SOC Boys Preview Schedule 11/19/21

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: SOC Boys Preview Schedule 11/19/21

Post by smurray »

Waverly went 5-0 at Ft. Loramie Saturday against some very good teams.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Tiger78 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:18 pm Did NB lose that much or is Waverly just that good? Or maybe it's a little of both.
If Waverly was in D4 I think they’d run the table straight to a state title. New Boston only has two players returning from last seasons team that actually played (I think) Jackson and Voiers. Started Beasley who was at Webster like two days ago. No doubt they are down big this year but could still pull together a good league record.

It’s just previews though so what do I know.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Symmes Valley win?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

mattash wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:42 pm Symmes Valley win?
Ended in a tie 20-20

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Watched all the games tonight some good surprises. Also some very lopsided games

Green basically played without their starting 5.
South Gallia played with a LOT of their players in Street clothes on the bench and I believe maybe 2-3 of them are usually starting.
SW was missing two kids but they have TALENT and POTENTIAL
East has great numbers but very young.
Clay is VERY YOUNG
Eastern has some interesting mix of players. They play hard but it’s going to be tough for them in SOC 2.
Valley was one of the top 2 most impressive teams they really get after it.
Western really got after it tonight and has a deep bench. They play great on the ball defense.
Northwest is really still trying to get its gears going. They play hard and guard but offensively just didn’t hit shots and I know they’re missing some pieces but I believe scarberry will have his team ready and hopefully healthy soon.
Oak Hill got out and ran the floor well and they rebounded! Also their shooting looks to be vastly improved. Coach McKinnis has them going in the right direction.
Symmes Valley surprised me and is very gritty and competitive. Got after it on the boards I thought.
St. Joe and West hard to gauge because west played basically 2 lineups for each quarter and St. Joe still in transitioning to new bench boss. West defense is always tough and I think Coleman and Dixon could have huge nights along with the rest of the athletes they have.
Waverly is LOADED and fun to watch.
New Boston has a lot of work ahead of them and have growing pains but they weather it they’ll be ok.
Minford is one of those teams I’m anxious to see the difference between game time and previews but they have some really good talent.
No Burg and no ND to judge but leaving the SOC 2 is going to have some AWESOME matchups this year. Waverly has to be the favorite but 2-5 or even 6 could be very interesting and I could see a lot of splits and maybe even one or two knocking off waverly.

In the end this is all a preview and nobody really does much. Most teams don’t put a lot of stock into them which is fine. Only thing it helps is with who “looks” good or gives us an early look at the eye test for teams. When the real games begin that’s when it all matters.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Trojan7, Appreciate the great run down. Some what surprised with a few of the scores but it’s the Previews. With only one week until the start of the regular season I’m sure some fan bases are concerned with the number of key players not playing in the Preview. Hopefully all those kids sitting out are due to minor injuries and nothing that will cause them to miss extended time! Looking forward to this winter.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

What was the Valley/Clay and West/St.Joe scores?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Valley and clay was 50-13

Who were the two players for Webster not there?
Campbell and ?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Pantherfan
Freshman Team

Post by Pantherfan »

We saw some good and some bad last night. I was impressed with several teams. I agree about Waverly. I do not see anybody in league beating them. After them, the SOC2 looks strong all the way down to Eastern who lost a lot to transfer and are very young. Most teams didn't show much, some teams (Green, South Gallia I think) didn't play their starting five, while other teams had some players hurting that didn't play.

I actually disagree about New Boston being down a lot. They are down some but I think they will compete with Western, Green and Notre Dame in league once the free agent acquisitions settle in there. Even though Waverly rolled them, I don't believe there was a team at the preview that would have done much better against Waverly.

East, Clay, and Eastern are probably going to have rough seasons. Valley looked very good and apparently they are going to press you to death with their starters the whole game even up 30+. They will compete but some of the other coaches that I talked to saw what they did with the press up so big and thought it was very unnecessary and lacked class. Maybe the new coach wanted to make a statement. He did but that may back fire on him when he faces a team like Waverly that could easily do the same thing to him, he did to Clay.

I thought every other team looked very good. I think the state of the SOC is very good based on what I saw, with some very young teams at the bottom that are a year or two away from competing.

I wish we could have seen Notre Dame and Burg.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Trojan7, Pantherfan good stuff ! thanks for posting "something" the rest of us can put in our "mind palace" as to what is out there this season ... previews? I go to get the programs LOL, eyes on size, who are the athletes, length, fundamentals even if the starters aren't playing you can see which teams/coaches prioritize the fundamentals (passing, rebounding etc) Who knows how to play D vs those teams with superior athletes who take advantage (karma comes into play in the regular season) ... thanks again guys - greatly appreciate the rundowns and insights ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”