard -- with some athletes around them. I don't think they'll win the league, but should be top 2-4.

Fairland will be better than people think. I'm anxious to see how the sophomore plays this year (the boy that came in from Coal Grove freshman year). He has plenty of talent and could have a breakout season. They're definitely top 3-4.

Ironton is a wild card. They have the athletes to compete and tremendous guard play in Wilson and the sophomore guard who's name is escaping me. Losing Carpenter will hurt the outside shooting. They definitely have some pieces to make things interesting. Anywhere from 3-5 most likely.

South Point, who knows. They have plenty of athletes but they don't have Webb anymore which is a big blow. We'll see. I think more around 4-6 range in the conference but could surprise some.

Coal Grove should be a little down. Fairly athletic, always pretty physical. Well coached for the pieces they have. But I think they'll struggle at times which could lead them to finish 5-7 in the league.

Chesapeake should be down. Great player in Blankenship but it all depends on who comes out to play with him. They've been on the wrong side of transfers for many years now. Blankenship could win them some games but I still think they'll finish somewhere in the 5-7 range.

Rock Hill will struggle. Might be able to win 1-2 games in the league but that's about all I'm seeing.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

1 - Portsmouth
2 - Gallia
3 - Fairland
4 - Ironton
5 - South Point

Maybe Fairland in at #2 if Gallias big boy isnt available .

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I feel like this year the league title might be shared between a few teams. Might even have multiple losses. I think the top 4-5 teams all have ability to beat each other. A lot of new faces for teams, just depends how fast/well they gel together.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I'm highly doubtful Roe will play anytime soon unless his football injury looked worse than it was. Also not sure on Donovan Carrs status. Between injuries and working new guys in Portsmouth could be vulnerable the first month or so.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:48 am I'm highly doubtful Roe will play anytime soon unless his football injury looked worse than it was. Also not sure on Donovan Carrs status. Between injuries and working new guys in Portsmouth could be vulnerable the first month or so.
Hearing roe may sit half the season but thats pur deepest position but roe will be a big loss untill he comes back good thing about round ball you record doesn't really matter untill one and done season

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The only player whose injury could be long term is Drew Roe......Donovan Carr is mending an ankle and should possibly be ready by next week, while Amare Johnson's leg injury could keep him out a couple more weeks, but it does not look long term.

With Roe out indefinitely, and Johnson on the mend, 6-0 SO Devin Lattimore will fill the PG spot, with 5-10 JR Reade Pendleton very capable of filling that role as well. Look for 6-0 JR Tyler Duncan to be very good at the 2. He has the ability to hit 5 trifectas in a row.

Excited also for the JV Trojans who should field its best squad in years, with 5-11 SO LeVaughn Cobb, 5-10 SO DeAndre Berry, 5-11 SO Norris McKinley, 6-3 FR Luke Stine, 5-9 SO Isaiah Lewis, 6-2 SO Donnovan Breech (scheduled to be medically cleared Dec.21), and 6-1 SO Noah Livingston as the main rotation.

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

if rumors are true loveday will suit up for THE ACADEMY and they will beat our dragons.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Loveday is at Baylor.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Geronimo wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 pm Loveday is at Baylor.
Loveday’s younger brother is in school at Gallia.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Thought he just played baseball ?that same rumor went around last season ?

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Zane Loveday is listed on Gallia's roster on hudl.

6'8 Clary and 6'5 Loveday. That might present a problem.

Post by pfloyd »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:33 pm Zane Loveday is listed on Gallia's roster on hudl.

6'8 Clary and 6'5 Loveday. That might present a problem.
TSYS , did Clary get injured in football where he will not be playing hoops to start the season?

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:56 pm TSYS , did Clary get injured in football where he will not be playing hoops to start the season?
I'm not sure @pfloyd. I do know that he played in GA's final playoff game v Athens but I'm not sure of his injury status.

Post by pfloyd »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:09 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:56 pm TSYS , did Clary get injured in football where he will not be playing hoops to start the season?
I'm not sure @pfloyd. I do know that he played in GA's final playoff game v Athens but I'm not sure of his injury status.
... I know it was posted when I put out the preseason rankings that he had been injured - I hope not! Want to see all of the youngsters be out on the court ... that combo in the paint of Clary & Loveday will be a tough draw for any team to try to negate ... I'm interested to see how the rest of the GAHS youngsters from last year's team have grown/improved ... the Blue Devils needed to get scoring from the perimeter to offset the inside game of Clary (now Loveday as well) ... good pieces across the board for GAHS ...

RHRedmenLive
Freshman Team

Post by RHRedmenLive »

2021-22 Varsity Roster.jpg

Prince
Riding the Bench

Post by Prince »

Anxious to see Ironton play . Really nice Freshman and good guard play. May struggle early because of Football but will get better . Go Tigers

Return to “Boys Basketball”